PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 10

Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:42 am      Post subject: Lookin for szrejbert

Looking for family that came from krasnopol with the surname Szrejbert or other possible spellings. My grandfather came to the us about 1905. His name was Leo szrejbert and May have had a brother Joseph.
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:16 pm      Post subject:

Hi Wes,

Not sure if you have this information yet or not.

In Ancestry.com searches, I found the Hamburg passenger list and the Philadelphia passenger list for Leon Szrejbert, age 16, from Krasnopol, Poland traveling to his brother, Jozef, living in Shenandoah, PA. That would make his birth year about 1889. See attached.

I then found the parish records online for Krasnopol and looked in the 1889 book. I think I found his birth record which is attached. It is written in Russian, so you can post it in the Russian translation forum and request translation. Looks like his parents are: Boleslaw Szrejbert and Emili Manowski.

The link to look for further records for his siblings in Krasnopol is:
https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/63/155/0#tabJednostki

Best,
Cynthia

1905-47 Leon Szrejber Hamburg passenger list.jpg
 Description:
1905 Hamburg passenger list Leon Szrejber line 47
 Filesize:  591.57 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

1905-47 Leon Szrejber Hamburg passenger list.jpg

1905-24 Leon Szrejber passenger list.jpg
 Description:
1905 Philadelphia passenger list Leon Szrejber line 24
 Filesize:  692.89 KB

1905-24 Leon Szrejber passenger list.jpg

1889-15 Leon Szrejber birth.jpg
 Description:
1889 birth record number 15 Leon Szrejber
 Filesize:  1.43 MB

1889-15 Leon Szrejber birth.jpg

Send e-mail
Wes

Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:52 am      Post subject: leo szrejbert

thanks for the reply and all the info you sent. i know very little of my family so i joined ancestry.com and found some things and also through 23 and me dna results. i'm not sure if the dates of 1889 are correct, on leo draft registration it shows a birthday of june 15th 1890. I am seeing several variations of the spelling of the last name one of which is Szrajbert which I found a name for in Krasnopol for the mayor who has a facebook page but I do not. my grandfathers spelling was changed from szrejbert to Snybert when he came to the U.S. that is the name which he was married under in 1913 in new jersey. the family story was that at some point he left the family in N.J. and went back to Poland but I don't no when, possibly in the 50's. I'm confused about the shipping manifests that seem to show one ship leaving from Hamburg and one from Liverpool. i am going to try to get that document you sent translated somehow to see if I can clear up some details. Thanks again for your efforts. write back if you find out more.
Wes

Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:02 am      Post subject: leo szrejbert

sorry about my confusion on the ship manifests I know realize they are both from Liverpool , one leaving and one arriving
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:00 am      Post subject:

Hi Wes,

One way to find out for sure is to get his marriage application from the State of NJ.
Ancestry.com shows Leon Szrejbert marrying Marianna Krzesicka in NJ in 1913. It is just an index, but it has the file number (35724) so you can request the full application from Trenton, NJ archives. I am attaching the index record. Marriage applications almost always have the names of the groom and bride's parents. If parents in Leon's marriage application match those in the birth record I gave you, then we found your Leon.

ALso, here is a description from Ancestry.com of the index and how to request the full record:

"About New Jersey, Marriage Index, 1901-2016
About This Collection

This collection consists of images of an index to persons who married in New Jersey between 1901 and 2016. The database can be searched, or the images can be browsed by bride or groom, then year range, then surname. The index consists of the following details:

Name of bride or groom
Spouse's name
Marriage year
Marriage location
Note: In addition to these details in the searchable index, a state file number, a code for the marriage location, and the month of marriage can be viewed on the image, when available.

How to Request a Copy of This Record

The actual marriage record will typically contain even more details, so it’s important to obtain a copy of the record itself. The New Jersey State Archives maintains all birth, marriage, and death records filed at the state level starting in May 1848 and ending 100 years ago. Requests for certificates of these records should be submitted by mail, along with a fee, using the New Jersey State Archives' downloadable request form:"

https://www.nj.gov/state/archives/pdf/MarriageRequest.pdf

Also, Polish names often changed with various spellings once the person immigrated to the USA. The reason is that very often the person writing the record would spell it the way it sounded to him/her. It is very common to find records with a variety of spellings for the Polish surname in the USA. That is why you need to look at other evidence. The passenger lists and the marriage index fit everything you said regarding your Leon: from Krasnopol, traveling to brother Jozef; arriving in 1905; married in NJ 1913.

As to military records and different birth dates: Be cautious of there being more than one person with the same or similar name in the same area... you could be dealing with two different people with the name Leon Szrejbert.

Getting the full marriage record from NJ would be a good next step.
Best,
Cynthia

1913 Leon Szrejber NJ marriage index.jpg
 Description:
1913 Leon Szrejber NJ marriage index
 Filesize:  1.1 MB

1913 Leon Szrejber NJ marriage index.jpg

Send e-mail
Wes

Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:52 pm      Post subject: Szrejbert

Thanks for the info on marriage record. I will contact N.J. And send for a copy. Nice work
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:26 pm      Post subject:

You are very welcome! I received so much help from members of this community, that I am happy to "pay it forward" when I can.

Let me know how it turns out.

Also, I checked the WWI and WWII military records in Ancestry.com. It seems to be your Leon, and I would not be too put off by the different birth dates in these military records. It was common for our ancestors to forget their exact birth dates and give their best estimate to the people requesting the information. My grandparents did this and it drove me crazy when I was researching them! When I got their marriage application with parents names, then I was able to find their birth records in Poland that had the exact birth date (which of course was different than any of their US records!).

BTW, Did you know there is a Social Security death index in Ancestry.com for Leon Snybert who died in Dec 1972 in Poland? Apparently, he was collecting social security through the US consulate in Poland until he died in 1972. This could be your Leon... it matches with your family story that he returned to Poland.

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
Wes

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:14 am      Post subject: Szrejbert

Thanks again and yes I have found all of those military and and social security records
Wes

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:58 am      Post subject: leo szrejbert birth record

can anyone attempt to translate the attached birth record. also i would like to know how to donate to this website. thank you

1889_15_leon_szrejber_birth_806.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.43 MB

1889_15_leon_szrejber_birth_806.jpg

mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:53 pm      Post subject:

Hi Wes,

To get this translated, you have to repost the image to the “Russian Records Translation Forum” with a request for translation. Otherwise no one will see it buried in this thread. Also, when you request the translation, ask them to translate record #15 on the page.

You can donate to the general fund of Polish Origins and/or you can donate to The person who will do the translation for you.

Cynthia
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: