PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:45 am      Post subject:

Hi George,
Could you take a quick look, again? I think you have provided the text for Sheet 2 twice, but no text for Sheet 1.
Sophia
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:54 am      Post subject:

George,
Scan 3 says: "Na pamiątke dla kochajacego wujka wysyłam moje zdjęcie. Danusia. Zrobione 15 czerwca 1962 roku w Mierzeszynie."
This picture is of Danusia (nickname for Danuta), who is sending it to her beloved uncle as a memento. The photo was taken on the 15th of June, 1962 in Mierzeszyn.
Sophia
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:11 am      Post subject:

George,
On the text for sheet 2, where there are 5 photos, the middle photo (for which the text appears sideways in the scan), it says:
Grams Jadwiga
zam. Gdansk Wrzeszcz
ul. M. Kopernika
ur. 16 X 1948 w Cisowie
Krynice Morska 12 V 62 r.

So this is a photo of Jadwiga Grams. She indicated that she lived in Wrzeszcz, Gdansk, on a street named "ul. M. Kopernika" which is lovely, a street named for Copernicus. She was born on the 16th of October, 1948 in (I believe) Cisowa, which is near Gdynia. Slight hesitance, here, because she says "ur. 16 X 1948 w Cisowie" and that phrase "w Cisowie" means "in Cisow...." where the ending has to be unravelled from the grammatical ending imposed by the preposition "in." My best guess is Cisowa. The additional place that she names is in the nominative, so I can say for sure it is Krynica Morska, dated 12th of May, 1962 and would seem to be the place where the photo was taken.
Sophia
George Grams

Replies: 14

Post Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:28 pm      Post subject:

Sorry, I posted the same text file twice. Here is the proper text file that relates to sheet 1.

Poland sheet 1 text.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Poland sheet 1 text.pdf
 Filesize:  308.58 KB
 Downloaded:  373 Time(s)

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:44 am      Post subject:

To complete the info from Sheet 2:
At the top of the page are 2 photos of Danka (which I think is another diminutive of Danuta) which she sent as mementos. One is dated 3rd of May, 1962 and I read the name of the town as Iwno, but that is quite a distance from Gdansk (about 300 km). The other is dated 24th of January, 1960 and the name of the town is Wymyslin.
At the bottom of the page is a photo of Halina Grams, with her bicycle. Halina and Jadwiga look so alike, don't they? She indicated that the photo was taken near her home. No date given. The bottom right photo says "Danka i Ania", where Ania is a diminutive of Anna. The name of the third woman is not given, and there is no place or date.
My thought with the photos of Jadwiga and Halina Grams is that your father must have had a brother, in addition to the two sisters you know of.
Sophia
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:09 am      Post subject:

Hi again George,
Thanks for posting the text for Sheet 1. It is harder to read, but I think that the more useful information about places was already learned on Sheet 2. Here on Sheet 1 are 7 photos.
1. "here I am with my wife"
2. "here I am with my wife and my younger daughter" Her name is given, but hard for me to read. Irena? Iwona? Very unsure of her name.
3. "here I am with my wife...." then hard to read but probably saying where they are dancing or what they are celebrating
4. sent as a memento from "Danka, dad and mom"
5. sent to uncle and aunt from Wanda, dated 23rd of September, 1965
6. The picture of the man in uniform is interesting. He sends it to the beloved family he does not know. He signs it, and I have a little trouble knowing if he is giving a first name or a surname. What I see is Błaszek, which could be a diminutive of the given name Błażej, but I have doubt about that.
7. Halina, 15th of November, 1962, written in Mierzeszyn

I would be happy if anyone else were to add to, or correct, my reading of these bits of text.

Hope this is all helpful,
Sophia
George Grams

Post Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:59 am      Post subject:

Sophia, thank you for the translations.

These are photographs that dad received when he first made contact with his family in the early 60’s through the Red Cross, thus the reference from the army officer about the family he does not know. He was sent these prior to his trip to Poland to reconnect with his family. I don’t know the army officer’s connection to my father. I’m guessing the husband of one of my father’s nieces. Dad’s blood relations seem to have been almost all women. Wanda was my father’s niece but I’m not sure which of his sisters was her mother.

I have no memory of my father speaking of a brother. I don’t know the identity of the man with the accordion and who is dancing, or his family’s connection to my father. I believe these are all the photographic clues I have but I’ll search again in the family photograph album. I also have yet to receive my father’s naturalization papers. They might contain additional information.

George
looking for clues
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 122

Post Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 9:45 am      Post subject:

George, it looks like the old photographs and Sophia's helpful translations can provide some additional clues!

This is probably a long shot, but it might be worth contacting the Red Cross to see if a file has been preserved regarding your father's 1960's search for his family. Maybe you can start researching how records were kept with your local Red Cross.

Edited to add if the Canadian Red Cross can't help with record preservation standards, try the Aberdeen, Scotland office or ask for contact to a Polish Red Cross office.
George Grams

Post Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:46 pm      Post subject:

Thanks for the inspiration, Diane. Great suggestion.
George Grams

Post Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:56 pm      Post subject:

Today I received the Certificate of Naturalisation for my father. The details recorded are:
Place and date of birth: Lubicz, Lipno, Poland. 3 January 1925.
Parents: Ludwik and Maria Magdalena Grams (Polish).

The place and date of birth come as a surprise. I see Lubicz is some distance from Gdansk where I thought he was born and lived. And we always celebrated his birth on 4 January, not the third. Maybe he wasn’t sure. Additionally, he always claimed he was born in 1924, but perhaps he needed to do so in order to join the Polish navy. The photograph I’ve attached shows him (he’s on the left) in uniform with a fellow sailor. I’m not sure when he made it to the UK but it could well have been around 1942. In that case he would have been too young to sign up if he were born in 1925.

Anyway, the pieces of the puzzle are slowly coming together. With this new information I do hope I can track his birth certificate.

My thanks for the suggestions that helped me get here.

Edmund Grams.pdf
 Description:
Photograph of Edmund Grams (on the left).

Download
 Filename:  Edmund Grams.pdf
 Filesize:  175.93 KB
 Downloaded:  369 Time(s)

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:51 am      Post subject:

George Grams wrote:
Today I received the Certificate of Naturalisation for my father. The details recorded are:
Place and date of birth: Lubicz, Lipno, Poland. 3 January 1925.
Parents: Ludwik and Maria Magdalena Grams (Polish).

The place and date of birth come as a surprise. I see Lubicz is some distance from Gdansk where I thought he was born and lived. And we always celebrated his birth on 4 January, not the third. Maybe he wasn’t sure. Additionally, he always claimed he was born in 1924, but perhaps he needed to do so in order to join the Polish navy. The photograph I’ve attached shows him (he’s on the left) in uniform with a fellow sailor. I’m not sure when he made it to the UK but it could well have been around 1942. In that case he would have been too young to sign up if he were born in 1925.

Anyway, the pieces of the puzzle are slowly coming together. With this new information I do hope I can track his birth certificate.

My thanks for the suggestions that helped me get here.

Hi George,
This is great new information. I looked at a current map of Poland and was wondering why Lubicz would be considered part of Lipno powiat, rather than part of Torun powiat. Then I pulled up a map that shows Poland in the interwar period, when your father was born. It does seem possible that Lubicz was within Lipno's area, though it would be nice to have a map that includes more details of the locations of cities. Take a look:
http://maps.geshergalicia.org/galicia/poland-interwar-1939-1/
The task now is to find the church in which he would have been baptized. That will give you the record of his birth. I will see what I can find.
As for the discrepancy in his birth year, I agree with you that he may have wanted to appear a year older in order to serve.
Best,
Sophia
looking for clues
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 122

Post Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:58 am      Post subject:

George and Sophia,

I found this map of the Lipno Powiat in the Płock Gubernia – 1907 https://stephendanko.com/blog/21442 You can zoom in and find Lubicz in the upper left corner (written on the yellow.)

The main pages lists parishes were part of the Lipno Powiat at the beginning of the 20th Century. I didn't study if any were close by. By the time of your father's birth it is possible parishes changed and/or baptism could have been across the Powiat border.

George, you are making progress!

When my own U.S. born father applied for a passport, there was a one day discrepancy about his birth. I always wondered if he was born around midnight and somebody wasn't exact. Also, on one branch of my family, children were born in various towns that were a little distance away. I was surprised to learn how much they apparently moved around.

Good luck!

Diane
George Grams

Post Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:50 am      Post subject:

Sophia and Diane, those are interesting maps and would look well framed. Thank you for your efforts on my behalf. I appreciate your kindness and the help you are delivering.

I'm about to head to France for a short vacation with my daughter which will mean an enforced break from heritage detective work. I'll resume the task once I return home to Salt Spring Island on Saturday 15th June. It's encouraging to be making this progress. I can see why becoming immersed in heritage investigative work can become so engrossing!
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:31 pm      Post subject:

George, enjoy your time away!

Diane, that is such an excellent map. It shows Lubicz sitting right on the very border between Prussian and Russian Poland, prior to the first world war. On the map, just southeast of Lubicz, I see a cross which should indicate a church in Brzozowka (accent over the second "o"). Or is the dot with the cross associated instead with Dobrzejewice? Whichever it is, that might be the place to look for Grams family records. If we are lucky enough to find records in the right timeframe for Edmund's birth or his parents' marriage (early 1920s), they ought to be in Polish.

Best,
Sophia
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:30 pm      Post subject:

Sophia wrote:
George, enjoy your time away!

Diane, that is such an excellent map. It shows Lubicz sitting right on the very border between Prussian and Russian Poland, prior to the first world war. On the map, just southeast of Lubicz, I see a cross which should indicate a church in Brzozowka (accent over the second "o"). Or is the dot with the cross associated instead with Dobrzejewice? Whichever it is, that might be the place to look for Grams family records. If we are lucky enough to find records in the right timeframe for Edmund's birth or his parents' marriage (early 1920s), they ought to be in Polish.

Best,
Sophia

Hi George, Sophia & Diane,

During the 19th Century Lubicz was within the German Partition. According to the Słownik geograficzny there was a Lutheran parish there and the Catholic parish was in Kaszczorek Link: http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_V/401
After WWI, according to the Skorowidz...(published c. 1930) Lubicz was the site of both a Lutheran and a Catholic parish. Link: http://www.wbc.poznan.pl/dlibra/applet?mimetype=image%2Fx.djvu&sec=false&handler=djvu_html5&content_url=%2FContent%2F12786%2Fdirectory.djvu&p=912 The pertinent entry is Lubicz koło Torunia. The last column on the right contains the parish info.
Since 1925 (or 1924) falls within the 100 year privacy rule it probably would be necessary to contact the registry office or the parish.

Hope this info helps.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Page 2 of 3

Jump to: