PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:45 pm      Post subject: Can you help? Do you remember?

Hi, I'm totally new to this forum so please bear with me.
My name is Craig Sharp, or rather my real name is Craig Znamirowski.

My father, born John Znamirowski, was adopted at birth, along with his year old sister by a family in St Ippolytts, Hertfordshire, England.

Their father, John Znamirowski, or Cezary Jan Rawicz Znamirowski died tragically, in a housefire on 28th December 1961. My grandmother was still pregnant with my father at the time and found it very difficult to cope. Anyway, when he was born, both children were given up to my adoptive grandparents.

The only real information I have on my real grandfather is a picture of his gravestone, sent to my aunt by his mother. Her name was A. Znamirowski (I do not know what the A stood for). She lived in Watton-Thetford during the early 1980s and wrote to my aunt, her granddaughter whenever she could.

My Grandfather, the one who died in the housefire was born (I think) on 30th March 1930 and as I said dies on (I think) 26th December 1961. I've already mentioned his full polish name.

I'm currently trying to put together a family tree but I'm finding it very difficult to get information, particularly about other relatives, including my father's biological mother who I know to be english (first name Val).

Does anyone have any recollection of the details I have mentioned? Does anyone know anything that may be of help? If so, then please feel free to email me on [email protected].

Thanks very much,

Craig
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1464

Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:52 pm      Post subject:

Welcome to the Forum Craig Znamirowski!

It is wonderful to meet (even only through the Forum) someone by the same surname as mine living outside Poland. In fact, I do not know personally anyone by the surname who is not from my closer or a little more distant family! I did not expect that the words I wrote in my post about Znamirowski surname (click here: http://polishorigins.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=95) about chance of finding any other Znamirowskis in the world would come true so fast Exclamation

The construction of your grandfather's name Cezary Jan Rawicz Znamirowski implies that he was nobleman Znamirowski coat of arms Rawicz. But of course, that is not the proof yet. Referring again to the post about Znamirowski surname ( http://polishorigins.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=95 ) and information from the book Spis Szlachty Polskiej (Register of Polish Nobility) there was one noble family Znamirowski coats of arm Rawicz living in Halych region in 19th century (more information about Halych you can find, as always, on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halych ).

Is your aunt (your father's sister) still alive? As I can see she could be now the only source of information. If you sent scanned picture of the gravestone of your grandfather it could give as a hint. We could put the photographs in the Forum, too.

Now the critical question for the research is if your grandfather Jan was born in Poland or in England. Please provide us with all information (recorded or passed on in the stories by relatives) you may have or remember.

I have no expertise in research in England but I think that there were also censuses taken from time to time. They could provide relevant information for your research.
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Other topics related to Poland and Polish roots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: