PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:39 pm      Post subject:

Quote:
I also wouldn't have been a good farmer's wife, my pigs, cows, and sheep would all have died of old age ... Laughing

Quote:
As you started to starve your farmer would have traded you in for another, Laughing

Well, good for him and good for me!
Quote:
Pets and critters are two different animals. I loved my dogs, critters I envision steaks, pork chops and drumsticks. <grin>. I am really glad I experienced this now, but it wasn't much fun when your doing it, except for riding the bacon boys! Laughing Laughing

Bill, did I really say I'll never hate you?? Laughing Laughing I never lived on a farm and never experienced all this, but I guess, if I like it or not, it was (and probably still is) reality and many people see it this way.
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:48 am      Post subject:

In reference to my earlier long lost relative story on page 5 of this topic, PO member Georgia offered to take some pictures for me at Resurrection cemetery in Chicago. I am now in possession of 12 new super nice grave marker photos of my Howaniec, Oblazny, Solczyk and Budz's relatives. Thanks Georgia!

Solczyk.JPG
 Description:
Solczyk
 Filesize:  128.16 KB
 Viewed:  12764 Time(s)

Solczyk.JPG

Lt. Richard Solczyk.jpg
 Description:
1st Lt. Richard Solczyk
 Filesize:  116.06 KB

Lt. Richard Solczyk.jpg

Robert Bartlomiej Howaniec.JPG
 Description:
Bartlomiej Robert Howaniec
 Filesize:  149.34 KB

Robert Bartlomiej Howaniec.JPG

Bernice Hovaniec.JPG
 Description:
Bronislawa Bernice Oblazny Howaniec
 Filesize:  150.39 KB

Bernice Hovaniec.JPG

Send e-mail
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:50 am      Post subject:

Bill Rushin wrote:
In reference to my earlier long lost relative story on page 5 of this topic, PO member Georgia offered to take some pictures for me at Resurrection cemetery in Chicago. I am now in possession of 12 new super nice grave marker photos of my Howaniec, Oblazny, Solczyk and Budz's relatives. Thanks Georgia!

Bill,
I'm so glad to see that Georgia took these nice pictures for you at Resurrection Cemetery! I didn't remember if I had checked the Chicago Tribune Historical Archive for obituaries for your above family members. I looked for them today when I saw the pictures and started with the name Richard Solczyk. There's a real sad article about him in the Chicago Tribune of Dec 30, 1967: "Learn Son Died in Viet; Get His Note Next Day. It says that "The family of Lt. Richard Solcyn, 23, received a letter from him yesterday, the day after they were notified by the defense department that he was killed in action ..." I'll send you the full text, if you like. If you would like me to look for the other obituaries, please let me know.
Ute
PS: I just saw there is another article on him with a picture.

Last edited by Ute on Thu May 17, 2012 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:25 pm      Post subject:

Thanks Ute, I think you already gave me Bernice and Roberts. I can check on Find a Grave, I think I posted them there. And I have Richards from the Vietnam memorial, yes it was sad as he was only in country 2 months and a mine explosion killed him. Then they get the note 2 days after notification. Very sad indeed.

But I could use help on two graves she sent that must be grandsons of Jan Budz buried nearby,

John B. Butz (notice spelling different)
Birth 07 Mar 1922 in Chicago, Illinois
Death 16 Mar 1966 in Chicago, Cook, Illinois

Robert Butz (wife Evelyn nee unknown, 1929-1977)
Birth 3 Jun 1924 in Chicago, Illinois
Death Sep 1973 in Chicago, Cook, Illinois
Send e-mail
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:49 am      Post subject:

Bill Rushin wrote:
... But I could use help on two graves she sent that must be grandsons of Jan Budz buried nearby,
John B. Butz (notice spelling different)
Birth 07 Mar 1922 in Chicago, Illinois
Death 16 Mar 1966 in Chicago, Cook, Illinois
Robert Butz (wife Evelyn nee unknown, 1929-1977)
Birth 3 Jun 1924 in Chicago, Illinois
Death Sep 1973 in Chicago, Cook, Illinois

Bill,
I found a birth certificate for John Budz, b. March 7, 1922, at https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N73Y-P3R
The family is indexed under the name BUCZ, residence in 1922 was 4613, S. Laflin St., Chicago, parents Bruno Bucz and Lillian Kolpak. Lillian’s place of birth is given as Budapest. John was their first child. I’m going to attach the record for you*.

When the 1930 Census was taken, Bruno and Lillian Butz had four sons, John, 8 ys, Robert, 6 ys, Bruno Jr., 3 ys., and Edmund, 1 yr. According to John Butz’s obituary that I found in the Chicago Tribune Historical Archive they also had a daughter Maryann. I'm going to e-mail you the obituary.

I looked for birth certificates and obituaries for Robert Butz (1924-1973) and the other children, but couldn't find any so far.
Ute

*Source: "Illinois, Cook County Birth Certificates, 1878-1922," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N73Y-P3R : accessed 18 May 2012), Lillian Kolpak in entry for John Bucz, 1922.

BUCZ, John b 1922.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  558.67 KB
 Viewed:  12770 Time(s)

BUCZ, John b 1922.jpg

Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:18 am      Post subject:

Quote:
... But I could use help on two graves she sent that must be grandsons of Jan Budz buried nearby,

Thanks Ute, the obit you sent was a big help as it had several maiden names listed. I was able to add 12 more persons to the family. Very Happy

I haven't posted any of the Budz photo's because I'm very close to posting the large file I have on Jan Budz murder in the BOY. His gg-grandson Bruno III promised me a picture of Bruno in his police uniform is what I'm waiting for.

Oh I just noticed this --
Quote:
PS: I just saw there is another article on him with a picture.

Could you please send this- I could add this pic to his FAG memorial.

John B. Butz USNR.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  144.45 KB
 Viewed:  12768 Time(s)

John B. Butz USNR.JPG

Send e-mail
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:28 pm      Post subject:

Ute wrote: PS: I just saw there is another article on him with a picture.
Quote:
Oh I just noticed this -- Could you please send this- I could add this pic to his FAG memorial.

Bill,
I'm glad the obituary was helpful. The PS referred to the second article I found on Richard Solczyk' death with a picture, is this the one you want?
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:23 pm      Post subject:

Yes Ute, that's correct.
Send e-mail
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:52 pm      Post subject:

Bill Rushin wrote:
Yes Ute, that's correct.

Okay, Bill, I just e-mailed you the article with the photo!
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:02 pm      Post subject:

Thought I would share this invite for anyone who may have ties to the BOY- via my Facebook link. (Thanks to Ed Kozak!)

Back Of The Yard NEWS - St. Joe's 175th Anniversary Mass. Hello, Please pass this invitation along to anyone in your circle who has or knows of someone who has "ties" to St. Joe's in BOTY. ("Memory Lane" tour) Thanks much , Yo

September 1, 2012 St. Joseph Church (48th & Hermitage) Chicago, IL. 60609
Please assist us in getting the word out and feel free to refer people to my email ([email protected]) or cell phone information (773 218-3809).

What is set in stone as of now is that Mass will be celebrated by Cardinal George at 4:00 PM on Saturday September 1st. Reception will take place at the Mayfield Banquets from 6:30 to Midnight. Reservations are $60 for anyone over the age of 13 and $25 for kids between the ages of 5-12. Along with celebrating with dinner, open bar, cultural entertainment and dancing, we will have either a silent auction or raffle to benefit our "NOW & FOREVER" Campaign associated with our Church Tower Project.

We also (on the day of the Celebration) OPEN the old Grammar School for tours, letting people walk down memory lane, more details to come. St. Joseph Parish also has a facebook account, StJoseph Parish to keep up with whats news in the parish.
Thanks and God Bless MARK WOJCIECHOWSKI
St. Joseph's 125th Anniversary Committee
When Sat Sep 1, 2012
Where 48th & Hermitage - pass the word.
Send e-mail
Georgia

Replies: 12

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:36 pm      Post subject: St. Joseph's 125th Anniversary Celebration

Hello to all former BOY residents!

Fourteen members of my family will be attending the banquet celebration. I understand they will be doing some kind of recognition of all the closed ethnic parishes in BOY like Sts. Cyril and Methodius, St. Rose of Lima, St. Augustine, St. John of God, and others.

I'll take my camera and see if anything interesting is on display.

Georgia
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:49 pm      Post subject: Re: St. Joseph's 125th Anniversary Celebration

Georgia wrote:
Hello to all former BOY residents!

Fourteen members of my family will be attending the banquet celebration. I understand they will be doing some kind of recognition of all the closed ethnic parishes in BOY like Sts. Cyril and Methodius, St. Rose of Lima, St. Augustine, St. John of God, and others.

I'll take my camera and see if anything interesting is on display.

Georgia

Wish I could attend Georgia, sounds like a great get together for your family. Please pass the word about PO - BOY and all of the Gorale's looking for connections to Chicago. Maybe you could put up a flyer to our website. Bill
Send e-mail
MARKJAKUBCZAK

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:55 pm      Post subject:

Great reading about the BOY, brings back all kinds of GREAT memories. I grew up on 49th and Damen and Sacred Heart was our family parish. Moved to the burbs in 1976 but often think about the old neighborhood.
Eric

Replies: 11

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:32 pm      Post subject:

Hello Bill and everyone,

I have had some more time in the last few weeks to sit down and do more research on my family. To make a long story short, I discovered a Great Uncle (even my father didn't know about him) who lived in the Back of The Yards for quite a few years.

According to the 1930 census my Great Uncle Joseph Gil (misspelled as Gila) and his family lived at 4319 Paulina Street. At this time he is listed as working in the Stockyards. They were living here since at least 1916, according to the birth certificate of his earliest child.

Between 1930 and 1940 they moved out of the BOY to South Kildare Avenue.
On the 1940 census he is listed as working at a pickle factory, but I don't know where. On his 1942 draft registration card, he lists his workplace as Wilson & Co., at the corner of Ashland and 42nd street which is in the BOY.

I thought it would be nice to add another family to the Back of The Yards map! Smile

Edit: OOps, I forgot to mention that he was also married at Sacred Heart Church, months apart from my Great Uncle Jakob.
Eric

Replies: 11

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:52 pm      Post subject:

PaniKohani wrote:
"...my great uncle Jakob Gil and his bride Zofia Bafia were married at Sacred Heart Church on Feb. 14 1915. I would guess they lived in the area. The priest's name was F.J. Karabasz.

Of note too, my "Uncle Joe" Jozef Gil, who is my godfather and I think second cousin (My great uncle's son) was president of the Highlanders Association in the late 70's...."

Eric,

FYI: There is a curent GIL surname in neighboring Archer Heights. It belongs to the current owner of a longtime neighborhood grocery, known as Gilmart (I'm not sure if his first name is Joe, but his last name is definitely Gil): Here is the store contact information: 773) 585-5514 · 5050 S Archer Ave, Chicago, IL 60632 ·

Please forgive my lateness in reply friend, I just seemed to stop my research until now. I am going to get in touch with them and see if there is any relation. My GU Joe lived quite literally just around the corner on Kildare Ave! Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Polish Gorals - Highlanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next Page 7 of 9

Jump to: