PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 30

Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:29 am      Post subject:

Cheri,
Thank you for both replies. The transfer of records to various places often confuses me. I just want to find my family's roots, where & how they lived, and nothing more. That should account for something. I will try writing to the Civil Records Office since I am a "blood relative." I really appreciate all details you have provided.
Roseanne
Cheri Vanden Berg
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:35 pm      Post subject:

Roseanne,
It turns out that Shellie gave me the information of what the Krakow Archdiocese Archives has for Czarny Dunajec:
Czarny Dunajec
birth
1786-1832
1837-1849
1851-1877
1879-1889
weddings
1786-1832
1837-1849
1851-1877
1879-1889
Deaths
1786-1832
1837-1849
1851-1877
1879-1889
I was told that you can't write to the Archives for information. You could go there, or hire someone to go there for you. It might be cheaper than going through the Civil Registry, but since I have never had anything sent to the Polish Consulate in Chicago, I really don't know. Maybe you could write to "myonick" and ask about her experience.
Cheri
Cheri Vanden Berg

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:06 pm      Post subject:

On a mailing list, the same subject of what was available for Gronków came up, and a researcher commented that the records in the Krakow archives ended in 1889 for that village, so I asked: Could you please tell me, does this mean that the church archives in Krakow does not have ANY church records after 1889? This was the reply I received:
"No, they have more recent records as every parish has to submit a copy of their records every year. So, first of all, they have current records (and records that are relatively new) as well. I do not know what they have for a little more recent records (after ~1890), I would suspect they should have them (except books for the city of Krakow, they say they do not have anything for any parish in the city) but they do not allow access to them in the reading room currently (although once one of the nuns showed me one of those books by mistake). They do not provide a catalogue of them in the reading room as well. What you can see in their reading room ends, in most cases, around 1890 (sometimes earlier). "
meghanrowan

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:06 pm      Post subject: Cleveland Birth Records and Buda

Elaine wrote:
Shellie wrote:
Elaine,
I am so glad that I was able to help you. Please be sure to post some updates as you progress with your research. You never know who will find the info useful in the future. I hope that the phone call will reveal a ton of information!
Warmest Regards,
Shellie

Hi Shellie!

Was finally able to get together with my brother once again. He keeps giving me assignments on what to look for! LOL

In my search on Ellis Island, I was just browsing and noticed a Wictorya Mazur came to America with 3 of her Children.on May 5, 1908 on the ship Kronprinzessin niCecilie (Manifest Line Number 0024) It states on the manifest that she was going to visit her husband Bronislaw Mazur in Uniontown, PA. Her children's names were Ludrina (possibly be my grandmother Louise/Ludwinka) Mazur, age 10 (to the best of my knowledge my Busia was born in 1893, which would've made her 15) and it listed her Ethnicity as Austria, Polish. Then a Jendrzej Mazur, US Born, age 8y, Male (possibly be my great-uncle Andy with his name mispelled?) And the 3rd child was Antonina Mazur, US Born, age 7y.
The part that truly has me confused is to the best of all of our family's knowledge, Louise was born in Cleveland, OH. We were told that the church burnt down with all the records. She is not listed in the Cleveland Library at all. Could this manifest/passenger record be my grandmother's? If so, where was she born?
My brother seems to think that Bronislaw was fromCzarny Dunajec, Poland. and that Wiktorya Bak/Bonk was from a village nearby.
On Wiktorya Mazur's manifest, it states she was in USA I believe 1892, but the only Victoria Mazur I found arrived on Dec 26, 1892 with a child named Jasza, Femaile, 2 years old. If she truly was my grandmother's mother, then she was over 6 months pregnant when she arrived to USA and was headed for Cleveland, OH. I do not know who Jasza would be.
It seems like I'm getting myself more confused and am thankful for my brother's 3 trips to Poland. He feels we're on the right track here.
Do you have any suggestions where I might look next?

Elaine,
I came across your posts and had some ideas. First, did you know that Fold3 has some Cleveland birth records? I have access and looked for Mazurs - did not see any common names as in your post but could check others.
Also, could you Buda be Budz? My family name is Wilczek - believe they were from the Lesnica area. A Michael Wilczek b 1850ish married a woman by the name of Budz (first name unknown).
Like you, I have family that went back and forth to Poland. In one case, a daughter was left there for 14 years before returning to Chicago to be with her family. It was during WWI but wondered something like that happened...
Meghan
marilm

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:30 pm      Post subject: Czarny Dunajec to Pennsylvania: immigration information

I am doing some research for a member of the Dregacz family of Czarny Dunajec. The name was changed to Drengacz in the United States. Several family members came to Pennylvania between 1890 and 1910, likely to work in the mines in the Mammoth and Gallitzin. I would be interested if anyone has information on the history of these communities with respect to the Czarny Dunajec immigration.
Thanks.
Shellie

Replies: 1000

Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:22 pm      Post subject:

Hi Marilm,
Are you referring to Mammoth in Westmoreland County, PA? Perhaps this mine? http://patheoldminer.rootsweb.ancestry.com/mammoth1.html
marilm

Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:53 pm      Post subject:

Yes I am, thank you for the link. They may have some info on the immigrants that came to work there. I haven't found much about the history of polish immigrants in the area yet.
Marilyn
Shellie

Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:20 pm      Post subject:

Marilyn,
I would cast a larger net and start first with histories of Polish immigration to Pittsburgh and Western Pennsylvania. That may help you find more specific references to Westmoreland and Cambria counties. Have you read this article?

http://www.pgsa.org/US/pittsburgh_poles.php

Also, check our popular PA coal miners thread at: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=912&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
marilm

Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:12 pm      Post subject:

Thanks again, will also read this information.
Marilyn
stankieta

Replies: 45

Post Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:06 am      Post subject: Book on Czarny Dunajec

Shellie wrote:
Book:

Czarny Dunajec i Okolice — Zarys dziejów do roku 1945, Pod redakcją Feliksa Kiryka, Wydawnictwo i Drukarnia Secesja, Kraków. [Czarny Dunajec and Vicinity — A Sketch of Its Annals up to 1945. Edited by Feliks Kiryk. Secesja Publisher and Printer, Kraków].

This book, written in Polish, chronicles the history of Czarny Dunajec thorough World War II and contains names, dates and photos from private collections, state and local archives and other sources. If you have an interest in this book, please respond to this thread. We are trying to raise enough interest to perhaps arrange a translation of the book.

Dr. Paul Valasek, founder of PolishRoots (www.PolishRoots.com) mentions this book in the March 2006 issue of Gen Dobry:
http://www.polishroots.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=bhQaojT4%2FdI%3D&tabid=60&mid=377

In the Gen Dobry! article, Dr. Valasek wrote:
Anyone who has relatives in Czarny Dunajec and has lines including the family names
Stopka, Szaflarski, Kowalkowski, and Nalezny in their trees, please send me an e-mail ([email protected]). I have material for you as well. My thanks go out to Bart Dzielski, who allowed me use of the book, which also details his family.

While searching through the forum I saw this refernce to the book on Czarny Dunajec. Were you successful in getting this translated to English? I would be very ineterested in buying an english version if it is available.
Send e-mail
MichelleLeach53

Replies: 21

Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:31 pm      Post subject:

Shellie,
I also am looking for my great grandmother's family. The Ellis Island records list her last place of Residence as Miedzyczerwienne. Her name was Antonia Strama, and was born 10/15/1886. I also noticed there were a lot of Stramas the were from Maruszyna as well. I'm not sure what village she was born in in the area but she did live in Miedzyczerwienne before she left. I'm not sure if that village exists anymore and have been able to locate it on a couple of maps. I think Czerwienne is now the village. Any info you could pass along I would be SO grateful for! She (my GG) is my brick wall. The documents I have found over here on her are full of false information, like she was trying to hide who she was. She used her sister Tekla's name on a couple of official documents and lied about my Great grandfather's last name when she remarried (he was killed in a mining accident). Her likely siblings are: Tekla (b. 1877) Anna Barbara (b. 1881) and Jan (b. 1882).

Best Regards,
Michelle Leach
Shellie

Post Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:48 pm      Post subject:

Hi Michelle, I was going to suggest that you begin a new thread just for your family or village and I see that you already did at: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=2446
I posted a reply there.
Magroski49

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:02 pm      Post subject:

From the book
Zbrodnie hitlerowskie na wsi poslkiej 1939-1945

Gilberto

digitalizar0002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  246.81 KB
 Viewed:  12424 Time(s)

digitalizar0002.jpg

Send e-mail
VMounce

Replies: 11

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:15 pm      Post subject: infomation about Fr Pastor John Komperda

Hi!

How do I find more information on Pastor John Komperda who rebuilt the church? The translation said he was a local native of Wroblowki, is this near Czarny Dunajec?

My grandfather John Komperda was born in Czarny Dunajec on 03/09/1890

My great grandfather was Adalbert (Wojciech) Komperda born Czarny Dunajec 03/30/1850. He died in Czarny Dunajec 10/27/1907. He was married to Katarzyna Kieta. His wife and children then moved to Chicago, Il.

My great-great grandfather was John Komperda, he was married to Rosalia Kapusciarz. (not sure if spelling on last name is correct)

His father was Jona (John) Komperda and he was married to Katarzyny Szczypta.

I did write to the priest and he did send me some documents regarding my grandfather and my great grandfather Adalbert.

Thank you! Vicky Komperda Mounce
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2783

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:44 pm      Post subject: ks. Jan Komperda

Vicky,

The name of the village from which the pastor Jan Komperda hailed is Wroblowka. The "i" ending is the case ending required in Polish following the preposition "z". The village is in the gmina of Czarny Dunajec and so he was pastor of the parish where he most likely had been baptized. Since he was pastor of the parish in 1864, he must have been born no later than 1840. Any later date of birth would mean that he had not attained the canonical age for ordination to the priesthood. Of course there is no indication of how old he was in 1864 so it is possible that he may have been born a good number of years before 1840. Probably the best sources of information about him would be found either in the historical records of the parish or of the diocese to which the parish belongs.

Hope this helps you a bit.

Dave

c.d.1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  67.28 KB

c.d.1.JPG

c.d..JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  152.96 KB

c.d..JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Page 3 of 4

Jump to: