PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 226

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:00 am      Post subject: Magda's Bigos Recipe

Hi Magda,
You would not believe how often I think about the wonderful meal you prepared for us , during my visit to Poland. Many times , when I am desiding what to make for dinner, ( Suzane and I take turns preparing dinner Smile ) I can see the big bowl of Bigos sitting on your dining room table. Hmmmmmm was that good !!!!
Would you be so kind as to share your recipe for Bigos.

I , along with many friends, enjoyed the Zur I prepared from your recipe. I don't know if mine tasted like yours, but it was delicious.

The challenge for me would be to see if my Bigos tastes anywhere as good as yours is.

Dzienkuje bardzo,

James
Magdalena
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 69

Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:04 am      Post subject:

Hi James Smile ,

I always have problem when somebody wants a recipe from me. Zenon knows it well. When I cook I just put some of this and some of that into a pot Very Happy .

But I will do my best to tell you how I make my bigos.

The amounts I write about are not very precise, so you have to follow a little bit of your culinary nose.

So you need:

about 1,5 kg sauerkraut
about 1,5 kg of meat (you can use spatula, knuckle of pork – or same like this, smoked bacon, good sausage – or better mix of these)

1 onion
2-3 bay leaves
3-4 pimentos
salt, pepper,
cooking oil
same cabbage may be useful.

1.You need to taste sauerkraut to check if it is not too sour, if it is, you have to rinse it.

2.Put it into a pot, add some water and a little bit of oil, bay leaves, pimentos and boil - but remember – little fire.

3.Boiling takes a lot of time. After about 1,5-2 hours cabbage should be soft. In this time you should stir it a few times and, if needed, add water (about 1.5 – 2 cm / less than 1 inch Smile at the bottom of the pot) and/or oil.

4.Prepare meat. Cut it into pieces and fry. Add salt and pepper and put it into a pot with cabbage.

5.Cut onion, fry and add into a pot

6.Try bigos. If it is too sour add some stewed cabbage.

7.Boil it for about 1.5 h

8.It should change color and become a little brown (or similar to this). Add salt and pepper.

9.It is known that bigos is better if it is cooked for very long so after 3 – 4 hours of boiling I take it off the fire and boil again the next day for about 1-1.5 hours. And always stir and add some water and oil, if needed.

10.It may seem to be a lot of work, but it isn't really so much. You just only must remember about little fire, stirring and adding some water and oil.
James
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 226

Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:22 pm      Post subject: Magda's Bigos

Magda,
Thank you so very much, for taking the time out of your busy schedule, to share with me, your recipe for " your Bigos ". Very Happy
I'm going out to the market, to pick-up ingredients, right after this reply.
I will give you my report after I've prepared the dish, and let you know how I did. Wink

James
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Polish cuisine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: