PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:00 am      Post subject: In search of Bober and Knapczyk families in Polish Highlands

My great grandparents on my side, Kazimiera Bober, age 56, and Ursanta Krol-Fedro Bober, age 36, immigrated to the U.S. through Ellis Island on May 4, 1910 With Their children, Mary (age 14), Jan ( age 9), Anthony (age 6), Charles, age 4, Ludmilla (age 2), and Anna (Bober), Fenik (age 16) with her children, Joseph (age 2) and Helena (age 6 months). Anna's husband, Josef Fenik, came to the U.S. earlier, where he worked as a miner in Republic, Pennsylvania, USA. They all declared their last residence as Zakopane, Galicia Province. They arrived on the Kaiser Wilhelm II, sailing from Bremen on April 26th , 1910. Kazimiera also had other sons: Wojeiech, Joseph, and Stanislaw. My grandfather, Wojeiech (Albert) Bober (age 1 immigrated to the U.S. through Ellis Island on June 24, 1904, on the ship Patricia, leaving Hamburg on June 10, 1904 . Wojeiech's brother, Joseph Bober (age 16) immigrated to the U.S. prior to 1904. Wojeiech Bober and Joseph Bober declared their nationality as Slovakian. Wojeiech Bober stated he was baptized in Zakopane, Poland and his last residence was Klin or Klem, respectively, and Joseph Bober declared as his last residence Orava. I suspect that Wojeiech (Albert) came from Arva County and the town of Klin in present day Slovakia and Joseph Bober came from Orawa in Poland, which was included as part of Galacia controlled by Austria in the late 1800's and prior to WWI. Can anyone help with the above facts? How close am I in my statements?

My great grandfather on my grandmother's side, Fredric Knapczyk Ferdinand immigrated to the USA in 1896, married Anna Ratulowska who immigrated to the U.S. in 1899. Anna went back to Ciche, Poland in Nowy Targ in September 1906 to bring back Marya Knapczyk (age 15), Louis Knapczyk (age 9), Paul Knapczyk (age 5) and Ferdinand Knapczyk (age 4). They all arrived through Ellis Island on October 9, 1906 on the ship Kaiser Wilhelm II, leaving the Port of Bremen. Both Louis and Paul were at Ellis Island IDENTIFIED AS born in the U.S., while Mary and Ferdinand were immigrating for the first time. I assume That Fredric Knapczyk Ferdinand's first wife died, leaving Mary and young Ferdinand orphans, which necessitated Anna to go back to Ciche, Poland with her young children. My grandmother, Marya, said she was baptized in Ciche, Poland. Was there a St. Mary's Church is Ciche in 1892? Is the dioceses in Nowy Targ, Poland? Is this where I would find my family records?

Marya Knapczyk and Wojeiech Bober, who are my grandparents, were married in Chicago on January 18, 1911, at St.. Aldalbert's Church. Witnesses, who signed the Certificate of Marriage, were Catherine Ratulowska and Joannes Karpiel. Marya was born on February 2, 1892 and Wojeiech (Albert) was born on April 4, 1886.

Anyone who can help me track down my family in Poland, please contact me at [email protected] Many thanks in advance!

Roger Bober Laughing

Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: