PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 28

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:41 pm      Post subject: Lutheran Records before 1808?

I have traced most of my ancestral lines back to the Płock/Gąmbin area to about the 1820s. The oldest records the archive has is 1808. Does anyone know where I can continue searching?
Tina Ellis

Replies: 74

Post Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:33 pm      Post subject:

Have you tried to learn anything about the history of the religion and/or the parish boundary lines for that area? Is it possible, the family went to church elsewhere? Maybe someone was Catholic, another protestant religion or Jewish and married a Lutheran, causing a religion changed in the that branch of the family. It's also possible the Lutheran church was elsewhere before the one in Gambin was established. Check the area around there to see if there was another church or another religion. It's also possible that you people moved into this are right before 1820. There had been a war going during the previous decade. That's the same time period when Napoleon entered occupied Poland, and battled with the Russians. Just some food for thought! You are the detective, and need to follow all avenues of leads until you exhaust them. Then you will need to find more suggestions if you have no luck. I stayed up the other night until 6:00 a.m the next morning searching for a ship manifest. In the wee hours I gave the spelling a new twist and found it. Karaszewski was spelled Koraschewsky. Anything is possible. Keep trying and you will find your answer(s). Research is merely a process of elimination. You eliminate all the wrong things until you find the right one.

Happy Hunting,
Tina Ellis
Send e-mail
Moni

Replies: 28

Post Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:18 pm      Post subject:

Thanks, Tina, for your response.

Yes, I have researched the history of the area for quite some time now. I also have reason to believe there is at least one more generation that I can trace to the same area where I have been researching. Because I'm dead-ending on all branches of the family, I don't think there was a change in religions (at least not in all cases). I think there was a change in the process of recording of events.

So, let me try to rephrase my initial question more generally. If the Płock archive does not have records prior to 1808, then how were events recorded? Where are records from these years kept? Why did it change?

I'm told that in Poland in the 1930s, my grandfather was able to trace his lineage back to the 1500s. Unfortunately, his records did not survive the war. I'm choosing to believe there is still a possibility to trace ancestors beyond my brick walls. There is, of course, the possibility that they were destroyed during the war or through other events.
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:47 pm      Post subject: Re: Lutheran Records before 1808?

Moni wrote:
I have traced most of my ancestral lines back to the Płock/Gąmbin area to about the 1820s. The oldest records the archive has is 1808. Does anyone know where I can continue searching?

i will make phone call to Plock State Archives and ask about it.
As far as i know Gąbin lutheran parish was founded in 1827-1829 years and previously it was in Iłów.

PAYPAL: [email protected]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: