PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 19

Post Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:57 pm      Post subject:

Dear All,

I really appreciate such strong support from everyone. You all have been very helpful. I have a lot of work to do.

On an earlier post from Cheri there is someone else looking for my family as well on a Polish web site:http://tinyurl.com/c7fbnyz.(see above post) With some translation sites I was able to log on with password and translate what she wrote. It is the same family as mine she is searching for more information too. I sent her a private email in both Polish/English and I am awaiting a reply. I'm not sure of the relationship she had with my family. I tried to post a reply to her post but since I don't know Polish it was hard to maneuver around the site. I think if I can communicate through email with her I will find out a lot of missing information. I will keep everyone posted if I hear from her soon. It looks like she post 2011 so will see.

Elzbieta Porteneuve I think this is on the right track:
The question arises why such a long distance from Radom (174 km between radom and Gmina Krzeszow).
We may speculate: killed mother, family decision to emigrate children to the US. They have to leave Russian part of Poland, and go to Hamburg (or Bremen). Probably they had a family or friends in the countryside in Krzeszow, in Austrian part of Poland, they moved children there, and it started this way.
Cheri Vanden Berg
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:21 pm      Post subject:

I found a Stanislaw Wojciga [indexed at Ellis Island as Wojcrga] arriving in NY on 17 Sep 1907. He was going to his brother Tomas in Chicago. I think it says 784 18th St. His mother's name was Anna (as was Thomas' mother in the marriage record), and she lives in an interesting place. I believe it is Wielogóra. I've added screen shot of that. It looks like Wielogora T. Jedlink (?) Radom...
Wielogóra [vjɛlɔˈɡura] is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Jedlińsk, within Radom County, Masovian Voivodeship, in east-central Poland.[1] It lies approximately 6 kilometres (4 mi) south of Jedlińsk, 8 km (5 mi) north of Radom, and 84 km (52 mi) south of Warsaw.
The village has an approximate population of 1,100.

So MAYBE this is the village you are looking for. My Grandmother had told us that she was from Nowy Targ. When I looked a map years later, that seemed too big to be the village she described. I have since learned that she was born in Załuczne (thanks to people here at Polish Origins), which is near Nowy Targ. Many immigrants reported the largest nearby town, or the "County". MAYBE this is what your ancestors did.

I looked again to see where Thomas was going in Chicago when he arrived and it looks like brother-in-law Wladislaw Targosz, at maybe 834 18th St. This must be the Ladislaw Targas that was a witness to Thomas' wedding.

I have found the map the Elzbieta added very helpful. I have seen other maps of divided Poland, but this is very distinct. The other comments are helpful as well. The distance between Radom and Krzeszow bothered me too, until you think of what happened, and I'm sure the other family members might have wanted to get out of Russia. Interesting about the Maria that was the contact for Thomas. She lived in Krzeszow. Unless it's a different Thomas, she wouldn't have been his wife, since that Thomas married in Chicago, so perhaps she is the Maria on the manifest, and she and Jan and the children just posed as a family. Maybe because of the shooting, they felt safer saying they were all from Krzeszow. It will be interesting to find out what the children's parents' names are.

I also hope you hear from Kasia from that Polish Genealogy site. That is very curious too.

NewYorkPassengerLists18201957_295693189.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  31.74 KB
 Viewed:  8635 Time(s)

NewYorkPassengerLists18201957_295693189.jpg

fiverus

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:05 am      Post subject:

I vaguely remember my Grandfather mentioning a Stanley.. I'm not sure the relationship of Stanley and Thomas to my Grandfather. cousins? If Anna was their mother who was she married to? Thomas Wojciga? I think Thomas father was also Thomas but not sure. My Grandfathers sister Anna Wojciga was 13 was she arrived here. In above post it's mentioned Agata Wojciga was their mother and had a friend or family here in Chicago last name Kadel. Also, I know Kadel's took care of them when they came to USA. There seems to be a connection from someone in Chicago (Kadel) to other Kadels in Krzenow and they were caretakers of Louis, Anna and John they may have traveled with them to USA from Hamburg. Maybe I can look up records in Poland from the town you mention above (Wielogóra [vjɛlɔˈɡura] is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Jedlińsk, within Radom County, Masovian Voivodeship).
Cheri Vanden Berg

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:52 am      Post subject:

At this site there is a list of parishes in the Diocese of Radom
http://www.diecezja.radom.pl/parafia

There is a church in Wielogóra, St. Francis of Assisi, but it wasn't built until 1999
św. Franciszka z Asyżu
Wielogóra, ul. Kościelna 8
26-660 Wielogóra p. Jedlińsk

Rys historyczny: Parafia została utworzona 27 maja 1999 r. przez bp. Edwarda Materskie­go z terenu parafii we Wsoli i parafii pw. św. Maksymiliana Kolbego w Radomiu. Krzyż na placu kościelnym poświęcił 11 kwietnia 1999 r. bp E. Materski. Wiosną tegoż roku wybudowano też tymczasową kaplicę.
Google translation of the above:
Historical Overview: The parish was established May 27, 1999, by Bishop. Edward Materskiego of land in the parish and parish Wsola. St. Maximilian Kolbe in Radom. Cross the square church dedicated April 11, 1999, Bishop E. Materski. In the spring of that year, built a temporary chapel.

Because of what it said above, though not translated well, I think maybe the Catholic people in Wielogóra went to church in Wsola. Wsola is 2.4 km (1 1/2 miles from Wielogóra). St. Bartholomew Church
św. Bartłomieja
Wsola, ul. Leśna 2
26-660 Wsola p. Jedlińsk

Family Search didn't have anything in their catalog for Wielogóra, those records wouldn't be old enough. A quick check of their catalog, and I only saw records from Wsola that I think end in 1859. Maybe you have seen the thread at Polish Origins about the Polish State Archives putting records online:
http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=1795
At this link (or use one given at the above thread)
http://nac.gov.pl/files/D'ASC1_02_2013v.3.pdf
I have found that they are adding (or have added) these records online:
Archiwum Państwowe w Radomiu 174 Urząd Stanu Cywilnego Parafii Rzymskokatolickiej Wsola
Google translation: National Archives in Radom 174 Registry Office Wsola Roman Catholic Parish

I am not familiar with that site. When I am at a Polish site, I generally go back and forth between Google translate and the site.

In answer to your question, yes, the Anna that was Thomas' mother in the marriage record, husband's name was Thomas. Thomas Jr. who married in 1909, died in 1910.

Agata Wojciga was the contact for Jan Wojciga, the older Jan, when the Wojcigas immigrated in 1911. It said that she was his mother, and then there were probably ditto marks for the rest of the group, not meaning that she was their mother, but that she was their contact in Poland.

If you are going to check for marriage records in Chicago, and I think it's a good idea, you might want to ask for all of them at once. Hopefully you know Louis' date. I haven't found it. I thought I had John's. Like PL said Anna married Martin Novak 7 Jul 1923 according to the Cook County marriage index. Sometimes the date isn't exact, I mean the date could be when they applied for the license.
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:06 am      Post subject:

Karen~ Do you know when Louis married? If we have a date, then if FamilySearch has marriage records for St. Adalbert's filmed (just because the index only goes thru 1915 doesn't mean there isn't film for later dates - I haven't checked the FS website yet), you can possibly scroll through the film records online. But without a date that's really a needle in a haystack problem, assuming of course there's film there for the appropriate date.

Also have you found Louis in any Census records? Ahh...I found him in 1940 - his name is spelled Lewis Wujciga there and oldest child is 12, so born in 1927 or 28 (therefore probably married before that date). Have you found him in any earlier Census records? I only did a quick search. ~PL
fiverus

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:02 pm      Post subject:

PL my Grandfather spelled his name with a U for some reason he changed it. He married Julia Reizman? not sure spelling. I need to search and try to find what year he was married. He had four kids, Lorraine, Louis Jr, Joseph, Edward and John. So if older child is 12 then he must have married 1928, 27, or 26. I've tried looking at Census records but I'm not to familiar with how to narrow searches. I know he lived on Scoville Ave in Berwyn but when I search I saw 300 pages to review.. He and my Grandmother also owned a Tavern I think in the City of Chicago.. do not know the name.Their parish in Berwyn was St. Mary of Celle.

Cheri, This is very good information. I feel so thankful and blessed for all your support. I will look into parish records and getting excited about all this information I have learned thus far.
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:12 pm      Post subject:

Karen - fiverus,

While at first I agreed with you about this Krzeszow,
Krzeszow/Powiat-Bilgorajski/province-Lubelske
I did change my mind today.

I started to correlate distribution of Wójciga and Kadela (no single Kadel in Poland, but many Kadela; both names, Kadel and Kadela, show in Chicago).
http://www.moikrewni.pl/mapa/kompletny/w%25C3%25B3jciga.html
http://www.moikrewni.pl/mapa/kompletny/kadela.html

Wójciga and Kadela are in Radom, but the majority are in Sucha Beskidzka region, and nearby, in Malopolska region.

When I seek with Google for all 5 names: "Krzeszów, Wójciga, Kadela, Fluder, Targosz", the answer is 6 URLs, all related to Krzeszow near Zywiec, 13 km from Sucha Beskiszka

http://www.krzeszow.cba.pl/polozenie.htm

http://powiatsuski.pl/pag/dokumenty/ochr/solary/lpodstawowa/gmina_stryszawa.pdf

http://www.krzeszow.cba.pl/dodatki/download/kroniki/kronika_osp.pdf
- Voluntary Firemen, history over time; I noted two Wójciga, Sołtys Franciszek Wójciga, and Sekretarz Jan Wojciga, and two Kadela: Stanisław Kadela and Stefan Kadela.
Sołtys is a chief of the village, important position.

Two schools, todays children with all 4 names
Gimnazjum nr 3 im. K. Pułaskiego w Krzeszowie - nk.pl
Szkoła Podstawowa im. F. Nowickiego w Krzeszowie - nk.pl

And another archive from a place nearby
sp-mucharz.republika.pl/archiwum.htm - Mucharz is few kilometers from Krzeszow

While Krzeszow near Zywiec is 256 km from Radom, as compared to 174 km for Bilgojarskie, it is not significant. Family names are.

The Krzeszow near Zywiec was also in Austrian Poland in 1900.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krzesz%C3%B3w,_Lesser_Poland_Voivodeship
The village has a population of 1,618.

Kind regards,
Elzbieta
Cheri Vanden Berg

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:49 pm      Post subject:

Very interesting Elzbieta! Yesterday I wondered why the last residence of Thomas Wojciga that came in 1907 was Lachowice, and he had Maria Wojciga in Krzeszow as his contact in Poland. I now see that the Krzeszow near Zywiec is 9.6 km (about 6 miles) from Lachowice.

Karen, the church book of St. Mary of Celle that is online at Family Search has the dates 1909-1916, so that isn't going to help you. St. Adalbert's, which I agree with Dave might be the church of the family around the time they arrived (I don't know where they were there after that), and was the church that Thomas married at in 1909, only has the book through 1915 online. I think the title of the records at Family Search is Catholic Church records through 1925, with some going past that, but they have the years for every church available when you click on the church name, and I did go to the back of St. Adalbert's book.
Cheri Vanden Berg

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:20 pm      Post subject:

fiverus wrote:
PL my Grandfather spelled his name with a U for some reason he changed it. He married Julia Reizman? not sure of spelling

Julia was mentioned in her brother's obituary at Find-A-Grave, maybe we'll have an easier time searching for her surname (Then again, maybe not. I'm editing this after looking. I wonder if there is a gap in marriage records at Family Search and/or Ancestry. Since there is an index in the Church books, maybe you don't need dates. Maybe you can just call whatever church you think, and ask them to please look in the index for Wujciga/Wojciga, you can narrow it down a bit by years)
Chicago Tribune October 7, 1972:
Rzemien
Joseph R. Rzemien, Veteran WW II and Korean Conflict, beloved son of the late Frank and Bernice; dear brother of Julia [Louis] Wujciga, Stanley, Mary [the late Steve] Sadlon, Annie Tugman, Angeline [Walter] Kubalanza and the late Bernice Lapka; also survived by many nieces and nephews. Funeral Monday, 9:15 a.m. from Ridge Funeral Home, 6620-28 W. Archer Av., corner or Natoma, to St. Mary of Celle church, Berwyn. Interment St. Adalbert's Cemetery. Visitation after 6 p.m. Saturday.
fiverus

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:41 pm      Post subject:

Elzbieta-your right, it is Kadela. I remember my Grandparents talking about Kadela's and they are the family that took care of them when they arrived here in Chicago. I'm getting a little confused. Are you saying Krzeszow near Zywiec is 256 km from Radom, this is correct? not Krzeszow/Powiat-Bilgorajski/province-Lubelske ?

Cheri-I will narrow it down by years and generate some searching-

Thank you for your expertise!
fiverus

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:35 pm      Post subject:

Cheri had posted earlier about someone else looking for my family: In the meantime I have sent private message to Kasia awaiting a reply. I was able to use google translate. Now, I'm trying to POST something on the website-even with translation I cannot figure it out. Can anyone help? If possible?

I found someone looking for your family at a Polish genealogy site!! - http://tinyurl.com/c7fbnyz
This is what it says, do you have someone to translate it for you? Otherwise maybe someone here will be kind enough to do so, and then maybe translate a reply from you as well:
Witam,
Pani Krystyno zwracam się z prośbą o pomoc w poszukiwaniach i sprawdzenie następujących osób
Jan Wojciga (ur 30.03.1905), Maria Wojciga, Anna Wojciga, Ludwig (Louis) Wojciga (ur 07.01.1905 lub 25.12.1901)
Benedikt Wojciga.
Osoby te podróżowały razem i przybyły do USA w 1912. Była to trójka dzieci i ich opiekunowie. Nie jestem pewna która z kobiet była siostrą Jana i Ludwika. Chciała bym się dowiedzieć czy są tam dane dotychące miejsca zamieszkania (lub urodzenia) w Polsce.
Chyba posuwam się w przeciwnym kierunku niż większość osób poszukujących:)
Udało mi się odtworzyć losy jana i ludwika ale o powostałych osobach niestety nic nie znalazłam. Chciała bym się dowiedzieć czegoś zwłaszcza o siostrze Jana i Ludwika.
Będę wdzięczna za wszelkie informacje,
Pozdrawiam
Kasia
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:35 pm      Post subject:

fiverus wrote:
...I found someone looking for your family at a Polish genealogy site!! - http://tinyurl.com/c7fbnyz .This is what it says, do you have someone to translate it for you? Otherwise maybe someone here will be kind enough to do so, and then maybe translate a reply from you as well:
Witam,
Pani Krystyno zwracam się z prośbą o pomoc w poszukiwaniach i sprawdzenie następujących osób

Hi,
Ms. Krystyna would like to ask for help in the search and examination of the following persons John Wojciga (born 30.03.1905), Maria Wojciga, Anna Wojciga, Ludwig (Louis) Wojciga (born 07/01/1905 and 12/25/1901) Benedikt Wojciga.

These persons traveling together and came to the U.S. in 1912. It was the three children and their caregivers. I'm not sure which of the women was the sister of John and Louise. I'd love to know if there are any data dotychące place of residence (or birth) in Poland.
I think I move in the opposite direction than most people looking for Smile I was able to play lots of John and Louis Powostałych people but unfortunately I did not find anything. She wanted me to know something particular about the sister of John and Louise.
I will be grateful for any information,
Regards
Barry
Send e-mail
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:42 pm      Post subject:

PLEASE NOTE: I have been browsing the website of Krzeszow, then looked up on parishes, and got contaminated my laptop by a malware at Lachowice (I guess). Now using alternate computer.

The malware is bad, you get a kind of warning simulating police departement and accusing you with a number of things, but also on the right side of the screen they ask you to pay using strange services. Wanted you to know.

Elzbieta
fiverus

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:48 am      Post subject:

OH NO Elzbieta P. I was on a polish website too and when I clicked on something 25 windows came up..so I just X out right away.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2780

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:26 pm      Post subject: Wojciga & Kadela

Karen,

The 1910 Federal Census for Chicago lists three individuals with the surname Kadela. Two (Joseph & John) are single and are borders. The third, Andrzej, is married and resides with his wife Tekla at 1802 W. 18th St. and seems to be the most likely candidate for the Kedala who helped your ancestors. Attached in a separate post is his marriage record from 1906 at St. Casimir's. The record contains quite a bit of information including addresses. The "Sponsus" entries are for the groom and the "Sponsa" entries are for the bride. Andrzej's place of birth (Locus nativitatis) is listed as Kr. Pol. which means the Kingdom of Poland which was the official title of what is commonly called "Russian Poland." The column "Quotum matrimonium" lists how many marriages (including the present marriage)were contracted by each individual.

You'll notice a major difference in Andrzej's address at the time of marriage and in the 1910 Census. In reality both addresses are on the same block of 18th Street. In 1909 the house address numbers were changed in the entire city and many street names were also changed. The reason for this is found in the rapid expansion of the city in the late 19th Century through the annexation of surrounding villages and townships. In the post-1909 system the 1906 address of 836 W. 18th St. becomes 1852 W. 18th St.

An excellent online resource for determining the post-1909 equivalents for pre-1909 numbers is found on the site www.alookatcook.org This site also has very helpful maps and descriptions of all the enumeration districts for each Census which is very helpful when looking for individuals whose name cannot be found through a name search.

Wishing you success in your searches,
Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Page 2 of 4

Jump to: