PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 7

Post Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:36 pm      Post subject: Seeking Relatives in Jablonka or Witkowice: Kurzak or Mazur

I'm just getting started looking for relatives and I need to really get on the ball, as I'm traveling there on October 2 with my teenage son! We would love to meet some relatives while there.

I have some family records (baptism), but can't make out what they say. The surnames I'm interested in finding are Mazur and Kurzak, and it appears my ancestors may have come from Jablonka, Witkowice, Brzozow, Podlasie. My grandfather (Chester Kurzak) visited some relatives in Poland in the 80s, but unfortunately did not share any information about who he visited, or where. I only have a postcard.

My grandfather, Chester Kurzak lived in Buffalo NY. His parents came from Poland and their names were:
Stanley (Stanislaw) Kurzak, born April 9 1887... parents were John Kurzak and Maria Polanek
Helen Mazur (I believe she was married to a man before Stanley whose last name was Tyszka but he passed away.)
Stanley and Helen were married on June 24, 1919. I have the certificate but can't read the location. Will upload for assistance now that I've found this great website.

Any tips?
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4195

Post Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:54 pm      Post subject: Re: Seeking Relatives in Jablonka or Witkowice: Kurzak or Ma

shandean wrote:
I'm just getting started looking for relatives and I need to really get on the ball, as I'm traveling there on October 2 with my teenage son! We would love to meet some relatives while there.

I have some family records (baptism), but can't make out what they say. The surnames I'm interested in finding are Mazur and Kurzak, and it appears my ancestors may have come from Jablonka, Witkowice, Brzozow, Podlasie. My grandfather (Chester Kurzak) visited some relatives in Poland in the 80s, but unfortunately did not share any information about who he visited, or where. I only have a postcard.

My grandfather, Chester Kurzak lived in Buffalo NY. His parents came from Poland and their names were:
Stanley (Stanislaw) Kurzak, born April 9 1887... parents were John Kurzak and Maria Polanek
Helen Mazur (I believe she was married to a man before Stanley whose last name was Tyszka but he passed away.)
Stanley and Helen were married on June 24, 1919. I have the certificate but can't read the location. Will upload for assistance now that I've found this great website.

Any tips?

Is there any address on this postcard?

PAYPAL: [email protected]
shandean

Replies: 7

Post Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:40 pm      Post subject:

I'm super frustrated because I can't find it. I know I have it in one of my numerous boxes. Once I am able to locate it, will upload. I believe it's pointing out a hotel he stayed in in Krakow. The only details I have of his trip is that he visited an old lady who was a relative. There was no road to her house so he had to park at the bottom and walk up the hill to get to her. Not a lot, I know, but all I remember.
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:48 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

I searched for US documents in Ancestry.com for Stanislaw Kurzak and found a number of census documents and passenger lists for him and for his Kurzak relatives (Wincenty, Franciszek, Jan, Jozef). All of the documents show the same village name for all of them: Podolsze.

Here is information about Podolsze from Wikipedia. I could not find online parish records for this village, but perhaps other members of the forum can help you with that.

Podolsze [pɔˈdɔlʂɛ] is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Zator, within Oświęcim County, Lesser Poland Voivodeship, in southern Poland. It lies approximately 3 kilometres (2 mi) north of Zator, 15 km (9 mi) east of Oświęcim, and 37 km (23 mi) west of the regional capital Kraków.[1]

The village has a population of 1,405.

link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podolsze

Hope this helps narrow it down for you.
All the best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:56 pm      Post subject:

Oh, and the 1915 NY State Census shows a Helen Tyszka married to John Tyszka with 3 children: Sophie, Adam, and Eve. I found a NY state death index for John Tyszka who died in October, 1918. She must have then married Stanislaw Kurzak in June 1919, because the 1920 and 1930 census shows stepchildren of Stanislaw's with the names and ages that match.

Cynthia
Send e-mail
1ams7874

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:38 pm      Post subject: Solenski or Solinski

We are looking for relatives of Michael and Alexander Solenski born in or around Kobyloeny, Poland. The brothers arrived in America in the early 1900's. We know of one cousin, John, who was a miner in Hazelton, PA. We have photo proof of another cousin who was married in Jersey City, NJ. We have a pic but no name. If anyone can help we would be indeed grateful.. Michael and Alexander left the mines in PA and moved to Jewett City, CT and worked in a cloth mill.

Clyde Solenski [email protected]
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:41 pm      Post subject:

Hello Clyde,

I suggest you repost your request as a “new topic” so it can be seen. Right now it is buried at the end of this subject’s thread.

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: