PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 11

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:11 pm      Post subject: Kokoszka, Fryzel, Kon and Minta

I am looking for information on the orgin of the last names Kokoszka, Fryzel, Kon and Minta. I know that all 4 of my great-granparents came to the US between 1903-1907. I have no idea where the Minta's in our family came from. I can't find Ellis Island records. I do know that based on immigration records, Joseph Kokozka was from Czernesia. The Kokoszka's changed their name to Koska in the 1930's. Barbara Kon was from Dabrowka. I'm confused about where this is because according to maps there are lots of Dabrowka's in Poland. Franz Fryzel was from Kupina, Poland. All four people above immigrated to Fall River, Massachusetts. Elisabeth Minta and Joseph Kokoszka married and Barbara Kon and Franz Fryzel married.
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:26 pm      Post subject:

HI,
Nineteen Minta found in www.stevemorse.org Gold Form.
Barbara declared her nationality as Austrian, so it has to be a Dabrowka in what was then the Austrian-Hungarian Empire. Still a needle in a haystack: there were nothing less 16 Dabrowka, plus 6 Dabrowica. Some of these places are now located in Southern Poland and some in Ukraine.
In the same website I have found more Kon coming from Dabrowka (Maryanna, Anton).
Gilberto
Send e-mail
ELK15

Replies: 11

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:32 pm      Post subject:

Gilberto,

Thanks very much. I found the same information for Maryanna and Anton as well as Barbara Kon. I do know that all four great-grandparents mentioned above were Polish because they all spoke Polish (and mostly only Polish) there whole lives. I assume that should rule out the possiblity that they were from Ukraine. On Barbara Kon's immigration record it says she was going to meet a brother-in-law Gregor Pekalski in the US. I found a Gregor Pekalski who came to the US a few years before with a wife Paulina. This would then be Barbara's sister Paulina Kon. I'm frustrated because I'm not sure how to narrow down the right town. Traditionally we have been told in our family that we came from the Krakow region of Poland, but no one every specified who out of the 4 relatives came from Krakow.
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:14 pm      Post subject:

When Poland territory was partioned among Prussia, Russia and Austria-Hungary, Poles who lived there stood there, but when they immigrated their papers were filled as "russians", "germans" or "austrians" or "galicians", depending on the power that was ruling the area they came from. They lived as Poles, their hearts were Pole, but their papers were not. If there is a Dabrowka near Krakow area it would be a good starting point.
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: