PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 11

Post Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:40 am      Post subject: Kwitniewska/Kwiecien dilemma

I have had a lot of success (using the Geneteka website) in finding information on Antoni Blaszkiewicz & Aniela Kwietniewska including marriage (22 May 1871) and the birth/death of many children. However, I have also found a birth entry for Marianna (10 Apr 1882), daughter of Antoni Blaszkiewicz and Aniela Kwiecien and am wondering if this is acutally the same couple. The birthdate fits nicely with the other children, as does the place of all the other life events for this couple - Zamosc, Janowiec, Lubelskie. Also I cannot find any other entry for Aniela Kwiecien relating to an Antoni. I would love to assume that they are actually the same couple and that this is just an error in the records, but I have made erroneous assumptions before and don't want to fall into that trap again! Any suggestions as to how I could confirm this either way?
Thanks for reading!
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:41 pm      Post subject:

In my opinion, they are the same person. My reason: there is a birth record for a Ludwik Blaszkiewicz in 19.09.1888 with the mother shown as Aniela Kwietniewska. There is also a death record for Ludwik Blaszkiewicz a month later 18.10.1888 with the mother shown as Aniela Kwiecien. Same father in both, same village in both. This leads me to the conclusion they are the same person, but the scribe wrote the name differently.

If you want proof of this logic, then post the death record for Ludwik to the Russian translation forum and ask for someone to translate the age of the Ludwik at time of death. If it is 1 month, then you know it is the same child and therefore the same parents - in particular the same mother although her surname is written differently in each record.

Another option to prove it: I am sure a member of the forum who understands Polish surnames and how they are written can tell you if Kwiecien and Kwitniewska are variations of the same surname.

Cynthia
Send e-mail
crumblebucket

Post Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:18 pm      Post subject:

Hi Cynthia - thank you for taking the time to reply. I'm thinking along the same lines as you, especially since there was a previous child called Ludwik who died just prior to the birth of this Ludwik (I know it was not unusual to re-use a name when a child died). I am just waiting for the translation of Marianna's birth certificate to find out the ages of Antoni and Aniela so I can see if that ties in with the dates of birth I have for them. I will then ask for Ludwik's death details, as you have suggested.
Thanks again.
crumblebucket

Post Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:03 pm      Post subject:

Hello again Cynthia. Just thought I'd let you know that I took your advice & got a translation of Ludwik's death dertificate, & the ages did tie up. However, for Marianna's birth certificate, Aniela's age did not tie up with the date of birth that I have (although Antoni's did) but I guess there is even more room for error with ages, so am still hopeful!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: