PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 277, 278, 279, 280  Next
Author

Replies: 494

Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:42 am      Post subject: Re: Could this be my Jan Zoltek?

andreazoltek wrote:
I am searching for Antoni Zoltek in Pstrągowa death - he was born to Jan and Marianna Ruman (Zimny, depends on the records you look at). He married Tekla Stanek in 1864 (listed as Ziolko) in Geneteka for marriage.

I think I may have found his father - Jan Zoltek (Zubko?) in Pstrągowa death records. Can someone help translate the death record for me?

My ultimate goal is to find out what happened to Antoni Zoltek, but I can't find him anywhere in Poland for his death (especially since I don't know his parents' names and can't find his birth record). His wife, Tekla Stanek, died in 1883 shortly after my great-grandfather (Michael Zoltek) was born. I do know that Antoni's marriage record says his family is from Dobrezchow.

I could be way off base that this could be Jan Zoltek, Antoni Zoltek father and married to Marianna Ruman (Zimny), my head is going in circles with places and names.

Thanks,
Andrea Zoltek

G'day Andrea

Hopefully Dave has taught me well - I'll give it a go, no guarantees, happy for any and all corrections.

Record No -15
Date of Death – 25 February, 1869
Date of Burial – 27 February, 1869
House number where died – 93 from Sielu(?) (abbreviated)
Name and details – Joannes (Jan) Zubko husband of the surviving wife Anna born (nee) Drisal administrator (?)(not sure what of) Sieluerisis (?) – “I buried the same”
Religion, Sex, Age – Catholic, Male, 62 years
Cause of Death - inflamalis pulonum - Inflammatory pustules
Notes – Provided with the last rites.

Cheers
Ted
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 827

Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 5:22 am      Post subject: Re: Could this be my Jan Zoltek?

andreazoltek wrote:
I am searching for Antoni Zoltek in Pstrągowa death - he was born to Jan and Marianna Ruman (Zimny, depends on the records you look at). He married Tekla Stanek in 1864 (listed as Ziolko) in Geneteka for marriage.

I think I may have found his father - Jan Zoltek (Zubko?) in Pstrągowa death records. Can someone help translate the death record for me?

My ultimate goal is to find out what happened to Antoni Zoltek, but I can't find him anywhere in Poland for his death (especially since I don't know his parents' names and can't find his birth record). His wife, Tekla Stanek, died in 1883 shortly after my great-grandfather (Michael Zoltek) was born. I do know that Antoni's marriage record says his family is from Dobrezchow.

I could be way off base that this could be Jan Zoltek, Antoni Zoltek father and married to Marianna Ruman (Zimny), my head is going in circles with places and names.

Thanks,
Andrea Zoltek

Hi Andrea,
This Jan is certainly not the father of Antoni. His surname is Zubek / Zubko, he was married to Anna Drwal. Their children were born around the same time as Antoni.

Regards,
-Barb
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2810

Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 11:36 pm      Post subject: Re: Could this be my Jan Zoltek?

TedMack wrote:
andreazoltek wrote:

Thanks,
Andrea Zoltek

G'day Andrea

Hopefully Dave has taught me well - I'll give it a go, no guarantees, happy for any and all corrections.

Record No -15
Date of Death – 25 February, 1869
Date of Burial – 27 February, 1869
House number where died – 93 from Sielu(?) (abbreviated)
Name and details – Joannes (Jan) Zubko husband of the surviving wife Anna born (nee) Drisal administrator (?)(not sure what of) Sieluerisis (?) – “I buried the same”
Religion, Sex, Age – Catholic, Male, 62 years
Cause of Death - inflamalis pulonum - Inflammatory pustules
Notes – Provided with the last rites.

Cheers
Ted

Hi Ted,

Basically you did a good job translating a document which is of no importance to anyone and was written by a scribe whose handwriting and knowledge can at best be said to have been “challenged”.
They say it is important to dot the letter “I” and cross the letter “T”. It seems that the saying was unknown to him or the pastor of the parish didn’t pay him enough to bother with the details. And his spelling was not really very good. The cause of death in Latin is actually “inflammatio pulmonum” (an inflammation of the lungs).

Finally the notation about the burial is sepulivi idem (I, the same, buried [him is understood]). If it was a question of “Bring out your dead” instead of “idem” (masculine nominative singular) the pronoun would have been “eundem” (masculine accusative singular).

This is only part of your continuing Latin education course work since no one really cares about the record.

Isn’t Latin fun?

Dave
TedMack

Post Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:46 am      Post subject: Re: Could this be my Jan Zoltek?

dnowicki wrote:

Hi Ted,

Basically you did a good job translating a document which is of no importance to anyone and was written by a scribe whose handwriting and knowledge can at best be said to have been “challenged”.
They say it is important to dot the letter “I” and cross the letter “T”. It seems that the saying was unknown to him or the pastor of the parish didn’t pay him enough to bother with the details. And his spelling was not really very good. The cause of death in Latin is actually “inflammatio pulmonum” (an inflammation of the lungs).

Finally the notation about the burial is sepulivi idem (I, the same, buried [him is understood]). If it was a question of “Bring out your dead” instead of “idem” (masculine nominative singular) the pronoun would have been “eundem” (masculine accusative singular).

This is only part of your continuing Latin education course work since no one really cares about the record.

Isn’t Latin fun?

Dave

G'day Dave

"Fun" is an interesting choice of words! In regards to the cause of death at first I came up with "inflammation of the lungs" until I checked what the scribe actually wrote and that confused me.

The education continues.

Cheers
Ted
andreazoltek

Replies: 22

Post Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:57 am      Post subject: Baptism Record in Cieszyn

Thanks to Barb helping me find the Cieszyn records - I got a lead on others in my family. This is Jan Kolaczyk's daughter, Margareta.

I can't make out much but February in the first column and some names?

In her father's column - Johann Kolaczyk (soomething) born May 24, 1974 in Andrychów. Married August 7, 1904 in Teschen (?).

Mother - Anna (Name?) of Paul Grzegarz? born April 3,1875 in (Carmeral?) Ellgoth.

Godparents - Johann ? in Karnin? Marie in Teschen.

Any other tips or items on the page that can help me? The town at the top is not something I could find on google?

Here is the link - it is in the book Births 1902-1907 A Page 81 of 274

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/p2hhhdvguf6ykyd3z6m51/AOVzR_JNJIWcdk0VkUMRKvs/Urodzenia%201902-1907%20A?preview=14_445_19_0081.JPG&rlkey=ozjpexumctgjiu6ulhhql9d68&subfolder_nav_tracking=1&st=cx07sd0q&dl=0

Thanks,
Andrea

snip margareta.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  970.33 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

snip margareta.png

Send e-mail
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 827

Post Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:32 pm      Post subject:

Andrea,
It's German, not Latin. I can translate, but Michael does it better than me.
-Barb
andreazoltek

Replies: 22

Post Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:44 pm      Post subject:

I put it in the German translations - my apologies. Between Polish, Latin, and German I keep going back and forth on figuring out the written language!
Send e-mail
Kurt1322

Replies: 71

Post Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:46 am      Post subject: What does the word "Cohal" mean?

I run across this word often but I never find it in any Latin word guides or Google Translate. Can someone please help me out before my OCD goes crazy? I really would appreciate it. I attached a few examples from a catholic parish burial book in Poland.

Thank you
Kurt

Cohal Definition.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  214.15 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Cohal Definition.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:58 pm      Post subject: Re: What does the word "Cohal" mean?

Kurt1322 wrote:
I run across this word often but I never find it in any Latin word guides or Google Translate. Can someone please help me out before my OCD goes crazy? I really would appreciate it. I attached a few examples from a catholic parish burial book in Poland.

Thank you
Kurt

Kurt,

The answer to your question is found in the historical background and nature of the documents you have found. The area was seized by Prussia during the First Partition of Poland in 1772 and was incorporated into the Kingdom of Prussia (German: Königreich Preußen; Polish: Królestwo Pruskie) as part of the Netze District (German: Netzedistrikt; Polish: Obwód Nadnotecki). Prussia dictated the content to be included in the records. For civil purposes they required the religion of individuals found in the records to be recorded. A major clue is found in the upper right corner of the image you posted—Catholic Death Records. The reason why you cannot find the word listed anywhere is due to the fact that the word is a truncation or abbreviation or compression of the Latin word Catholicus meaning Catholic. If one did not know the background and purpose of the records it would probably be impossible to guess the meaning of the word which is of interest to you. Rest assured that the meaning is definitely Catholic.

Wishing you continued success,

Dave
TedMack

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:57 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

dnowicki wrote:
TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

This is the balance of those B&B and a couple of deaths.

Cheers
Ted

Hi Ted,

It will probably be a few weeks before I look at your translations. This is a busy time with other hobbies like gardening. It is still not time to plant out tender vegetation such as peppers and tomatoes. Last night the temperature was well below freezing for about 4 or 5 hours. Now everything is still being cared for in the greenhouse. The safe time to plant tender vegetation outdoors is not until after mid-May. There is also an ongoing genealogy project for my grand niece and nephew and somehow everything seems to take longer with each passing year.

I’ll get to it when I have the opportunity and the ambition. In the meantime keep up the good work.

Vale,

Dave

G'day Dave

Just wondering if you have had the "opportunity and the ambition" to look at the records I posted on April 24?

Cheers
Ted
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:43 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
[

G'day Dave

Just wondering if you have had the "opportunity and the ambition" to look at the records I posted on April 24?

Cheers
Ted

Hi Ted,

No Joke…At the beginning of this week I made an attempt to work on your posts. Since I didn’t know when the records were posted I began to read pages going backwards. Unfortunately, I became totally frustrated by the large number of extraneous posts which had nothing to do with Latin translation requests and gave up. Continuing to search did not seem like a productive use of time. If you would let me know the page on which your records and translations appear I’ll get on the task.

Thanks,

Dave
TedMack

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:52 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Hope you are well and enjoyed the offerings over Easter. I too am very fond of ham, kielbasa, eggs and homemade baked goods, throw in some kapusta to top things off. Hopefully your chilli peppers have sprouted and are ready to be transplanted, although not sure if the weather permits.

Thanks for your reply the other week, I missed when you first posted it and only saw it earlier this week. Those explanations are most helpful. I have a few more for the same family, this time Baptisms and deaths. Will need to split them even though they are only a line or two. As usual when time permits or when you get the inclination.

I'll start with the B&B's - the Ławiński's must have been in the know with the gentry, or they all drank at their inn as I did struggle with some of the titles of the gentry:

par. Kościelec (Kalisz) – begins in the year of our Lord 1778 (?) [not sure of the ending - that would be the "mus" you explained before, this looks like "vus"]
Mycielin
Body of entry: on the 4th January I, Józef Grzegorz Ciemski, Canon (?) (?), baptised the infant born of the married couple Andrzej Ławiński and Marianna from Mycielin, she was given the name Agnieszka. Godparents, well-born Jan Martynski, Estate Manager, Kościelec, and Helena Otuska (?) (?) from Słuszków.

par. Kościelec (Kalisz) – 1779
Mycielin
Body of entry: on the 14th August, I as mentioned above baptised the infant born on the 13th of the same month of the married couple Andrzej Ławiński and Marianna Józefowna from Mycielin, she was given the name Helena. Godparents, honourable pan Jan Kruszewski, regent (????) , Kościelec, and Salomea Otuska, maiden, daughter of the honourable pani Otuska (?) (?) from Słuszków.

par. Kościelec (Kalisz) – 1782
Mycielin
Body of entry: on the 22nd January, I as mentioned above baptised the infant born on the 17th of the same month of the married couple Andrzej Ławiński and Marianna, to whom was given the name Maciej. Godparents, (?) young Jan (?) Janicki, organist from Kościelec and the noble Maryanna Złotnicka.

par. Kościelec (Kalisz) – 1784
Mycielin (there appears to be 2 records, one for the 22nd April as well - the 22nd appears first and then the 19th about 4 entries later?)
Body of entry: on the 19th April, baptised an infant, he was named Wojciech of the married couple Andrzej Ławiński and Marianna, female innkeeper from Mycielin, Godparents, well born Joachim Kurczewski and Salomea Otuska, maiden, from Cekow Parish ?

Cheers
Ted

G'day Dave

This is the first one posted on Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:58 am

Cheers
Ted
TedMack

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:54 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

This is the balance of those B&B and a couple of deaths.

Cheers
Ted

par. Kościelec (Kalisz) – 1787
Mycielin
Body of entry: on the 21st September, I as mentioned above baptised the infant born of the married couple Andrzej and Marianna Ławiński, female innkeeper, to whom was given the name Tekla. Godparents, his honour Maciej Łuczycki heir to all of Mycielin and Barbara Satczynska consent ??

par. Kościelec (Kalisz) – 1789
Mycielin
Body of entry: on the 11th October, I Grzegorz Ciemski (K.K.K. ?) baptised the infant born of the married couple Andrzej Ławiński and Marianna, female innkeeper, to whom was given the name Marcin. Godparents, Maciej Łuczycki master of the commoners of Brześć Kujawski and heir to all of Mycielin ? ? and the honourable Pani Katarzyna Kruszewka wife of his honour ????? from the village Kościelec.

par. Kościelec (Kalisz) – 1791
Mycielin
Body of entry: on 24th February died Marcin son of Andrzej Ławiński, one year old and was buried in the church under the altar.

par. Kościelec (Kalisz) – 1821
30 Mycielin
Body of entry: In the year 1821 on the 12th July was buried in the cemetery in the village of Mycielin, Marianna Ławiński who died on the 12th at 9 in the morning, age 47, fortified with the Sacraments.

Dave this is the other posted
Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:18 am
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1055

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:39 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

dnowicki wrote:
TedMack wrote:
[

G'day Dave

Cheers
Ted

Hi Ted,

No Joke…At the beginning of this week I made an attempt to work on your posts. Since I didn’t know when the records were posted I began to read pages going backwards. Unfortunately, I became totally frustrated by the large number of extraneous posts which had nothing to do with Latin translation requests and gave up. Continuing to search did not seem like a productive use of time. If you would let me know the page on which your records and translations appear I’ll get on the task.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave and Ted,
If you go to Page 274 of the Latin Translations thread, you will find the ones you want.
Best regards,
Sophia
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:28 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
[

G'day Dave

Cheers
Ted

Hi Ted,

I have two general recommendations: 1)Pay close attention to the voice of verbs in the text. The voices in Latin are the active voice and the passive voice. The active voice is most commonly found in records and the passive voice is found to a lesser degree. Latin verbs have principle parts which are called principal parts because they are the parts from which all other verb forms are derived. The principal parts of a regular verb are the first person singular present indicative active, the present infinitive, the first person singular perfect indicative active, and the supine. Older dictionaries substituted the perfect passive participle for the supine. It really makes no difference since either one works as a principal part. Regular Latin verbs have six tenses: the present, the imperfect, the future, the perfect, the pluperfect, and the future perfect. Three of these tenses deal with past events: the imperfect, the perfect and the pluperfect. Of these three the perfect is the tense that appears in records because it is considered the historical tense. In the active voice the perfect tense is derived from the third principle part of a verb. The verb is made up of a stem which provides the base meaning of the word and a tense sign followed by personal endings. If we take the verb baptiso (to baptize) the third principal part is baptisavi. The stem derived from the third principal part is baptis. The tense sign is av. The personal endings are in the singular “i” (first person) “isti” (2nd person) and “it” (3rd person) and in the plural are “imus” (1st perrson), “istis” (2nd Person) and “erunt” (3rd person). In ecclesiastical records one generally only finds the first and third person forms of the verb. The passive voice is derived from the 4th principal part. In the passive voice verbs consist of two parts the perfect participle and the auxiliary verb a form of the verb “to be”. Since participles are verbal adjectives they have case number and gender. The genders are masculine, feminine, and neuter. The singular endings for these three are “us”, “a” and “um”. The forms regularly employed in records are the third person singular and the third person plural. The singular endings are “um”, “am” and “um”. The plural endings are”os”, “as”, and “a”.The auxiliary verb forms are “fuit” (singular) and “fuerunt” (with the alternate form “fuere) in the plural. Watch for all of the above signs when you see a verb in order to turn to determine what the verb form actually is—active or passive singular or plural, masculine, feminine, or neuter. Paying attention to this should help you produce a very accurate translation.

Finally please post no more than three records at a given time followed by a substantial interval of time before posting another set. This makes me feel much more inclined to deal with the post without just putting it on the back burner.

The batch follows.

Vale!

Dave

par. Kościelec (Kalisz) – begins in the year of our Lord 1778 (?) [not sure of the ending - that would be the "mus" you explained before, this looks like "vus"]
Mycielin
Body of entry: on the 4th January I, Józef Grzegorz Ciemski, Canon (?) (?), baptised the infant born of the married couple Andrzej Ławiński and Marianna from Mycielin, she was given the name Agnieszka. Godparents, well-born Jan Martynski, Estate Manager, Kościelec, and Helena Otuska (?) (?) from Słuszków.

The ending is “vus” for “octavus”,the ordinal numeral for eighth. To convert the Arabic Numerals to Latin longhand the year would read Millesimus Septingentesimus Septuagesimus Octavus —Begins the One Thousand Seven Hundred Seventy Eighth Year of Our Lord (Incipit Annus Domini etc..
The priest’s title is Canon of Kalisz
& Maryanna, both from Mycielin
to whom the name was given—“impositum est” the 3rd Person Singular Perfect PASSIVE of the verb impono.
fuerunt: 3rd Person Plural Indicative Active of the verb “to be” and is translated “were”. The verb ‘to be” (sum, esse, fui, futurus) is an irregular verb in Latin, as it is in other Indo-European languages.
Estate Manager of Kościelec,
Helena Otuska, owner of the property of the village of Słuszków.
Everything else is fine.

par. Kościelec (Kalisz) – 1779
Mycielin
Body of entry: on the 14th August, I, as mentioned above, baptised the infant born on the 13th of the same month of the married couple Andrzej Ławiński and Marianna Józefowna from Mycielin, she was given the name Helena. Godparents, honourable pan Jan Kruszewski, regent (????) , Kościelec, and Salomea Otuska, maiden, daughter of the honourable pani Otuska owner of the property of the village of Słuszków.

To whom was given the name….Cui is the Dative (Indirect Object) of the verb impono as above. His priest uses the Passive Voice more often than the Active Voice.
Jan Kruszewski, directing for that time the affairs for the owner of the village of Kościelec
Everything else is fine.

par. Kościelec (Kalisz) – 1782
Mycielin
Body of entry: on the 22nd January, I as mentioned above baptised the infant born on the 17th of the same month of the married couple Andrzej Ławiński and Marianna, to whom was given the name Maciej. Godparents were the renowned* Jan (?) Janicki, organist from Kościelec and the noble Maryanna Złotnicka.

Godparents were the renowned* Jan (I can’t read his second name) the organist of Kościelec
Note: *a synonym for famatus
Th rest is fine.

par. Kościelec (Kalisz) – 1784
Mycielin (there appears to be 2 records, one for the 22nd April as well - the 22nd appears first and then the 19th about 4 entries later?)

Yes, there are two entries for the same child. The father is an innkeeper. It would probably be better to translate the title of his wife as “the wife of the innkeeper…” rather than “female innkeeper”
Body of entry: on the 19th April, baptised an infant, he was named Wojciech of the married couple Andrzej Ławiński and Marianna, female innkeeper from Mycielin, Godparents were (fuernt) well born Joachim Kurczewski and Salomea Otuska, maiden, from Ceków, Parish of Kosmów.

par. Kościelec (Kalisz) – 1787
Mycielin
Body of entry: on the 21st September, I as mentioned above baptised the infant born of the married couple Andrzej and Marianna Ławiński, female innkeeper*, to whom was given the name Tekla. Godparents were (fuerunt) his honour Maciej Łuczycki heir of Mycielin and Barbara Satczynska owner of (I can’t read the name of the village).
Note: *cf. Previous record
The rest is OK.

par. Kościelec (Kalisz) – 1789
Mycielin
Body of entry: on the 11th October, I Grzegorz Ciemski (K.K.K. ?*) baptised the infant born of the married couple Andrzej Ławiński and Marianna, female innkeeper, to whom was given the name Marcin. Godparents were Maciej Łuczycki master of the commoners of Brześć Kujawski and heir to the goods of Mycielin and the honourable Pani Katarzyna Kruszewka. Wife, the great regent of (I can’t read the place name) and the holder of judicial authority for the village of Kościelec. (The wife held judicial authority in her own person.)
Note:* He is the same dude as in the baptism of Agnieszka. He was not a member of the infamous Ku Klux Klan but a Canon of the Cathedral of Kalisz. The letters are for his title in Polish.

par. Kościelec (Kalisz) – 1791
Mycielin
Body of entry: on 24th February died Marcin son of Andrzej Ławiński, one year old and was buried in the church towards the main altar.

par. Kościelec (Kalisz) – 1821
30 Mycielin
Body of entry: In the year 1821 on the 12th July was buried in the cemetery in the village of Mycielin, Marianna Ławiński who died on the 12th at 9 in the EVENING, age 47, fortified with the Sacraments.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 277, 278, 279, 280  Next Page 278 of 280

Jump to: