PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Aniol Surname
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author

Replies: 88

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:16 pm      Post subject: Aniol Surname

Has anyone ever heard of a family called Aniol? I just discovered that this was my great-great grandmother's maiden name. She lived in Luslawice, Galicia, Poland during the 19th century. Her husband's name was Martin Nowak. One of their children was my great-grandmother, Marya Nowak Osiecka.
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:48 pm      Post subject:

Hi Lisa! How cool to find a new family name!!!!! Aniol seems unusual - but what kind of expert am I? Did you notice whether the L on the end had a line through it. I wonder if the name was Anioł - I believe that means Angel.

What was her first name? Did you find it in the church records - which ones?
Lisa

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:22 pm      Post subject:

Shellie!

So great to hear from you!

Actually, I came across my great-grandmother's obituary, which I'd never seen before. I even found her date of birth! Her first name was Mary, but before she came to this country she was "Marya".

It says that Great-Grandma Osiecki was the daughter of Martin and Tulia (Aniol) Nowak. I know in previous records her mother was listed as "Julia"" or "Julianna", yet she's listed as "Tulia" in the obit, so the name "Aniol" could very well be a misspelling. Heaven knows where the family got the information from for her obituary. For that matter, either the undertaker or the newspaper could've made a typo. I really have no idea and so I thought I'd check around and see if anyone on this website had ever heard of this name.

"Aniot" could very well be the correct name. I'll have to do some searching and see what I come up with.

Thanks!

Lisa
Very Happy
Shellie

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:35 pm      Post subject:

Lisa,
That's great news that you found your g-grandmother's obituary! My great aunt Mary was also called Marya before she came to the US. After I replied to you, I found that the name really isn't that uncommon. There were several Anioł in the Ellis Island records, several from Galacia, but none listed from Lusławice or Zakliczyn. There were several Anioł that come up on Google searches also. Believe it or not, I actually made contact with several interested people in Poland by contacting people on Facebook with a particular last name (for the other side of my family, not the one with the Luslawice connection).

So, now that you have a birthdate, have you tried to find her in the church records?

Give my best to your family! Shellie
Lisa

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:02 pm      Post subject:

I just discovered the name Aniol today. I did a quick look on Ancestry. The name is there, I just have to make the time do the resesrch. I'll also definitely be looking on the Church records. There's bound to be someone with the name in there. I'm really excited about this find!

I never thought of looking on Facebook. That could be interesting.

Thanks for the info. You have so much knowledge that you're willing to share. Your generosity is always appreciated.

Please keep in touch. It's always wonderful hearing from you. I'll pass along your greetings to the family.

Lisa : )
Shellie

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:14 pm      Post subject:

Lisa,
I still have my notes from when you and I first explored Lusławice church records. Every birth record for the children of Konstanty and Mary Nowak Osiecki states that Mary's parents were Martin Nowak and Julianna Koza. Same for the birth record of the child of Mary's sister Catherine (the one where Konstanty was godfather).

I wonder where the name Anioł comes from. It could be a nickname, a middle name or mother's maiden name? I've never noticed the surname Anioł in any of the Zakliczyn parish records - but that doesn't mean it isn't there, since I was always focused on other surnames.

I have a hunch that Julianna was from Konczyska because I never found her children in the Luslawice records. Next time I go to the LDS library, I'll look at the Zakliczyn parish record index and see what I can find. Cheers!
Lisa

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:48 pm      Post subject:

You're right! I forgot about that! Julia/Julianna Koza! Yet clearly written in the obituary is "Martin and Tulia (Aniol) Nowak." Perhaps Tulia/Julia and Aniol combined are supposed to mean "Julianna"? Or, as you say, it could've been a nickname. Then again, if all 12 of her surviving children got together to give the information to the undertaker, he/she must have come out of that meeting mighty confused!

I don't know that she'll know, but I'll ask my Mom tomorrow and see if the name Aniol rings any bells.

Again, thanks : )
Shellie

Post Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:09 am      Post subject:

Lisa,
There were no Aniol surnames in the Zakliczyn parish index on the LDS microfilm. However, the surname Aniołek, or maybe Aniotek (the writing is not clear) appears.
Lisa

Post Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:31 am      Post subject:

Thanks Shellie! No one in my extended family knows where the name comes from. It's the first anyone has ever heard of it. That's what makes it so strange. Perhaps it was a mistake on the newspaper or the undertaker's part. I think I might send for my great-grandmother's death certificate and see how her mother's name is listed on that.
Shellie

Post Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:00 am      Post subject:

You could also try contacting the funeral home that handled your grandmother's funeral. Chances are that they submitted the obit to the newspaper after someone in your family wrote it, or provided the funeral home with the info to write it. A few years ago, I visited the funeral home that handled by great-grandfather's funeral in 1943. They still had the records and gave me copies! I've also written to several that emailed me details or sent copies.

I hope you can solve this mystery! Enjoy the weekend.
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:01 pm      Post subject:

Lisa, that rang a bell with me and I checked my tree and found ANIOL! I have a Valentine ANIOL that was from DANIEC, OPOLE, Poland (PRUSSIA-which means it was under German control at that time) His wife was Josefa ANIOL and she is listed as from DOBODZIEN, Prussia. This is 1825-1850 time range. These folks ended up in Bexar County, Texas (San Antoino area) in the 1860's. There is a lot of Polish people in this area of Texas. Your probably not related but Aniol is definitely a Polish name.
Send e-mail
MDuplaga
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 103

Post Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:56 pm      Post subject:

Hi Lisa, Shellie & Bill,

I also have an "Aniol" (it does mean Angel in Polish-I've been told) surname that I'm trying to figure out if she is related, as a cousin to my Grandfather Jan F. Duplaga, from Brzozow, Poland.

There was an Aniela (aka Nellie) Duplaga married to Wojciech (aka Albert) Aniol. They used the last name of Angel. Aniela died Feb. 13, 1962. Aniela & Albert are buried at St. Adalbert Cemetery in Dillonvale, Ohio

I have listed the only info I have, to see if anyone reading this post is familiar with any of these names.
Mary
Louise Walczak

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:58 pm      Post subject:

Lisa-
I have an Agniol too!
My grandfather Jakob Walczak got married in Chicago Illinois in 1917--his second marriage in the USA. The church record from Holy Innocents Church indicates that his mother was named Marya Aniol. His father's name was Casper Walczak. Their ethnicity is Polish. The Ellis Island ship manifest (1909) indicated that Jakob's home in Russia was Zbeltowice. At this point I am assuming that Zbeltowice (which exists today) was Jacob's parents' home. I haven't gotten any farther than this with my research.
Louise Walczak
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:44 am      Post subject:

Lisa wrote:
Actually, I came across my great-grandmother's obituary, which I'd never seen before. I even found her date of birth! Her first name was Mary, but before she came to this country she was "Marya".

It says that Great-Grandma Osiecki was the daughter of Martin and Tulia (Aniol) Nowak. I know in previous records her mother was listed as "Julia"" or "Julianna", yet she's listed as "Tulia" in the obit, so the name "Aniol" could very well be a misspelling. Heaven knows where the family got the information from for her obituary.

Lisa,

Maybe your great-great-grandma was "an angel" for others and all called they Anioł Smile. Who knows Question

Anioł, with Polish "ł" pronounced like English "w", is quite popular surname in Poland. Yes, it literally means "angel".

In 2002 there were 3722 people using the surname Anioł living in Poland and many of them lived in the old Galicia as well as Tarnow area, where Lusławice is located. Detailed map of the surname distribution can be found here https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/Anio%C5%82 .

Listen how your surname is pronounced in Polish (speakers turned on): http://say.expressivo.com/lMg0ujt8 .

Click here http://polishorigins.com/databases/index?s=anio%C5%82 to check what can be found about your surname in Polish Genealogy Databases.

Sources
Send e-mail
Shellie

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:43 am      Post subject:

Hey Lisa,
Any new clues about the Anioł reference in your g-grandmother's obit?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: