PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:40 am      Post subject: Donations for translations

Ryszard, aka Staripolak64, has already helped many of us in translating dozens (if not hundreds) of Old Cyrillic Russian records. I know personally some Russian native genealogists who have serious problems with deciphering this old style language handwriting script.

When we started this topic 'Russian records translations' I asked Ryszard about gratification for his translation job. He replied to me that he didn't expect any reward for the work and told me about his life's philosophy: “Do all the good you can, for all the people you can, for as long as you can”.

I know, however, that all of you are very grateful for his invaluable skills which he generously offers to everyone who is asking for it. I do realize that many of us feel that we would like to requite him even in a symbolic way for service for which in other case we would have to pay a few dozens of $.

We decided internally (just informing Ryszard about our decision) that for those of you who would like to repay Ryszard or Marcelproust or Elzbieta for Polish records translations or Dave Nowicki for Latin records translations we would make possible to make a donation for this purpose.

All of the rules of translating in this thread remain unchanged. You can still freely upload scans/pictures of your records and ask for their translation into English. The donation is only a not obligatory option.

All the donations which will be followed by an email to the address [email protected] with the subject line For Ryszard” or “For Elzbieta” or for any other community member will be transferred to them after deduction of PayPal charges and applicable taxes.

Click here for the Support PolishOrigins.com page to make donation.

Update: Nov 21, 2017
From now on you can make a direct donation to Marcelproust for his translations to his PayPal account: [email protected] . All other rules and the translation guidelines remain unchanged: https://polishorigins.com/records-translations-guidelines/ .

Last edited by Zenon on Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:05 am; edited 8 times in total
Send e-mail
Zenon

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:23 am      Post subject:

Patrycja wrote:
Zenon, I think its wonderful to do this, but I am not very trusting of the intranet so can you provide a address to which some of us can send it via regular mail?

And if some have to add the extra fees for the money orders what the fees are so
they can be added .

Patrycja,

I have been using PayPal for many years now. At the beginning I was only sending money but for some time I also have been collecting payments for Forefathers Traces Tours service this way. I have never had any big problems with it.

I also tried to use money orders but I remember their charges were high and I had a lot of hassle when I wanted to withdraw the money I received.

Maybe in the future there will be created better alternative for electronic money transfers but currently I use PayPal almost exclusively. They are in business for more than 10 years, have more than 90 million members worldwide and are the main way of conducting transactions on eBay.com.

If you don't trust this service I think you can try to ask Ryszard if he would accept money orders directly to his address.
Send e-mail
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:15 am      Post subject:

I totally agree with Zenon, I have used Paypal for over 10 years and never had a problem. They make it even easier now to deposit your funds into your account (instead of using your bank account) . My local stop and shop store (7-11) has a Paypal card you purchase for a small sum. Then you add your money immediately right their at the same counter (I put down $100). I drove home and and got online and purchased a book from Amazon. Using Paypal my transaction went through in seconds and gave me a receipt to print out. My book arrived in 3 days! (You can check your balance anytime online-very secure). Bill
Send e-mail
Polskamom

Replies: 7

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:09 pm      Post subject:

I know this is very late but I wanted to point out to those who do not live in Europe that banks "over there" do not use personal checks, money orders etc. The only way to safely send money to someone in Poland is to use a bank wire transfer and the fees can be prohibitive. Using Money Express (I use this rather than my bank) or PayPal is the only inexpensive way to get money to Poland.
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:55 am      Post subject:

Aga did a wonderful job helping me understand a Polish article that I wanted to translate. I am making a donation as a token of my gratitude.
bwalsh1956

Replies: 12

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:22 pm      Post subject:

hi- i'd like to designate my donation to MarcelProust but can't find where i would indicate that on the form. is it after you put in your credit card info? can you only do it in paypal? can you tell me how i would do that?
thanks
Zenon

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:36 am      Post subject:

Bwalsh,

You can use PayPal or your credit/debit card. The second option is also available through the PayPal form. When you enter the amount of donation and click continue on the next page you will find link "Title (optional)". There you can add instruction that the donation is for Marcelproust. Alternatively, you can send us email infoATpolishorigins.com with the donation purpose.

Thank you
Send e-mail
ksmets
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 34

Post Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:44 pm      Post subject: Donations for translations

I just made a donation, but did not see how to indicate who it was for. Dave has helped me in the past, but perhaps others have as well. I will try to make a donation on a regular basis. The work you all do is amazing!

Kristine

Visit poster's website
Zenon

Post Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:31 am      Post subject:

Kristine,

You ad Dave will receive an email confirming receipt of the donation.

Thank you.
Send e-mail
singingfalls
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 97

Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:38 am      Post subject:

I just made a donation for marcelproust. Thanks so much for this forum.
Send e-mail
Visit poster's website
Zenon

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:56 am      Post subject:

Short announcement about donations for translations:

To simplify the process from now on you can make direct donation to Marcelproust (Karol) for his translations to his PayPal account: [email protected] . All other rules and the translation guidelines remain unchanged: https://polishorigins.com/records-translations/
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: