PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 43

Post Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:38 pm      Post subject: Silesia

I'm trying to assist a friend, also a Kempa, who believes her father was born in Silesia, year 1912. I haven't been able to find any records and don't know which country would hold Silesian records in their archives. Wikipedia says Silesia was part of Germany at that time, that the population was mostly German.
dkupil

Replies: 16

Post Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:57 pm      Post subject:

Hi
The LDS has films about Silesia if you know the town of birth and religon of the person you are researching. Before 1874 all records were kept by the church, after 1874 civil records were kept by the civil authority. Church records were recorded in old german if you are not fleunt in german you would need help in translating at some LDS History centers they can translate or give a list of translators. If you have time read up on the history of Silesia, Silesia came under many crowns Polish, Bohemia, Hapsburg and Prussia. After 1945 Silesia is mostly in Poland parts in Czech. In the Opole region there is a large german minority. I hope this info is helpful.
Good Luck in your research
dkupil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: