PolishOrigins Forum

 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
Message
Tina_C



Joined: 19 hours ago at 5:20 am
Replies: 1
Location: Denmark

Back to top
Post Posted: 18 hours ago at 6:10 am      Post subject: Maria Michalowska/Michalzowska born 1893/97 in Grabki
Reply with quote

Hello,

I am Danish and just recently disovered that my maternal great-grandmother was Polish! I have been looking into my family's history, but it is very difficult to find information about my great-grandmother and her parents/siblings/relatives.

The problem is that in Danish archives, her name is spelled in many different ways. First she is listed as Maria and then later Marie (which was more common in Denmark). From my understanding of Polish names, she could even originally be called Marianna?

Her last name is listed as Michalowska, Michalska, Michalzowska and several variants of this. Probably due to Danish ears not being used to hearing Polish names and getting them wrong when writing them down... Laughing

Her birthdate is also different in various Danish documents such as churchbooks and censuses: 10 May 1897, 16 May 1897, 16 May 1893, 23 May 1893! Even the churchbooks do not agree... Her death certificate states 16 May 1897.

What I know for a fact:

She came to Denmark around 1915 to work on farms, mostly as a milk maid. She met a man called Jens Johansen (my maternal great-grandfather) and married him in 1921 and had 4 children: Else, Holger, Gunnar and Oluf. She died in November 1945.

In the Danish churchbook with her wedding to Jens her birth place is listed as Grabki, Poland. She was baptised in Szydlow 26 June 1897. Here her parents are stated to be Martin and Valeria - I presume the Polish names would be Marcin and Waleria? Her father was a carpenter according to the churchbook entry listing her death.

I have tried searching Geneteka, but I cannot see a scan of the only result I found in Swiętokrzyskie province:
Marianna Michalczewska, born 1893 Szydłów, Grabki, parents Marcin and ?

Is there any way to find out her precise name and birth date? I would of course also be very interested in knowing if she had any siblings.

I appreciate any help I can get which can point me in the right direction. Smile

- Tina
View user's profile
Send private message
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor


Joined: 19 Nov 2022
Replies: 1667
Location: Norway

Back to top
Post Posted: 17 hours ago at 7:03 am      Post subject:
Reply with quote

Hi Tina,
Marianna, born in 1893, is likely your Marie. It appears that the surname was originally Michalczewski for men and Michalczewska for women.
She had at least two brothers: Adolf (born in 1887) and Józef (born in 1893).
I am enclosing Marianna's birth record. According to this, she was born on November 16th in Grabki, which belonged to the parish of Szydłów. Her parents were Marcin and Waleria née Pendzik.

https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=eng&bdm=B&w=13sk&rid=6338&search_lastname=michal%2A&search_name=marcin&search_lastname2=&search_name2=&from_date=1878&to_date=1900&rpp1=&ordertable=

Regards,
-Barb



Michalczewska Marianna, 1893 -216.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.64 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Michalczewska Marianna, 1893 -216.jpg


View user's profile
Send private message
Trish
PO Top Contributor


Joined: 23 Sep 2020
Replies: 587

Back to top
Post Posted: 16 hours ago at 7:44 am      Post subject: Re: Maria Michalowska/Michalzowska born 1893/97 in Grabki
Reply with quote

Tina_C wrote:
Hello,

I am Danish and just recently disovered that my maternal great-grandmother was Polish! I have been looking into my family's history, but it is very difficult to find information about my great-grandmother and her parents/siblings/relatives.

The problem is that in Danish archives, her name is spelled in many different ways. First she is listed as Maria and then later Marie (which was more common in Denmark). From my understanding of Polish names, she could even originally be called Marianna?

Her last name is listed as Michalowska, Michalska, Michalzowska and several variants of this. Probably due to Danish ears not being used to hearing Polish names and getting them wrong when writing them down... Laughing

Her birthdate is also different in various Danish documents such as churchbooks and censuses: 10 May 1897, 16 May 1897, 16 May 1893, 23 May 1893! Even the churchbooks do not agree... Her death certificate states 16 May 1897.

What I know for a fact:

She came to Denmark around 1915 to work on farms, mostly as a milk maid. She met a man called Jens Johansen (my maternal great-grandfather) and married him in 1921 and had 4 children: Else, Holger, Gunnar and Oluf. She died in November 1945.

In the Danish churchbook with her wedding to Jens her birth place is listed as Grabki, Poland. She was baptised in Szydlow 26 June 1897. Here her parents are stated to be Martin and Valeria - I presume the Polish names would be Marcin and Waleria? Her father was a carpenter according to the churchbook entry listing her death.

I have tried searching Geneteka, but I cannot see a scan of the only result I found in Swiętokrzyskie province:
Marianna Michalczewska, born 1893 Szydłów, Grabki, parents Marcin and ?

Is there any way to find out her precise name and birth date? I would of course also be very interested in knowing if she had any siblings.

I appreciate any help I can get which can point me in the right direction. Smile

- Tina


Hi Tina and Barb,

Tina, welcome to the forum.

Barb, great find! I did see the marriage year for Marcin and Waleria on Geneteka. Is this record online?

https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=eng&bdm=S&w=13sk&rid=S&search_lastname=michal*&search_name=marcin&search_lastname2=&search_name2=wal*&from_date=1887&to_date=1887

Regards,
Trish
View user's profile
Send private message
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor


Joined: 19 Nov 2022
Replies: 1667
Location: Norway

Back to top
Post Posted: 14 hours ago at 10:33 am      Post subject:
Reply with quote

Trish, can you tell me what year they got married?

-Barb
View user's profile
Send private message
Trish
PO Top Contributor


Joined: 23 Sep 2020
Replies: 587

Back to top
Post Posted: 13 hours ago at 10:45 am      Post subject:
Reply with quote

BarbOslo wrote:
Trish, can you tell me what year they got married?

-Barb


Hi Barb,

I blame this new computer for the wrong link. Haha

Marcin and Waleria married in 1887. Record #4. It's a different Parish. It's Pierzchnica.

Year: 1887
Record #4

Groom: Marcin Michalczewski
Groom's Parents: Józef, Marianna Gajewska

Bride: Waleria Pędzik
Bride's Parents: Wojciech, Wiktoria Czajecka

Parish:Pierzchnica

Warm Regards,
Trish
View user's profile
Send private message
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor


Joined: 19 Nov 2022
Replies: 1667
Location: Norway

Back to top
Post Posted: 13 hours ago at 11:19 am      Post subject:
Reply with quote

Here is this one:
https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=eng&bdm=S&w=13sk&rid=29&search_lastname=michalczewski&search_name=marcin&search_lastname2=&search_name2=waleria&from_date=&to_date=&exac=1&pair=1

-Barb



M-Michalczewski-Pendzik, 1887 no.4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  861.56 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

M-Michalczewski-Pendzik, 1887 no.4.jpg


View user's profile
Send private message
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor


Joined: 19 Nov 2022
Replies: 1667
Location: Norway

Back to top
Post Posted: 11 hours ago at 12:47 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

Date: January 23, 1887
Place: Parish Przechnica

Groom: Michalczewski Marcin, a bachelor, 32 years old, born in the village of Holendry parish Chmielnik, living with his parents in Przechnica, the son of Józef Michalczewski and Marianna née Gajewska the Michalczewski spouses.

Bride: Pendzik Waleria, a miss, 22 years old, born in the village Stawy parish Imielno, living with her parents in Strojnów, a daughter of Wojciech Pendzik and Wiktoria née Czajecka the Pendzik spouses.
View user's profile
Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB ©

© 2009-2026 COPYRIGHTS BY THE OWNER OF POLISHORIGINS.COM