PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:20 am      Post subject:

Back of the Yards map update with some known members names/locations.

BOY map w-id 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  98.94 KB
 Viewed:  10554 Time(s)

BOY map w-id 1.jpg

Send e-mail
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:49 am      Post subject:

Bill Rushin wrote:
Back of the Yards map update with some known members names/locations.

Bill,
Your "Back of the Yards" map is great! You made a map of my grandparents' residences in Chicago for me some time ago and I was wondering if any of these streets they lived at belonged to "Back of the Yards" (I'm not good with street maps ...)
Ute Sad

Utes+Chicago+Map.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  191.62 KB

Utes+Chicago+Map.jpg

Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:58 pm      Post subject:

[/quote]Your "Back of the Yards" map is great! You made a map of my grandparents' residences in Chicago for me some time ago and I was wondering if any of these streets they lived at belonged to "Back of the Yards" (I'm not good with street maps ...)
Ute Sad[/quote]

Sure no problem, aw your folks are a little north of the BOY neighborhood.

Ute compare BOY.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  620.81 KB

Ute compare BOY.png

Send e-mail
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:31 pm      Post subject:

Quote:
Sure no problem, aw your folks are a little north of the BOY neighborhood.

Thank you vey much, Bill!
neilfan2
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 50

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:40 pm      Post subject: Back of the Yards

This is for Louise Walczak or anyone else looking to check out the neighborhood. It has not been a polish neighborhood for quite some time, and this is Chicago. I live in a suburb of Chicago and don't know that I would visit the old homestead. Go with caution.
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:57 pm      Post subject: Re: Back of the Yards

neilfan2 wrote:
This is for Louise Walczak or anyone else looking to check out the neighborhood. It has not been a polish neighborhood for quite some time, and this is Chicago. I live in a suburb of Chicago and don't know that I would visit the old homestead. Go with caution.

Thanks Neil, I was going to mention that too. Yes it has changed greatly, mostly Black American and Mexican mixed neighborhood now days with all the crime that goes along with the inner city.

I give credit to "The Back of the Yards Neighborhood Council" as they try hard to improve their old neighborhood.

http://bync.org/
Send e-mail
Hussar

Replies: 35

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:13 pm      Post subject:

Ute, the majority of the addresses on your map indicate the neighborhood once known as West Town. Realtors had divvied up the area and refer to some of it as Wicker Park, Ukrainian Village, etc. The Fay st. address would be smack dab in the middle of the Kennedy Expressway, prior to November 29th, 1963 known as the Northwest Expressway. It would have been a short walk to St. John Cantius from there. If you notice a strange hook to the Expressway, that was by intervention from Congressmen Rostenkowski and Lechowicz to save St. Stanislaus Kostka from being razed to make way for the new road. To this day anyone travelling down the Kennedy (I90/94) southbound past North Ave. see the corner of the church almost jumping distance from the edge of the road.
sasha0223

Replies: 19

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:57 pm      Post subject:

I going by some little notes that my grandfather wrote. He wrote Augusta St and St Paul Railroad frieght house was that part of the Union Stockyards?. My Gr. grandfather(Andrew Cencula) stayed and Chicago before coming to Ohio. I show a cluster of Cencula's still live in the Chicago area and I'm trying to see if there is a relation.
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:51 pm      Post subject:

sasha0223 wrote:
I going by some little notes that my grandfather wrote. He wrote Augusta St and St Paul Railroad frieght house was that part of the Union Stockyards?. My Gr. grandfather(Andrew Cencula) stayed and Chicago before coming to Ohio. I show a cluster of Cencula's still live in the Chicago area and I'm trying to see if there is a relation.

Sasha, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (CMSTP&P) passed by an area at Augusta St. As there were hundreds of freight stations in Chicago I would assume one could have been located there. I checked the 1929 city directory but the station is not listed on Augusta St but it could be anywhere near there on a side st. This area is north of the BOY. (follow Ashland St. south to 45th for BOY) This is the same area Hussar mentioned where they moved the expressway. I see the Polish Museum is very near to this area, maybe you could call them and ask about the depot. I do not know the Chicago area as well as others but I can read maps very well. I made a map showing Augusta St extended to the RR tracks as I believe it was back then before the highway came through this area. (click on map to enlarge)

Augusta RR area.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  84.58 KB
 Viewed:  10553 Time(s)

Augusta RR area.png

Send e-mail
sasha0223

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:07 pm      Post subject:

Thank you for the map. I will try and contact the Polish Museum.
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:16 pm      Post subject:

sasha0223 wrote:
Thank you for the map. I will try and contact the Polish Museum.

If you look at Ute's map posted above, the area your looking for is just on the other side of the highway from Ute's people. This will give you a better overall view of where in Chicago this place is.
Send e-mail
Hussar

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:33 am      Post subject:

The Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific is now referred to (by METRA, Commuter rail) as the Milwaukee North and the Milwaukee West lines. As far as their freight counterparts, first the SOO line acquired and then Canadian National. Their existence is far north of the Back Of The Yards neighborhood, with their only place on Chicago's south side is for the commuters at Union Station. Augusta BLVD intersects the rail lines at about where the south end of Humboldt Park begins. BOTY is a much safer neighborhood compared to this part. Just to the west of there was an auto delaership famous with hot-rodders Mr. Norm's Grand Spaulding Dodge during the Muscle Car heyday. Again, not a neighborhood you want to be in nowadays. Further up at approximately what would be Bloomingdale Avenue and Avers street is where the 2 lines split. This was convenient in the neighborhood I spent the 2nd half of my youth in for my father who worked downtown. If there was some kind of mishap on the North line and his usual walk to the Healy Station at Fullerton and Pulaski (which still exists) would detour him to walking to the west line's Hermosa Station (long gone) and still enabling him to use his monthly pass. There were 2 Schwinn Bicycle factories walking distance from the old Hermosa station and another just east of where the rail lines split. Factories closed, job seekers moved to the jobs, welfare recipients displaced those who moved, the rest is history.
sasha0223

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:27 am      Post subject:

I tried looking at the Polish Museum but doesn't look like they offer archive information over the internet. Seem that you need to order info for a fee.
Hussar

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:17 pm      Post subject:

I would suggest that you contact one of the many railroad enthusiast clubs/societies, my brother is an avid train enthusiast and publications/resources available are vast. The point of split between the CMSP&P's north and west lines occur right at the end of the old Chicago Transit Authority's Humboldt Park line which was closed in 1947, aside from talking to long-gone old timers, a large book which he had pointed all of that out. There are many surface-level rail crossings and corridors throughout Chicagoland which haven't seen any train traffic in generations. A freight house/switching station at Augusta is highly likely, the Chicago Northwestern RR tracks are not far from there and lines to divert freight traffic away from going downtown are logical. The Polish museum is a fantastic resource to bring a cup of coffee and sit down poring over their library for hours on end. I need to spend a day there in the near future.
sasha0223

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:06 pm      Post subject:

Maybe I can visit the museum one day when I up to Chicago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Polish Gorals - Highlanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next Page 2 of 9

Jump to: