PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Military Portraits
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:11 pm      Post subject: Military

Since I just got done saying the Lenart brother in France has dark hair, and on closer inspection this brother has dark hair too, I thought I should explain that I believe that I have a picture of him when he was a boy, and he was a blondie like his boys. The brother that married in France had a full head of hair (at least when he married), and different features, and a different wife. I did find another picture of the brother in the military uniform with his wife, and probably his first born son that I will attach. Thanks!

Polska27.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  84.39 KB
 Viewed:  14614 Time(s)

Polska27.jpg

Shellie

Replies: 1000

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:25 pm      Post subject:

OK, so this is not really a military portrait, but I love this video showing paintings of Polish soliders set to music of the song: Hej hej ułani malowane dzieci - with English subtitles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGJprWPh3AM&feature=related

Screen shot 2011-10-26 at 9.24.55 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  253.5 KB

Screen shot 2011-10-26 at 9.24.55 PM.png

sheep17

Replies: 123

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:58 am      Post subject:

Hi Shellie,

I've been having fun with the music on that website -

The pictures are great, but many of the songs are those I learned
in school 70/75 years ago. (Cicero, IL & Chicago).

Major nostalgia.

Leonore
Cheri Vanden Berg

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:53 pm      Post subject: Polish POW and/or Displaced Person

If anyone has any doubts about sharing what little they know, please don't. You might find a connection now or in the future. I didn’t think I knew more than my great grandparents’ names and that they were from near Nowy Targ, when I first joined Polish Origins. I am very lucky to have some photos, and also very fortunate that people at Polish Origins have given a voice to some of these photos that have nothing written on the back. I posted a picture that I was told was my great uncle (surname Lenart). I almost didn’t. He had a plain uniform, and all the other men’s uniforms that were posted were much more impressive. I didn’t even know for sure if he was in the Polish army!

Now I have been told that he is wearing a Polish army uniform, a field dress, and that he is certainly a POW because the eagle was removed from his cap (ahhh, no wonder his uniform seemed so plain). I didn’t know that after the 1939 defeat, the Nazis made prisoners take off the eagles from their uniforms. Apparently they also took photos of their prisoners. It's not hard to find online photos of Polish soldiers that had the eagles on their uniforms right after they were captured, and photos without the eagles on their uniforms when they were in POW camps.

I took a closer look at the photo that I also posted, Polska27, where he posed with his wife and baby, and it looks like army barracks in the background. On the back of this one it’s stamped: Photo G. Reinhardt, 3048, Hann.-Munden. I’ll post a scan. It turns out that there was a displaced persons camp there.

The following information was found at: http://www.dpcamps.org/dpcampsGermanyHa.html

Hann, Münden, #291, same as Hannoversch-Meunden,

Hannoversch-Münden, Land Niedersachsen (British zone), mostly Polish,
These two names are the same town, its correct name is Hann. Münden in Land Niederachsen (British occupation zone).
In Hann. Münden existed a Polish DP camp from about August 1945 to June 1950 situated in the Kurhessen Barracks (German name Kurhessenkaserne). The camp had the DPAC (Displaced Persons Assembly Centre) number 291 from August 1945 to June 1946 (and probably further on). From September 1947 to May 1949 the camp had the DPACS number 49/291 and from May 1949 to June 1950 simply the DPACS number 49. The UNRRA team 223 was in charge of the camp from March to September 1946. The IRO Area time 704 was in charge of the camp from September 1947 to June 1950. Wolfgang Strobel, author of Post der befreiten Zwangsarbeiter - Displaced Persons Mail Paid in Deutschland 1945 – 1949

I had never heard that he had been a POW, but I had no reason to doubt an expert’s opinion. Now it also appears that he was in this displaced persons camp in Hann.-Munden. Since there is something on his cap in this photo, and I don’t think it’s an eagle, I wonder if he worked with the group that was running the camp, or just lived there. It appears that he eventually relocated to Cusset, France, as the photo he had taken with his wife and three sons was taken there (Thanks again Shellie!!)

I would be very interested if anyone knows other displaced persons that had lived in this camp, and of course anyone that knows anything about my great uncle. Thanks!

Hann.-Munden.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  92.94 KB

Hann.-Munden.jpg

stacey

Replies: 95

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:42 am      Post subject: military uniforms in question

I have 2 scanned images of family in uniform, I believe that some of my relatives were army, air force merchant marine. I would like to show these 2 pics (poor quality) and hope someone can tell me something.
Thank you

uncle john stasik.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  187.31 KB

uncle john stasik.jpg

uncle bill stasik.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  237.08 KB

uncle bill stasik.jpg

Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:24 pm      Post subject: Re: military uniforms in question

stacey wrote:
I have 2 scanned images of family in uniform, I believe that some of my relatives were army, air force merchant marine. I would like to show these 2 pics (poor quality) and hope someone can tell me something.
Thank you

Looks like US Army WWI. There was a Army Air Corp but they wore the same uniform. (there was no separate branch of the Air Force until 1947) A Merchant Marine is a civilian who worked on any type of commercial ships, non-military.
Send e-mail
Eric

Replies: 11

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:03 pm      Post subject:

Hi everyone, here is a portrait of my Grandfather Ludwik with two others. We are certain he is the one seated. It is quite possible that one of the others is his brother who went MIA in either WWI or the R-P war.
There is nothing that I can recall on the back of the photo, although it has been a while since I had scanned it. (I'm in Florida my parents house in Canada.) Next time I get up there I am going to go through the photo album and scan everything I can.

My dad says he was a cavalryman in WWI. Grandad was in pretty rough shape in his later years, but dad said when they would go horse riding, as soon as Grandad sat on that horse his back was ramrod straight, and he knew what he was doing up there!

His military record book from the Polish-Russo war says he was trained as Infantry, but ended up serving in artillery. There is a stamp in the book 21. PULK ARTYLERJI POLOWEJ BATERJA 6. (My Google translate is 21 Field Artillery Regiment, Battery 6).

granddad_small.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  278.22 KB
 Viewed:  14617 Time(s)

granddad_small.JPG

Henryk
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 313

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:38 pm      Post subject:

http://www.stankiewicze.com/index.php?kat=29&sub=276
On the above site is a picture of the badge your grandfather wore. The full name of the regiment is 21. GÓRSKI PUŁK ARTYLERII POLOWEJ.
paulsbates

Replies: 12

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:33 pm      Post subject: photo polish military???

Here are two photos of my Busia's father, Francizek Grolle, The town they were from is on one, she left Poland in Sept, 1939 and carried these in her pocket book, does anyone know if this is military or police uniforms, the whistle makes me think police, any opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Paul

FrankGrolle.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  145.34 KB
 Viewed:  14612 Time(s)

FrankGrolle.JPG

Gajda 004 (2).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  550.87 KB

Gajda 004 (2).JPG

Send e-mail
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:31 pm      Post subject:

Paul, pretty sure it's a Austro-Hungarian army uniform in which Poles were required to serve in. This uniform era would be just prior to WWI. The 3 stars indicates he was a sergeant. You have a nice close up of his hat and service ribbon so I suggest you go to the A-H website, the guys over there can tell you a lot more.
Bill

Here is my relative with a similar uniform. (He was from Slovakia, they served in the A-H Army also.)

http://austrohungarianlandforcesdiscussionforum.yuku.com/forums/1#.T7MkZ8W8iWY

t_sgt_andrew_ferro_180.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  32.16 KB

t_sgt_andrew_ferro_180.jpg

Send e-mail
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:14 pm      Post subject: Re: photo polish military???

paulsbates wrote:
Here are two photos of my Busia's father, Francizek Grolle, The town they were from is on one, she left Poland in Sept, 1939 and carried these in her pocket book, does anyone know if this is military or police uniforms, the whistle makes me think police, any opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Paul

Paul,
On the side of the picture is the name of the photo studio: “Starza Majewski, Tarnow i Iwonicz”. The owner was Leon Starza Majewski. He had a photo studio in Tarnow and a subsidiary in Iwonicz. I found the information here:

http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/Starza_Majewski_%28Tarn%C3%B3w_%28Polen%29%29/Fotostudio
http://www.fotorevers.eu/de/catalog1.php?details=2122

You'll see the back of two other photos from the same photo studio. Compare it to yours, or even better, post the back of your photo for us also. I love these old pictures!
Ute
ChuckG

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:47 pm      Post subject:

Here area few of the many portraits my great-grandfather was sent by family who remained behind. These are WWI era.

Other than a few key people, I can't tell you much. I don't know when, why, or where these photos were taken.

scan0003.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  366.7 KB
 Viewed:  14606 Time(s)

scan0003.jpg

ChuckG

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:50 pm      Post subject:

Here's another from some formal event.

Any clue what it is?

scan0007.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  456.72 KB

scan0007.jpg

Slav
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 172

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:33 pm      Post subject:

Hi, re the second picture posted by ChuchG above. It's a no-brainer for Polish people but it may be not so obvious to others. The gentleman at the front on the left is Marshall Jozef Pilsudski. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%B3zef_Pi%C5%82sudski
I don't recognize the others. Any historians specializing in Poland between the two world wars here? Smile

The military has been outside the scope of my interests so far but the discussion and pictures shown here are very interesting.
Thanks!

Last edited by Slav on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
drkarr
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 34

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:52 pm      Post subject: Polish POW's

My great aunt Julia was abducted by the German army and brought to Germany to be a servant in a German officers house in Ludwigsburg, Germany. Stalag 5-A was located in Ludwigsburg, Germany. The first prisoners detained at the camp had been Poles, taken captive during the German invasion of Poland in 1939. As the war progressed, prisoners of other nationalities would arrive.

After the end of the war thousands of displaced persons, mostly poles were housed here, but were quickly transferred to permanent buildings of German army barracks around the city

These are Polish POWs in a German Camp. I don't know enough German to tell if BAYER (as written on the building is a town or a functioning building in the camp - infirmary, etc. Based on the plumpness of the soldiers, this is still early in the war. They are either cavalry or horse artrillery (the boots) and infantry putees. No distinguishing insignia on the uniforms.

Jeff

Polish POW's in a german camp 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  97.64 KB

Polish POW's in a german camp 1.jpg

Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Poland and its people in old photographs and postcards All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Page 2 of 3

Jump to: