PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 10

Post Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:59 pm      Post subject: babka (probably spelled wrong)

When I was a young kid, liveing in Paterson, New Jersey and downstairs from my sainted Polish/American grandmother, Anna Siska Raykiewicz, I still remember her bakeing babka. It was always a special treat for my sisters and I to enjoy this seldom baked sweet bread with our grandparents. Of course, good kava was always included.

Before I moved to Florida, the ethnic bakeries still existed in North Jersey, and authentic Polish babka could still be found. Here in SW Florida, its almost impossible to locate. I've even tried to bake it myself. But I failed to get my grandmother's style of baking into the bread. No matter how I tried.

As I write this post, I can almost smell and taste that wonderful Polish yellow sweet bread with the white raisins in it.

Bruce F. Raykiewicz
Magdalena
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 69

Post Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:27 pm      Post subject:

Hello Bruce,

I can imagine your feeling. I also remember some tastes of my childhood (especially of the dishes made by my grandmother Smile )

I guess that your grandma's babka was based on yeast. I asked my mother (she is the best in cooking and baking) what was the secret of a good leavened babka. She said: many eggs, warmth when babka grows, time (babka needs quite a lot of time to grow before baking) and thorough kneading (for the dough not stick to your hands).

Maybe it is nothing new for you but maybe it will help. I hope it will. So don't give up and try one more time.

If you would like to tried recipe we will find one.
ErieAtalntic7597

Replies: 10

Post Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:15 pm      Post subject: babka (probably spelled wrong)

Magda,

Sorry that I did'nt respond quicker to your post about the wonderful babka that my grandmother used to bake.
By what you describe from your mother's method of baking babka, that sounded very familiar to me.
Thanks,

Bruce R.
asteeber

Replies: 26

Post Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:19 pm      Post subject:

I can empathize with you. I still live in NJ, but noone makes a good babka like the kind my mother used to make. There used to be a wonderful bakery in Kenilworth that did a pretty good version, but they have ceased to exist. Sad

That and her vanillekipferl are what I miss the most around the holidays!
KKempa

Replies: 43

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:05 pm      Post subject:

Hopefully, I'll be eating some this Sunday. Mom always made "paska" for Easter but she's very old now. Mom's Ukrainian, Dad was Polish, so I guess "paska" (bet I spelled that wrong!) is the Ukrainian word. A sweet egg bread with yellow raisins and a "cross" on the top.

I'll ask mom for her recipe -- it's terrific! If she doesn't have one ("oh, I just put in a little of this and that, a handful of this and a cupful of that..."), there's a good one in my old Ukrainian cookbook.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Polish cuisine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: