PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:42 am      Post subject: Surname Subota, Subbota, Sobota, Sobotkowska etc

Hello!

My favorite hobby is genealogy and I have been doing research about origin of my surname (Subbota) last years.

I tracked my paternal roots till 1670. This man with surname Subotovskiy (but after 50 years it will be Subota) was cossack near city Novie Sangari, Ukraine.

Because this surname isn't too common, I decided to start DNA project and do Y-test for any Subota (again, Subbota, Sobota, Subotich etc) to check are we relative or not.

It's really hard to find people with same surname who agree to do this test. It's understandable, some unknown man offers some weird DNA test, what is it?

Partially for this reason, to be more official, I made my website, and it has some pages about origin of my surname.

That's link, but it's completely in Russian and I am not sure is it useful.

I do Y-12 test as a start and use FTDNA for this. That's my group (only 9 members for now, soon it has to be 11, but I started with myself only, so it's kind of progress).

I found 3 branches of Subbota (independent). It looks like one of them went from Serbia. So Subbota in Russia was Subota in Ukraine, and before was Subotich in Serbia.

I started to expand area of testing. Before it was mosly Ukraine, because my origin from this country. Than I added Russia, than Belarus, than Serbia. Now I am thinking - It's good idea to test also people from Poland.

So if anyone wants to do it, I can cover this Y-12 test. Please write comment here or send me a message. It will be nice to work together to create one huge research about our surname.

Best regards,
Anton Subbota
SierraPerez

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Yesterday at 9:01 am      Post subject: Swoboda

Hello! I don't know if it's any relation or not, but some of my Polish ancestors had the last name Swoboda. Good luck!
SubbotaAnton

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Yesterday at 9:05 am      Post subject:

According to Y-DNA test on 67 markers, I have a lot (95%) matches with people from Grand Duchy of Lithuania.

It includes prince Guedroitz (genetic distance 5). So it looks like roots of my surname came originally from the territory of Poland or close to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: