PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2782

Post Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:54 am      Post subject: Re: Rogus family

losiledlighting wrote:
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to Polish Origins and am looking for info on my maternal great grandfather, Joseph Rogus. On one census, it says he came from Austria and I'm not sure which part of Poland that would be during the late 1880's, early 1890's. His wife was Sofia Stellmacht and they lived in Harleigh, Pennsylvania in the early 1890's (he came over before she did; they were married in Poland).

Any help would be appreciated!

Hi,

The area of Poland ruled by Austria from 1772 until the end of WWI was the southern portion of contemporary Poland. It was referred to as Galicia and is also known in the USA as Austrian Poland. Attached is a map of Galicia from the late 19th Century. The eastern portion of what was then Galicia is currently part of Ukraine and the western portion is in Poland.

Wishing you success,

Dave

Galicia 1897.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  952.1 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Galicia 1897.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: