PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 16

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:10 pm      Post subject: Can someone translate for me?

Hi Everyone,
I've found what I believe to be my great grandfather's death record and need it translated. I tried using Google translate but without knowing how to speak/read Polish, I'm just guessing at the spelling on most of the words and it's not going very well for me. I finally gave up! The record is not a "fill in the info" form — it's written in a short paragraph. I would love to know what it says. If anyone is willing to translate it for me, I would be forever thankful!

The record is from "Poland, Lublin Roman Catholic Church Books, 1784-1964"

Screen Shot 2013-03-29 at 2.54.55 PM.png
 Description:
Jan Laszczak death record
 Filesize:  213.16 KB
 Viewed:  7542 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2013-03-29 at 2.54.55 PM.png

sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 304

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:16 am      Post subject:

Polish transcription:

Na mocy zawiadomienia Starostwa Grodzkiego w Lublinie z dn 27.5.44[cut]
sporządza się następujący akt śmierci: Laszczak Jan, ........, ur. 16.[cut]
1897r. w Tarnawatce, tamże zamieszkały, zmarł w Lublinie 7.9.1943r.
Zawiadomienie załączone do akt U.S.C. [clerk signature]

Court announcement from 27 of may 1944?. Laszczak Jan was born 16 of ... 1897 in Tarnawatka near Lublin. He was living there, he died in Lublin 07 of september 1943.
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:27 am      Post subject: Re: Can someone translate for me?

Malutka wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I've found what I believe to be my great grandfather's death record and need it translated.

The record is from "Poland, Lublin Roman Catholic Church Books, 1784-1964"

Hi Malutka,

http://polishorigins.com/forum/files/screen_shot_2013_03_29_at_25455_pm_109.png

Typed:

Na mocy zawiadomienia Starostwa Grodzkiego w Lublinie z dn. 27.5.44 sporzadza sie nastepujacy akt smierci: Laszczak Jan, robotnik, ur. 16.?.1897 r. w Tarnowatce, tamze zamieszkaly, zmarl w Lublinie 7.9.1943 r. Zawiadomienie zalaczone do akt U.S.C. Ks. Stefan Pano

Translated:

Based on notification from Starostwo Grodzkie [Court of First Instance] in Lublin, dated 27 May 1944, the following act of death is issued: Leszczak Jan, laborer, born 16 ? [scan cut] 1897, in Tarnowatka, residing in the same place [Tarnowatka], died in Lublin on 7 September 1943. Notification annexed to USC acts [Urzad Stanu Cywilnego – state Registry of Civil Records]. Priest Stefan Pano

Note:
Digging with Starostwo Grodzkie (in Polish) we arrive to Sąd grodzki, and can learn that starting in 1928, and until 1950, it was Court of First Instance dealing with small civil and criminal cases.
http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C4%85d_grodzki
==

Kind regards,
Elzbieta
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:36 am      Post subject:

I see we were two persons translating at the same moment !
Malutka

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:43 am      Post subject: Can someone translate for me?

Thank you SO much Elzbieta and Sirdan! I am most grateful! Very interesting information.

Elzbieta, because this notice was from the "Court of First Instance", does this imply that there was some criminal activity related to Jan's death?

~ May
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:31 am      Post subject:

Malutka,

It is a simple record of death, you cannot say anything.

We have to put it in the context of time, and we may ask ourselves questions.

Usually when someone dies, there is a family or friends or neighbours reporting that to the appropriate entity.
But the common rules may be a little different at war time. The record was done in 1944, for the death in 1943, during the WWII, in Poland. When you google “Lublin 1943”, you have reports about tragic events, occupation, concentration camps, Majdanek.

You can easily imagine that someone could be killed in September 1943, then buried, and no death record, or just a record saying "man, uknown". He could have been killed by war event, but also killed by accident, or had have a heart attack.

It could be that his family or friends from Tarnowatka, were seeking him, and did not find, they needed time to learn what happened, all that during WWII, famine, bombs, horror, difficulties in transportation (everything pedestrain), people being scared one of another.
At the end you need Court notification to record the death, and proceed further.

Apparently someone asked the Court, and then the Court notified a priest in Lublin, who recorded it in USC.

Kind regards,
Elzbieta
Malutka

Post Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:05 pm      Post subject: Can someone translate for me?

Thank you, Elzbieta. Very interesting!

I figured that, because the record is from 1943/44, there is the possibility that his death may have been tragic. Many of my relatives in the Zamosc area were partisans, hiding in the woods, doing what they could to survive and fight against the nazis. I have the utmost for them. In 1987, I had the opportunity to visit my family, all of whom live in Wysokie, a village northwest of Zamosc and I've never met anyone who was as generous and loving as they are.

Again, thanks much for your help!

~May
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:13 pm      Post subject: Re: Can someone translate for me?

Malutka wrote:

I figured that, because the record is from 1943/44, there is the possibility that his death may have been tragic. Many of my relatives in the Zamosc area were partisans, hiding in the woods, doing what they could to survive and fight against the nazis.
~May

It seems your assumption was right. See the image attached below:

Gilberto

Laszczak.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.23 KB
 Viewed:  7542 Time(s)

Laszczak.JPG

Send e-mail
Malutka

Post Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:11 pm      Post subject: Can someone translate for me?

Oh my gosh! Gilberto, thanks for sending this to me! Where did you find it? Can you give me the website from which this information came?

I love it when the genealogy search takes me on adventures like this one.

Jan is the name of my great grandfather, but this man is not him. However, I'm 99.9% sure he is one of my relatives.

~May
Magroski49

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:40 am      Post subject: Re: Can someone translate for me?

Malutka wrote:
Oh my gosh! Gilberto, thanks for sending this to me! Where did you find it? Can you give me the website from which this information came?

I love it when the genealogy search takes me on adventures like this one.

Jan is the name of my great grandfather, but this man is not him. However, I'm 99.9% sure he is one of my relatives.

~May

May,

The website is www.straty.pl
Click on Szukaj w bazie and then type the surname (using the polish diacritical), and the first name, if you want to narrow your search.
You can narrow even more by filling the fields urodzenia (date of birth) and smierci (death).
There is 16 Jan Laszczak, three of them born in Tarnawtka, all in 1897.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:05 am      Post subject:

Gilberto, your advice leads to the correct answer Malutka was seeking for, with more explanations.

Her great grandfather was ŁASZCZAK Jan (L with stroke).

I looked up "GEISEL Lublin", and found an answer here:
http://www.majdanek.eu/articles.php?aid=547&acid=221&lng=1
"Following the beginning of 1942, the so called hostages (polnische Geisel) were referred to Majdanek. These were peasant farmers arrested and detained in the camp for failing to abide by Nazi laws requiring them to supply food. ... etc."

The last line from www.straty.pl says:
Informacje dodatkowe ZAM. TARNAWATKA; ZM. NA ANGINĘ ROPNĄ; PACZKI PCK 11.02.1944-15.02.1944; [KORESPONDENCJA NR 76/87, 721/87, 1175/87, 2153/88]
i.e.
ZAM. TARNAWATKA = residing in TARNAWATKA
ZM. NA ANGINĘ ROPNĄ = died from purulent tonsillitis / purulent angina (medical terminology in English to be checked)
PACZKI PCK 11.02.1944-15.02.1944 = parcels from Polski Czerwony Krzyz, Polish Red Cross
KORESPONDENCJA NR 76/87, 721/87, 1175/87, 2153/88 = references for correspondences

===
DANE OSOBOWE

nazwisko ŁASZCZAK
imię JAN
data urodzenia 1897-05-16
miejsce urodzenia TARNAWATKA
data śmierci 1943-09-07

INFORMACJE O PRZEŚLADOWANIACH

Źródło: Państwowe Muzeum na Majdanku

uwięziony
rodzaj uwięzienia obóz koncentracyjny
okoliczności zatrzymania GEISEL
miejsce osadzenia MAJDANEK
uwięziony
data śmierci 1943-09-07
Informacje dodatkowe ZAM. TARNAWATKA; ZM. NA ANGINĘ ROPNĄ; PACZKI PCK 11.02.1944-15.02.1944; [KORESPONDENCJA NR 76/87, 721/87, 1175/87, 2153/88]

===
Cheri Vanden Berg

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:15 am      Post subject: Re: Can someone translate for me?

Malutka wrote:
Oh my gosh! Gilberto, thanks for sending this to me! Where did you find it? Can you give me the website from which this information came.~May

"straty osobowe i ofiary represji" Google translates to "personal losses and victims of repression", so not everyone whose name is mentioned has died at the hands of the Nazis. I just thought you'd like to know that, in case it isn't clear. My great uncle Jan Lenart survived the war, but he is on the list because he was a POW. Oh, and you might also want to know that this site is a work in progress, so other names may be added.

Last edited by Cheri Vanden Berg on Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:50 am      Post subject:

(follow up)

I would consider more carrefully all 3 records from www.starty.pl

While the record 3 fits birth and death date, it might be that the record 2 is about the same person, the birth date differs only by day number. There is no number (Majdanek number) in record 3, while it is in record 2.

In:
Informacje dodatkowe ZABRANY 2.07.1943 Z JÓZEFOWA; POLE IV,BLOK10; LIST DO PCK Z 23.01.1944; PACZKA PCK 10.02.1944; [KORESPONDENCJA NR 444/78; 749/85]
we learn that he was taken to Majdanek from the village Jozefow, on 2nd July 1943.

It seems he was taken as hostage is Jozefow.
Jozefow is circa 22 km of Majdanek, in the South-East direction.

I am not sure, but I guess "POLE IV,BLOK10" refers to Majdanek, where he was located there.
LIST DO PCK Z 23.01.1944 = letter posted to PCK, Polski Czerwony Krzyz, Polish Red Cross
PACZKA PCK 10.02.1944 = parcel from PCK
That parcel is almost the same date as in record 3.

==

The record 2 says:
==
DANE OSOBOWE

nazwisko ŁASZCZAK
imię JAN
data urodzenia 1897-05-04
miejsce urodzenia TARNAWATKA

INFORMACJE O PRZEŚLADOWANIACH

Źródło: Państwowe Muzeum na Majdanku

uwięziony
rodzaj uwięzienia obóz koncentracyjny
miejsce osadzenia MAJDANEK
numer 5526
Informacje dodatkowe ZABRANY 2.07.1943 Z JÓZEFOWA; POLE IV,BLOK10; LIST DO PCK Z 23.01.1944; PACZKA PCK 10.02.1944; [KORESPONDENCJA NR 444/78; 749/85]
===
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Other topics related to Poland and Polish roots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: