PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:13 pm      Post subject: Looking for Juszkiewicz ancestors

Hi. I did a research on my ancestors, but i'm exhausted. I guess due the World Wars there's not much information about it.
My great-grandfather Hersz Juszkiewicz flew to Argentina in 1932~~.
I have his birth certificate which indicates he was born in Lodz in 1907, his father was Szlomo and his mother was Simel.

Attached here is like a family certificate i found in a polish website.

If somebody has a way to validate this certificate (like why is it in german?) and how i can find more ancestors would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance Very Happy

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-27 at 11.18.32 PM.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  402.85 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-27 at 11.18.32 PM.jpeg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1028

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:57 pm      Post subject: Re: Looking for Juszkiewicz ancestors

lnjr09 wrote:
Hi. I did a research on my ancestors, but i'm exhausted. I guess due the World Wars there's not much information about it.
My great-grandfather Hersz Juszkiewicz flew to Argentina in 1932~~.
I have his birth certificate which indicates he was born in Lodz in 1907, his father was Szlomo and his mother was Simel.

Attached here is like a family certificate i found in a polish website.

If somebody has a way to validate this certificate (like why is it in german?) and how i can find more ancestors would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance Very Happy

Hi,
You have here a registration card. It is bilingual, both German and Polish. It was kept by the local government as a way of tracking who lived where, and when. Such a registration card was not made on a single date, like a census was. It was kept on file and continually updated. That is why the card, itself, does not have a date. The right-half of the card lists any time the person (and his family) changed address. There, you can see the family moved in both 1918 and 1919. On 30 April 1918, they moved from house #15 to house #23 on Aleksandryjska street. On 14 July 1919, they moved to house #21 on Brzezinska street. From these dates, you know that this card was in use right after the end of World War I. If you read a bit about the history of Łódź during and after WWI, it will help you understand why both languages were used on an official document from this period.
Also, you can see that Simel's maiden name was Morgenthaler. Both she and Szlomo were born in Sobota. You can tell that the person who wrote the information on the registration card was writing in Polish, because the birth for Szlomo is written as "w Sobocie" which means "in Sobota." If this person were thinking in German rather than Polish, they would not have written it that way. Also, in the entry for Simel, it says "ur. Morgenthaler" whereas a German would have written "geb. Morgenthaler." Both are abbreviations for "born," a way of indicating a woman's maiden name.
Best of luck in your search,
Sophia
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:34 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

welcome to the forum. The record you attached is a kind of census record. As to why it is in German and Polish, the link below (which describes the collection in detail) says:

"During World War I, from 1916–1918, Lódz was controlled by the Germans, and they began registering all residents of the city, not only those who had their legal residence there. This is a collection of these cards, which exist for the years 1916–21."

Here is the link to the full description of the collection:
https://www.ushmm.org/online/hsv/source_view.php?SourceId=43113

As to where to look for further records of your family, I suggest to contact the volunteer town coordinator from Jewish Records Indexing (JRI Poland). Here is the link to the town page for Lodz and a button you can select to contact the coordinator of the project.

https://www.jri-poland.org/town/Lodz/

I will look around a bit more and allow others to add to my suggestions.

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:18 pm      Post subject:

Hello again,

Here is a link to two records for your family. One is a death record for Idesa in the Lodz Ghetto, and the other is a Lodz Ghetto registration card for Ruchla. THere are links for you to request copies of the records.

https://www.ushmm.org/online/hsv/person_advance_search.php?NameSearch__SourceSrchGrp=&NameSearch__ParentSourceId=&NameSearch__sort=score&NameSearch__MaxPageDocs=25&NameSearch__lname=Juszkiewicz&NameSearch__lname_accuracy=&NameSearch__fname=Szlama&NameSearch__fname_accuracy=Fuzzy&NameSearch__lname_maiden=&NameSearch__lname_maiden_accuracy=&NameSearch__Query=&NameSearch__SourceId=&source_list=&NameSearch__year_birth=&NameSearch__year_birth_accuracy=&NameSearch__year_death=&NameSearch__year_death_accuracy=&NameSearch__year=&NameSearch__year_accuracy=&NameSearch__place=&NameSearch__place_accuracy=&NameSearch__place_IsGeoExpand_cb_1=expand&NameSearch__place_IsGeoExpand_cb_0=&NameSearch__place_birth=&NameSearch__place_birth_accuracy=&NameSearch__place_birth_IsGeoExpand_cb_1=expand&NameSearch__place_birth_IsGeoExpand_cb_0=&NameSearch__place_prewar=&NameSearch__place_prewar_accuracy=&NameSearch__place_prewar_IsGeoExpand_cb_1=expand&NameSearch__place_prewar_IsGeoExpand_cb_0=&NameSearch__place_wartime=&NameSearch__place_wartime_accuracy=&NameSearch__place_wartime_IsGeoExpand_cb_1=expand&NameSearch__place_wartime_IsGeoExpand_cb_0=&NameSearch__place_death=&NameSearch__place_death_accuracy=&NameSearch__place_death_IsGeoExpand_cb_1=expand&NameSearch__place_death_IsGeoExpand_cb_0=&NameSearch__meta_333=&NameSearch__meta_259=

I will keep looking....
Cynthia
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:21 pm      Post subject:

Here is a link for a record for Szymela:

https://www.ushmm.org/online/hsv/person_view.php?PersonId=7481602

Cynthia
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: