PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:50 am      Post subject: SIMPEL in Lwow

Hi,
I have been searching my family. Last names: SIMPEL and BERNER.
I have found some birth declaration on a website (https://jri-poland.org) and have been wondering about its meaning as i read the words "false Simpel" and i read some new unknown Last name "Lowitz" attached to my great great grand mother.
Does that mean that Simpel was not her real last name ? or does the word "False" means something else in Polish ? Was she born Simpel ? or is Simpel her married name ? or did she just changed her name to Simpel for some reason ?

As you can see in the attached file, act nr 512 : there is written
"Malke Rywke xxx Lowitz (False Simpel) "

a) i can't read the xxx part between Rywke and Lowitz, what is it and what does it mean ?
b) What does FALSE mean ? Is it the english word written in a polish document or does it have a meaning in Polish ?
c) If someone manage to read the full sentence and what is written , that would be amazing.

I have been trying to find answers by myself with polish birth records format instructions, with no success.

Thank you so much for any help.
Mikael.

m.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.68 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

m.jpg

katarzyna_t
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 82

Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:42 am      Post subject: Re: SIMPEL in Lwow

Mikael wrote:
Hi,
I have been searching my family. Last names: SIMPEL and BERNER.
I have found some birth declaration on a website (https://jri-poland.org) and have been wondering about its meaning as i read the words "false Simpel" and i read some new unknown Last name "Lowitz" attached to my great great grand mother.
Does that mean that Simpel was not her real last name ? or does the word "False" means something else in Polish ? Was she born Simpel ? or is Simpel her married name ? or did she just changed her name to Simpel for some reason ?

As you can see in the attached file, act nr 512 : there is written
"Malke Rywke xxx Lowitz (False Simpel) "

a) i can't read the xxx part between Rywke and Lowitz, what is it and what does it mean ?
b) What does FALSE mean ? Is it the english word written in a polish document or does it have a meaning in Polish ?
c) If someone manage to read the full sentence and what is written , that would be amazing.

I have been trying to find answers by myself with polish birth records format instructions, with no success.

Thank you so much for any help.
Mikael.

Hi Mikael,

I will try to answer your questions:

a) it is "2 im." what means "two given names", in this case Malke Rywke. When you look into the column 4 where we have a name of the child ("Imię" in polish), you can see "Maurycy Jegor 2 im." - two given names as well. And please have a look at act 511, one line above, there is only "Fani", one given name so there is no "2 im." note here

b) when you review my translation you will see that Malke Rywke had a surname of her mother - Chana Jita Lawitz. "False Simpel" means "allegedly Simpel", Simpel was a surname of Malke's allegedly (informal) father

c) here is a translation:
column 1: Liczba porządkowa=Number: 512
col. 2: Urodzenia=Birth: 16 April 1899, Lwów, Pilnikowska Street, house number 3
col. 3: Obrzezania lub nadania imienia=Circumcision or giving the name: 22 April 1899, Lwów, Żułkiewska Street, house number 44B
col. 4: Imię i płeć=Name and sex of the child: Maurycy Jegor, boy
col. 5: Urodzenie ślubne, rzekomo ślubne lub nieślubne= Born legitimate, allegedly legitimate or illegitimate: illegitimate
col. 6: Imię i nazwisko ojca=Name and surname of the father: blank
col. 7: Imię i nazwisko matki=Name and surname of the mother: Malke Rywke (two given names) Lawitz (allegedly Simpel), miss, living in Lwów with Abraham Jojn Berner, painter-varnisher, daughter of poultry trader from Lwów, Chana Jita Lawitz (and allegedly Chajim Szyja Simpel, painter-varnisher from Lwów)
col. 8/9/10: Własnoręczny podpis z wymienieniem zatrudnienia i miejsca zamieszkania=Signature with proffesion and address
col. 8: Kumów lub świadków/sandeka lub szamesa=Godparents or witnesses/person honored at a Jewish brit milah (circumcision) ceremony: Izak Mund, owner from Lwów, sandek
col. 9: Obrzezującego lub obrzezujących=Mohel, person who performs ritual Jewish circumcisions: R.F. Bodek
col. 10: Akuszerki lub akuszera=Midwife or obstetrician: Róża Szkapira
col. 11: Dzieci nieżywo urodzone=Children born dead: blank
col. 12: Uwagi=Comments: blank

Good luck with your further research!
Katarzyna
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: