PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:07 pm      Post subject: Surname: Misznik where did comes from and what did it mean?

Hello guys,

i just want to ask if somebody can tell me where the Surname "Misznik" comes from and what it means?
Thats the only thing i found and i cant read it and i dont know that can help:
https://pl.wiktionary.org/wiki/mi%C5%9Bkarz

Greetings
[email protected]

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:42 am      Post subject:

Its very difficult to find something out about this last name i looked at every site which comes out when you google Misznik there are lots of Forum posts from Polish people which lastname is Misznik but none site explain where the name comes from and what it means.
thank you.
Agnieszka Pawlus
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 748

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:08 am      Post subject:

Hello,
I've checked the Hoffman's "Polish surnames", but unfortunately I haven't found the clear explanation of this surname.
Maybe is has roots from miś, “bear; fat person”, or from given names starting with "Mi-" such as Michał, Mikołaj,
Miłosław.

There is also mentioned a surname Miszkin, from Lithuanian miškinis, “from the forest” or Polish
miszkinie, “kind of mushroom” —both Miszkinie and Miszkinis are Polish names of several
places in Lithuania.

I searched the contemporary distribution map, but there are no results for Misznik.

In Geneteka (database of indexed vital records) there are several Misznik people (in different locations): https://geneszukacz.genealodzy.pl/index.php?search_lastname=Misznik&from_date=&to_date=&rpp1=&bdm=&url1=&w=&lang=pol&op=se

Maybe the original spelling of your ancestor's surname was different? For example Michnik?
Visit poster's website
[email protected]

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:38 am      Post subject:

Thank you for the good answer

Greetings
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: