PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:55 pm      Post subject: Prayer card terms

I have a number of prayer cards from the 1920s and 30s that I have been translating. I am having trouble finding what
S. P. and D. O. M. mean. Any search for D. O. M. comes up as house instead of what the individual terms mean.

img20190324_21000680.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  208 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

img20190324_21000680.jpg

Visit poster's website
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:41 pm      Post subject:

Hi,

It's a wonderful project you are doing! Perhaps you are aware of this guide, but if not, the PGSA (Polish Genealogical Society of America) has a very useful guide, which is a 13 page pdf file that you can download for free, if you click on the words "Obituary Translation Guide" on this page: http://pgsa.org/dziennik-chicagoski-death-notices-1890-1929/

Among those many pages, you will see the answer to one of your questions: "świętej pamięci" is what the S.P. stands for. I would translate it as, "of holy memory" but the guide translates it to the simple way we often express this idea, "late."
As for the D.O.M., I have no clue. I hope someone else joins in with an answer to that. If you see it only on her card and not on others, it may tell you about some society to which she belonged. If it is on all cards, it is likely to be something like "rest in peace" (but for sure it is not that) where the "m" might stand for "modlitwa" (prayer) but I do not know what the rest of the phrase would be.
I see that this woman's name is spelled Katazyna on her card, where I would expect it to be Katarzyna (note the added "r").

Best of luck with your project,
Sophia
mfhy2k

Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:17 pm      Post subject:

Thanks. I have reviewed those links but couldn't find those terms.
Visit poster's website
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:16 am      Post subject:

mfhy2k wrote:
Thanks. I have reviewed those links but couldn't find those terms.

At least you now have one of the two terms you asked about.
looking for clues
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 122

Post Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:53 am      Post subject:

I searched around online regarding D.O.M. and I'm not sure that I am on the right track, but I am now wondering if D.O.M. could be a Latin abbreviation rather than Polish.

I found D.O.M. related to tombstone inscriptions here - http://www.alsirat.com/symbols/latin.html shows:
Deo, Optimo, Maximo (D.O.M.) - To God, the Best, the Greatest (motto of the Benedictine order)
Domino, Optimo, Maximo (D.O.M.) - The Lord, the Best, the Greatest.(alternate motto)

Diane
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:36 am      Post subject: Re: Prayer card terms

mfhy2k wrote:
I have a number of prayer cards from the 1920s and 30s that I have been translating. I am having trouble finding what
S. P. and D. O. M. mean. Any search for D. O. M. comes up as house instead of what the individual terms mean.

mfhy2k, Sophia, & Diane,

The abbreviation Sophia explained is one commonly used both in Poland and in the USA. The D.O.M. abbreviation seems to be of local usage.

The Polish Genealogical Society of New York State (located near Buffalo) has a funeral card project. Perhaps your question regard D.O.M. could best be answered by contacting the society. Here is the link http://pgsnys.org/ They also accept copies of funeral cards, which may be of interest to you as part of your translation project.

Wishing you success,

Dave
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 304

Post Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:49 pm      Post subject:

Hello.
Ś.P. is regulary used in Poland. It indeed means "Świętej Pamięci".
D.O.M. is little harder to recognize as it's not in use nowadays, but still appears on old monuments, family tombs - i suppose that latin abbreviation meant to give some nobility to buried person. I think "Domus Omnium Mortuorum" suits better here.
mfhy2k

Post Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:56 pm      Post subject:

That is some great information. More than I had. I think I was looking the wrong way.
Visit poster's website
mfhy2k

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:49 am      Post subject:

I decided to join the Polish Genealogical Society of New York State. Their prayer card project sounds interesting.
Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Other topics related to Poland and Polish roots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: