PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:35 pm      Post subject: Great Grandmothers surname, too many spellings

My great grandmother has numerous spellings of her surname Osowska, Ososka, Von Offsofski, Von Osavka, Osofski, Oroconka, Osovska, Osovski, Koszewska. Most of these are from Ancestry birth records from the births their children. I got a copy of their marriage registration and its hand written and very difficult to read. It almost looks like Lsowska and shows her fathers name as Felix. My question is, is there any way to figure out what her surname actually is?

My great grandfathers surname is Christman. Alexander and Balbina.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Patricia Koenig

Marriage AlexKristman MilwaukeeVol18p222.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Marriage AlexKristman MilwaukeeVol18p222.pdf
 Filesize:  1.85 MB
 Downloaded:  323 Time(s)

mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:00 am      Post subject:

In the marriage record, I read

Balbina Osowska
Father: Felix
Mother: Anna Lewika

Osowska and Osowski are the same surname with different gender endings - a for feminine, i for masculine
Osovska is how the name Osowska sounds when spoken w sounds like v in Polish
The rest are misspellings of Osowska or Osowski.... the scribes just spelled it the way they thought they heard it.
The Von designation is used in Germany and Prussian partition of Poland.
Oroconka and Koszewska I don’t know... I would have to see the documents.

The Geneteka database shows many Osowski / Osowska in the former Prussian areas of Poland. I would tend to go with that surname. The 1910 census shows her birth as May, 1863 in Germany (which could be Prussian Poland). She immigrated in 1880. In the 1920 census shows Poland as her native country.

The marriage record was hard to read because the scribe overlapped the a at the end of her first name with the flattened capital O at the beginning of her last name.

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 305

Post Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:08 am      Post subject:

I would agree with Cynthia. I've run into this so many times, especially in records prior to 1800. Even the Oroconka, where the -onka is just a less common female surname ending. You might also find it spelled with -owna at some point.
kingpat

Post Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:53 am      Post subject: Re: Great Grandmothers surname, too many spellings

kingpat wrote:
My great grandmother has numerous spellings of her surname Osowska, Ososka, Von Offsofski, Von Osavka, Osofski, Oroconka, Osovska, Osovski, Koszewska. Most of these are from Ancestry birth records from the births their children. I got a copy of their marriage registration and its hand written and very difficult to read. It almost looks like Lsowska and shows her fathers name as Felix. My question is, is there any way to figure out what her surname actually is?

My great grandfathers surname is Christman. Alexander and Balbina.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Patricia Koenig
kingpat

Post Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:54 am      Post subject: Quick reply, thank you!

Thank you so much for your quick reply.
kingpat

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:38 pm      Post subject:

starshadow wrote:
I would agree with Cynthia. I've run into this so many times, especially in records prior to 1800. Even the Oroconka, where the -onka is just a less common female surname ending. You might also find it spelled with -owna at some point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: