PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 63

Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:50 pm      Post subject: Genealogists recommended/college students?

Is there any one out there who can recommend some one who can read Russian and polish? Is it possible to hire a college student part time? Which university can I e-mail might have students interested in doing this? I thought possibly they would be more reasonable. Thank you for your attention in this matter. Carol
Send e-mail
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:26 am      Post subject:

Carol,

If you need someone who can read Russian and Polish and want to translate e.g. genealogical records from Russian I recommend you forum on http://www.genealodzy.pl where there a few volunteers doing this. However, they mainly communicate in Polish and here: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=242 you can find a few hints how you can deal with that.

Recently, my friend translator (English -> Polish) recommended me a person working in a one of colleges in Poland who can read old Cyrillic script and translate church records directly into English. She also works with students who can do it.

I haven't had yet chance yet to work with the recommended person but if you write me more what are your expectation (How many records? Into English from Russian and Polish? etc.) I can contact her and, hopefully, reply you all with more details.
Send e-mail
carolt71

Replies: 63

Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:53 am      Post subject: Genealogy Poland/Russia

But I am looking for someone to help me with my genealogy. I've hit so many blocks it's unbelievable. I'm not sure of my great grandparents names and can't get any verification for relatives. Maybe someone can help me go forward. I can give them all the information I have and see if they can help locate some information. I thought I found my grandmother'birth, however,the date was different and the parents were different. Talk about frustrated! What is your experience with help from someone on that end? Thanks Carol submit
Send e-mail
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:27 am      Post subject:

Currently, because of many duties, I am not able to take on any new research project. The only exception I sometimes make is research for people arriving here in Poland whom I assist in their genealogy tours. That was, for example, in case of Louie. We did some research before his arrival as well as during our common tour which moved his many years research forward. (You can read about our tour, as well as the research, in the article written by Louie himself here: Sitting down in my GGGrandfather's house.)

However, I can recommend you whole-heartily genealogy research services of Kasia Grycza. Kasia (her website: http://www.discovering-roots.pl/ ) is a very experienced researcher. I have had a good fortune to consult her a few cases, especially from area of her expertise (old Prussia partition of Poland, Poznan area) and I have to tell you that she is not only a very knowledgeable person but also kind and has great communication skills.

For years I have had also opportunity to collaborate with Tad Wysocki, but at the beginning of this year he started a new bigger business project and also has limited amount of time to do genealogy. However, why not try. His genealogy business address: http://rootspoland.com/ .

There are many other good genealogists I know but the main problem is that they can't communicate in English...

You can always write about your research brick walls here, upload scans of documents, ask specific questions. Maybe you will get valuable advise from other researchers from this Forum having similar experience.
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: