PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:57 pm      Post subject: Grandparents from Bojanow

Hello!

I am looking for information on the families of my grandparents. My grandfather was John Michael (Jan) Iskra (1894-1960) and my grandmother was Sophie (Sofia Brygida) Grodz (or Gradzki) (1897-1988). Both of them were born in or near Bojanow, Nisko, and they emigrated separately to the United States in 1913. They settled in Passaic, New Jersey, and were married there in 1917. My grandfather's parents were Blazej Iskra and Anna Gusciora, and my grandmother's parents were Jacob Gradzki and Antonina Ofiara, about whom I know nothing except their names.

Thanks for any information,
Joe Iskra
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4195

Post Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:28 am      Post subject: Re: Grandparents from Bojanow

Joe Iskra wrote:
Hello!

I am looking for information on the families of my grandparents. My grandfather was John Michael (Jan) Iskra (1894-1960) and my grandmother was Sophie (Sofia Brygida) Grodz (or Gradzki) (1897-1988). Both of them were born in or near Bojanow, Nisko, and they emigrated separately to the United States in 1913. They settled in Passaic, New Jersey, and were married there in 1917. My grandfather's parents were Blazej Iskra and Anna Gusciora, and my grandmother's parents were Jacob Gradzki and Antonina Ofiara, about whom I know nothing except their names.

Thanks for any information,
Joe Iskra

Bojanów belonged to romancatholic parish in Stany
Nisko has its own parish.
You can ask Sandomierz State Archives to make research in these two parishes for baptism records of Your Grandparents.
email: [email protected]

PAYPAL: [email protected]
Piotr Zelny
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 69

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:10 am      Post subject:

Hello Joe
The metrical books of baptisms, marriages and deceases for the period of 1890-1904 of Stany roman catholic parish are held in the State Archive in Sandomierz. They are scanned and you can look over them on the website of GenBaza. You must register and log in. Then find record AP Kielce (it's The State Archive of Kielce), there are two such records, choose the second one, then click AP Sandomierz (The State Archive of Sandomierz - it's a filiate of AP Kielce). Now you've got a list of parishes, find and click Stany. In case of troubles, write.
The older books may be held in the parish.
Scans of kadastral maps you can find on the webside of the AP Przemysl http://www.skany.przemysl.ap.gov.pl/search.php
Unit: archiwum geodezyjne, then find your village, might be several or none).
In order to find your polish relatives first of all you must collect information on siblings of your grandfather and grandmother who didn't emigrate but stayed on the place (so get back to metrical books in AP Sandomierz), collect additional information on the family from latter periods (censuses, proscription lists etc.) which you can find here
https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/search?q=Stany (most of them are available only on the place in archives, so you'd have to ask an archive stuff for research and scans),
surf the net searching of people of particular surnames still living in the area. Then you or someone who speaks polish should make appiontmants with the people and local priest. Finally, having done these come to Bojanow and speak with the people showing them your family tree and the other collected datas to find the exact relatives. There are many people and records of Iskra surname in this area.
Good luck
Piotr Zelny
PolishOrigins Team

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:51 pm      Post subject:

Hello
I forgot to say that at first you should chack your grandparents who came to USA in 1913. You can do that through websids such as ancestry or familysearch. Check censuses, naturalization papers etc. search for genealogical trees if anyone els did it before you.
Piotr Zelny
PolishOrigins Team

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:52 pm      Post subject:

Joe
Here is the Alphabetical list of land owners of the village of Bojanów from 1854. On a scan no 21 are two Iskra families. They lived in house no 10 and 10/2, roman numbers indicate sheet of the kadastral map of the village, numbers next to them parcels belonged to the families e.g. XIX 415,416,417,418.
http://www.skany.przemysl.ap.gov.pl/show.php?zesp=126&cd=0&ser=81&syg=8

Here is the kadastral map of Bojanów from 1854. Scan no 18. Parcel no 417, two buildings no 86, 87, these are just oridinal numbers given by Austrian administration. The real number was as in above list of owners, that is 10/2. The next parcel of the number 406, numbers of buildings on the map 83, 84 but as we know owe to the list the real number of hous is 10.
http://www.skany.przemysl.ap.gov.pl/show.php?zesp=126&cd=0&ser=0&syg=102M

Obviously the numbers of the houses were changed since 1854 (as I pressume) so in order to find the place where thay were you must fit the kadastral map with the modern map. The stream and its meanders and road are characteristic elements.
Mayby Iskra s or they descendants still live there.

In metrical books you will find numbers of houses, too. These are the real one. So in the records from the mid XIX c. should be numbers 10 and 10/2 next to surnames Iskra. Iskra stands for a spark by the way.

Good luck Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: