PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:47 am      Post subject: Polish phone books (used or new) to sell?

Hi,

Does anybody know if it is possible to buy a new or used polish phone book (white pages)?
I have heard it is available on CD (I don't know how many). Is it only sold to people in Poland?
Or there is a company which sells it to anyone?

Thanks.
Gilberto
Send e-mail
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:48 pm      Post subject:

Gilberto, my experience from a friend living in Nowy Targ (Malopolski) is he can look up a name in a town, but it only lists the persons phone number-there is no addresses in the book. So I quit looking that way. My friend speaks Polish/English so he just called the person(s) for me 3 different times.
(And I had all of USA phone books (50 states) on just 2 CD's)

Last edited by Bill Rushin on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Send e-mail
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:07 pm      Post subject:

Gilberto, I just double checked with my Nowy Targ friend, he said "sometimes it may show the street name" but never the house number.
Send e-mail
Magroski49

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:24 pm      Post subject:

Bill,

I am aware of the privacy laws in Poland, concerning phone books. Untill some time ago, I used to check ksiazka-telefonicza or something like that, but that site has been shut down. The reason I am searching for a book, in paper or CD, is because now and then a member of our brazilian group wants to know if there are still relatives living in the town they came from, or surrounding area.
Send e-mail
Felicia

Replies: 43

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:40 pm      Post subject:

Wow, even if there was just a name and phone number, that would be great! If anyone can provide information on where to get this, it would sure help me out! These days do people in smaller towns in Poland have phones? Back when I was stationed in Germany and lived in a small town, there were only 3 phones in the entire town -- one public booth, one at the post office and one in a gasthaus.
Magroski49

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:25 am      Post subject:

Felicia,
Since I have never been to Poland I cannot assure you if the same thing happens in every village, or if it varies from powiat to powiat, or from province to province. Last week I was given nothing less than eight phone numbers of the same family and they live in a village which counts no more than 480 souls.
Send e-mail
Patia

Replies: 7

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:26 am      Post subject: Re: Polish phone books (used or new) to sell?

Magroski49 wrote:
Hi,

Does anybody know if it is possible to buy a new or used polish phone book (white pages)?
I have heard it is available on CD (I don't know how many). Is it only sold to people in Poland?
Or there is a company which sells it to anyone?

Thanks.
Gilberto

Halo Gilberto
Check with Tad,, years ago I sent him cd's . I can't remember where I purchased them though
Pat
Quote:

Henryk
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 313

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:02 pm      Post subject:

It's back: http://www.ksiazka-telefoniczna.com/
Also try this company: http://www.ditel.pl/?p=/pl/menu/2/index&n=6
(Google Translation):
"Products:
- 58 books for you with a list of companies and institutions (yellow pages) containing the contact details of private subscribers (white pages) - for individual clients
- 16 books for Business yellow pages with a list of companies and institutions aimed at business users
- 16 regional editions of books on CD
- a nationwide book on CD
- 3 thematic issue on CD: Book Building, Tourism and Wellness
- websites: www.pkt.pl and www.ditel.pll (with a free search engine companies and institutions)
- search of products and services ( www.AlejaHandlowa.pl )
- search mapping ( www.pkt.pl )
- mobile.pkt.pl service, which lets you use the search pkt.pl of mobile phone or PDA mobile device. In addition, Internet service www.pkt . com provides users with a variety of tools to facilitate use of the Internet, such as the Toolbar. Additional services include virtual kaleidoscope of Cities, the ability to recharge your mobile phone and call the service for free. pkt.pl is a strategic partner Polish Virtual geo-location service - www.docelu.pl

When combined with Ditel SA pkt.pl Polish Telephone Book is the sole publisher of books, white pages contain a list of individual subscribers and Polish Telecom EUROPAGES partner in Poland and the sole seller of advertising to the site www.europages.pl ."
My experience is that only about half my relatives with phones are listed in the phone book.
Magroski49

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:50 pm      Post subject:

Henryk,
I have tried a search in Ksiazka with Mozilla and Internet Explore, but it doesn't work. I have tried two ways: in one I have typed Nowakowski in Warszawa, in other I typed a distant cousin name, surname, full address, town, powiat and wój. In both cases, no results are shown.
As for Ditel I also used Mozilla and IE to click on CD, but nothing is shown on the page.
One question (I am not a Polish reader): In "58 books for you with a list of companies and institutions (yellow pages) containing the contact details of private subscribers (white pages) - for individual clients", does it mean these books are available only for people who are already clients of the company?
Thanks.
Send e-mail
Henryk
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 313

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:50 pm      Post subject:

I think the problem is lack of names in the phone book. If you try Nowak and Kraków, two results appear. I tried some of my relatives, but no results, although they used to be in. The problem is the privacy law requires subscribers to agree to have their names in, and fewer and fewer agree. Also cellphones are not in.
Somewhere on the site I read that the materials are also available for users. I can not find an email address, but here is the postal address:
Ditel.pl
Jagiellońska 69
03-303 Warszawa
Send both an English version (saying you do not understand Polish) and a Polish translation, try google translation.
Magroski49

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:31 pm      Post subject:

Dziekuje bardzo,
I will sent them a letter.
Send e-mail
MDuplaga
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 103

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:50 pm      Post subject: Polish Phone Books (used or new ) to sell

Gilberto,

Please keep us posted on this subject if or when you receive a reply!! It seems a lot of us are interested in this subject.

Thanks,
MaryAnne
Patia

Replies: 7

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:06 pm      Post subject:

I found the cds from 2004 from www.ditel.com.pl
Purchased them in Poland . So the cds still might be available.
Every province has a cd but there are no addresses only city/towns.

Patia
P.s. Gilberto: I thought I had sent them to Tad but it was the cds
of the Slowik Geograficzny instead.
JOEP

Replies: 24

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:21 pm      Post subject: Polish Phone Directory

We have been using the Polish phone directory found at http://www.ksiazka-telefoniczna.com/ for some years now.

Recently it seems that it is no longer a free site. Not being able to read Polish, we were wondering if anyone could tell us how we can pay for just using the site to lookup surnames in certain villages, and how much it would cost.

Thanks for any help.

Joe in Georgetown, Texas
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: