PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 10

Post Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:02 am      Post subject: Town parish association

Hello all!

Is there a database, list, map, web site, or other resource that would help find to what Parish a particular town belongs (during a certain time period - assuming they change over time)?

A while ago I found my great-grandfather's (Wawrzyn Sowiński) birth record while on a business trip to Salt Lake City, but I did not record the parish. The birth record indicates place of birth as Obudno, Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship.

Recently I was performing a search on geneteka.genealodzy.pl and came across a listing for a sibling, Józefa Sowińska, and it listed she passed away in Wiktorowo (Szczepanowo parish), Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship. From this I was able to use Family Search records to find her birth record in the same parish. I searched through the parish records looking for other entries with no luck. Wiktorowo and Obudno are in the same area but I guess belong to different parishes.

How can I find to what Parish Obudno belongs (1870's time frame)?
Visit poster's website
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:35 am      Post subject: Re: Town parish association

LadaClan wrote:
Hello all!

Is there a database, list, map, web site, or other resource that would help find to what Parish a particular town belongs (during a certain time period - assuming they change over time)?

A while ago I found my great-grandfather's (Wawrzyn Sowiński) birth record while on a business trip to Salt Lake City, but I did not record the parish. The birth record indicates place of birth as Obudno, Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship.

Recently I was performing a search on geneteka.genealodzy.pl and came across a listing for a sibling, Józefa Sowińska, and it listed she passed away in Wiktorowo (Szczepanowo parish), Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship. From this I was able to use Family Search records to find her birth record in the same parish. I searched through the parish records looking for other entries with no luck. Wiktorowo and Obudno are in the same area but I guess belong to different parishes.

the romancatholic parish name is Chomiąża

http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_VII/359

https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/search?q=chomi%C4%85%C5%BCa%20XTYPEro%3Apra

PAYPAL: [email protected]
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:58 am      Post subject: Re: Town parish association

LadaClan wrote:
Hello all!

Hi,

There is a book published in the 1930s, Skorowidz miejscowości…, which lists places in the Second Polish Republic in index format. The column on the far right contains the parish info. The letter r is for Roman Catholic and the letter e is for Evangelical (Protestant). You may find this format easier to deal with than the Słownik geograficzny if you do not have a good command of Polish. Here is the link to the publication: http://www.wbc.poznan.pl/dlibra/docmetadata?id=12786&from=publication
Here is the link to the entry you would need: http://www.wbc.poznan.pl/dlibra/applet?mimetype=image%2Fx.djvu&sec=false&handler=djvu_html5&content_url=%2FContent%2F12786%2Fdirectory.djvu&p=1173

Wishing you continued success,

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:22 pm      Post subject: Re: Town parish association

Hi, again—

The full name of the parish is Chomiąża Szlachecka. The attached map shows both Obudno and Chomiąża Szlachecka.

Dave

Screenshot_2019-08-11 mapa szukacz pl - Mapa Polski z planami miast_LI.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  773.57 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Screenshot_2019-08-11 mapa szukacz pl - Mapa Polski z planami miast_LI.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: