PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:18 am      Post subject: Looking for ancestors Paszkiewicz - kowienska gubernia

Hello,

I'm looking for more information about my great great grandfather. His name is Aleksander (birth year is either 1842-1844) and he came to Tbilisi, Georgia, sometime in the 1860s. The family legend says that his name was written with a mistake while registering in Georgia, and thus our family became Tashkevich. We know he arrived from somewhere in Lithuania, and served in a military. So far I thought that our initial name was Tyszkewicz. But looking at the church metrics in Tbilisi I found a marriage certificate of my great grandfather (Aleksander's son), as well as certificates of his two sisters. And these certificates has Paszkiewicz on all of them. One certificate says the family was from Kowienska gubernia.
Aleksander married in Tbilisi, and his marriage certificate states names of his parents Antoni (the name is stated wrong as Tashkevish) and Magdalena Stankiewicz.
Kowienska gubernia is a clue, as well as I'm pretty sure now that Paszkiewicz is the original name. However, it does feel like looking for a needle in a hay stack at the moment. I'd appreciate any advice on how and where to proceed (links to databases, etc).
Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: