PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:05 am      Post subject: Chicago Gorals in "The Back of the Yards"

I am finding a quite of few relatives who lived in the Polish Goral neighborhood named "The Back of the Yards" because of the location next to the 475 acre Union Stockyards in Chicago. If you have a connection to this neighborhood please leave a message with your memory, address, relatives name or even a photo. I have a old map of the area and I have started to pin point names to each street address. Can we recreate the old neighborhood?

union gate.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  64.9 KB
 Viewed:  27453 Time(s)

union gate.jpg

Last edited by Bill Rushin on Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Send e-mail
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:12 am      Post subject:

Jan & Karolina Budz operated the Highlander Tavern/Hotel at 4404 S. Ashland ave. circa 1900-20. (Ashland & 44th St.)

Last edited by Bill Rushin on Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Send e-mail
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:02 am      Post subject: Re: Chicago Gorals in "The Back of the Yards"

Bill Rushin wrote:
I am finding a quite of few relatives who lived in the Polish Goral neighborhood named "The Back of the Yards" because of the location next to the 475 acre Union Stockyards in Chicago. If you have a connection to this neighborhood please leave a message with your memory, address, relatives name or even a photo. I have a old map of the area and I have started to pin point names to each street address. Can we recreate the old neighborhood?

Great idea, Bill! Could you post the old map you have just to see which streets belonged to 'Back of the Yards'?
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:01 pm      Post subject:

This map show where the different ethnic groups lived in the Back of the Yards neighborhood. The Southwest Side of Chicago is also home to the largest concentration of Górals outside of Europe; it is the location of the Polish Highlanders Alliance of North America. Back of the Yards is an industrial and residential neighborhood so named because it was near the former Union Stock Yards. Life in this neighborhood, is profiled in Upton Sinclair's 1906 novel "The Jungle". The area was formerly the town of Lake until it was annexed by Chicago in 1889. The area was once an Eastern European predominantly Polish, neighborhood.

From about 1910 to the 1950's if someone claimed to be from Sacred Heart parish on south Lincoln St. (renamed Wolcott St.), you could pretty much guess that they were not only Polish American, but Polski Górale or mountaineer, and they were most certainly working class and probably worked in the stockyards. Sacred Heart parish closed in 1990, it is marked with the larger cross on the map.

Sacred Heart parish between 46th-47th on Lincoln
Holy Cross Catholic Church (1915), at Wood and 45th Sts, was the Lithuanian church
Ukrainian church (1919) at Paulina and 50th Sts
5009 S Hermitage (across 50th St a one time Catholic church) with "SS Cyril & Methodist Church
St. Joseph's Catholic Church, at Hermitage and 48th Streets, was built for the neighborhood's Polish community and remains active. Dedicated in 1914 and a restoration completed in 2000.

Back of the Yards map1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  154.25 KB
 Viewed:  27452 Time(s)

Back of the Yards map1.jpg

Send e-mail
Eric

Replies: 11

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:59 pm      Post subject:

Very neat idea Bill. I haven't nailed down a residence address for them yet, but my great uncle Jakob Gil and his bride Zofia Bafia were married at Sacred Heart Church on Feb. 14 1915. I would guess they lived in the area. The priest's name was F.J. Karabasz.

Of note too, my "Uncle Joe" Jozef Gil, who is my godfather and I think second cousin (My great uncle's son) was president of the Highlanders Association in the late 70's. He also started the Harklowa "wheel" with some other gentlemen. (I have to read their website through Google translate so I think wheel might be a loose translation.) I am going to get in touch with him to further my research.
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:15 pm      Post subject:

Eric wrote:
Very neat idea Bill. I haven't nailed down a residence address for them yet, but my great uncle Jakob Gil and his bride Zofia Bafia were married at Sacred Heart Church on Feb. 14 1915. I would guess they lived in the area. The priest's name was F.J. Karabasz.

Of note too, my "Uncle Joe" Jozef Gil, who is my godfather and I think second cousin (My great uncle's son) was president of the Highlanders Association in the late 70's. He also started the Harklowa "wheel" with some other gentlemen. (I have to read their website through Google translate so I think wheel might be a loose translation.) I am going to get in touch with him to further my research.

Thanks, I can see this helping a lot of people, just with your msg. I see the name Bafia which I am related to! BTW Bafia was the undertaker for most of the Goral in this (BOY) neighborhood, his funeral home was a few blocks past the top of this map and to the left of Ashland ave. I have the address and will get it for you.

And yes Eric ,you are referring to the Highlanders Association Member organizations (circles). Yours is #16 Harklowa and mine is circle #26 Leśnica-Groń. There is about 70 of them in total presently. *( there is 2 different lists I just noticed because Gron used to be #37 so I don't know which is current right now).

Last edited by Bill Rushin on Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Send e-mail
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:53 pm      Post subject:

Wladyslaw Kmiotek and Tekla Rusin lived at 4336 Marshfield 1922 (Rusin's are from Gron)
John Mrozek and Mary Rusin lived at 4836 Marshfield 1928
Bruno J. Budz and Lillian lived at 4405 S. Marshfield 1930
Bruno J Budz lived at 5416 Honore st. 1918
Tony Mrozek lived at 5416 Honore st. 1920

All of these folks are related to each other and me. I spoke with Tekla's daughter.

Last edited by Bill Rushin on Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Send e-mail
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:58 am      Post subject:

Bill Rushin wrote:
Wladyslaw Kmiotek and Tekla Rusin lived at 4336 Marshfield 1922 (Rusin's are from Gron)

Addresses of relatives/friends immigrants from the village of Dlugopole in the district of Nowy Targ indicated they were going to join in Chicago when they came to the US between 1900 - 1910. I’m not sure which of these streets belonged to ‘Back of the Yards’ but it gives us an impression of where our Gorale ancestors settled in Chicago :
Janina Banasz, Chicago, 1947, 19th St.
A. Bilek, Chicago, Richmond St.
Jozef Banasz, Joliet, IL, 605, Elmer St. [?]
Andrzej Bobek, 1947, 19th St., Chicago
Josef Bochula, Chicago, 18th St.
Franz Bochula, Chicago, 19th St.
Andrzej Kieta, Chicago, 19th St. (?)
Franz Obrochta, Chicago, Iowa St.
Jozef Bryjak, Chicago, 17th St.
Jan Bryjak, Chicago, S. Wood St.
Ignacy Dybala, Chicago, Wood St.
W. Bilek, Chicago, Fay St.
Jendry Kieta, Chicago, 18th St.
Jan Bryjak, Chicago, Huron St.
Jakob Bryjak, Chicago, 18th Pl.
Jedrzej Stopka, Chicago, Ontario Street
Jozef Zubek, Chicago, Huron St.
Dybala, Chicago, 18th St.
Anton(i) Bilek, Chicago, Laflin St.
Tomasz Sander, Chicago, Erie St.
Tomasz (?) Sander, Chicago, Ohio St.
Jan Bryjak, Chicago, Kornelia St.
Jan Klikoszowski, Chicago, 18th St.
Jozef Fudala, Chicago, W. 18th St.
Jakob Bujan?, Chicago, 18th Pl.
Josef Kowalkowski, Chicago, 17th St.
Franciszek Gusz, Chicago, Justine(a)? St.
Marya Kukulska, Chicago, Marsville Ave. [Marshfield Ave?]
Marianna Kieta (?), Chicago, Sangamon St.
Jozef Kowalkowski, Chicago, 17th St.
Jakob Bujan?, Chicago, 18th Pl/St.
Jozefa Kowalkowski, Chicago, 16th St.
Jan Komperda, Chicago, 16th St.
Bronislawa Karwaczka, Chicago, W. Erie St.
Jozef Kokomiec, Chicago, Will St.
Anton Bilek, Chicago, Laflin St.
K. Kowalkowski, Chicago, W. 17th St.
Jozef Kowalkowsky, Chicago, Augusta St.
Andrzej Kieta, Chicago, 679, 19th St.
Andrzej Klikuszowski, Chicago, W. 19th St.
Jendrzej Stopka, Chicago, Ontario St.
Julianna Kowalkowska, Chicago, Marshfield Ave.
Jedrzej Stopka, Chicago, Ontario Street
Michal Bilek, Chicago, Laflin St.
Jedrzej Kowalkowski, Chicago, 19th St.
Maciej Kowalkowski, Chicago, Marshfield Ave.
Jozef Kowalkowski, Chicago, Iowa St.
Jendrzej Kieta, Chicago, 17th St.
Jacob Guc, Chicago, Ashland Ave.
Jakob Bujan?, Chicago, 18th Pl. [18th St.?]
Jedrzej Kowalkowski, Chicago, 17th St.
Antonina Bilek, Chicago, 17th St.
Michal Bilek, Chicago, Marshfield Ave.
Ignacy Kita, Chicago, 18th St.
Antonina Bilek, Chicago, 17th St.
Maria Kwak, Chicago, Sangamon St.
Karolina Landowska, Grand Pacific Hotel, Chicago, Clark St.
Jozef Landowski, Chicago, 17th St.
Anna Kowalszyk, Chicago, 4254, Ashland Ave
Jozef Landwowski, Chicago, 17th St.
Andrzej Kieta, Chicago, 19th St.
Jozef Brzeznik, Chicago, 16th St.
Franciszek Mierva, Chicago, Honore St.
Jakob Bienas (?), Chicago, 18th St.
Antoni Gus, Chicago, Laflin St.
Jozef Mierwa, Chicago, Marshfield Ave.
Stanislaus Nekaza, Chicago, Marshfield Ave.
Stanislaw Nykasa, Chicago, Paulina St.
Josef Obrochta, Chicago, Iowa St.
Andrzej Bryjak, Chicago, Ashland Ave.
Jozef Kowalkowski, Chicago, Iowa St.
Jan Pylarsz, Chicago, Wood St.
Pjotr Bryjak, Chicago, 18th St.
Jozef Roll, Chicago, Erie St.
Magda Labuda, Chicago, 18th St.
Jakob Biernasz, Chicago, 18th St.
Szczepan Figura, Chicago, W. 17th St.
Anna Sonder or Sander, Chicago, Morgan St.
Maria Sonder or Sander, Chicago, Milwaukee St.
Katarzyna Sauder or Sander, Chicago, Superior St.
Tomasz Ladem [?], Chicago, Huron St.
Jendrzej Stopka, Chicago, Ontario St.
Francziszek Truty, Chicago, Sangamon St.
Julia Kukulska, Chicago, Grand Pacific Hotel, Clark St.
Jozef Truty, Chicago, Front St.
Jozef Truty, Chicago, Wood St.
Jozef Wesoty, Chicago, 1832, 18th St.
Jan Wilczek, Chicago, Wood St.
Jan Wilczek, Chicago, Ashland Ave.
[Nat.] Kowalkowsky, Chicago, Front St.

Last edited by Ute on Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:59 am      Post subject:

Quote:

I posted a list of residents of 4337, 4335, 4333, Marshfield Ave., Chicago, Ward 29, when the 1910 Census was taken on April 29, 1910 (see my post of Thu Mar 22, 2012).

Last edited by Ute on Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:13 am; edited 3 times in total
Eric

Replies: 11

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:46 pm      Post subject:

Bill Rushin wrote:

Thanks, I can see this helping a lot of people, just with your msg. I see the name Bafia which I am related to! BTW Bafia was the undertaker for most of the Goral in this (BOY) neighborhood, his funeral home was a few blocks past the top of this map and to the left of Ashland ave. I have the address and will get it for you.

And yes Eric ,you are referring to the Highlanders Association Member organizations (circles). Yours is #16 Harklowa and mine is circle #26 Leśnica-Groń. There is about 70 of them in total presently. *( there is 2 different lists I just noticed because Gron used to be #37 so I don't know which is current right now).

I'm not 100 percent sure, but using the Ellis Island records and the age on their marriage certificate, I think the Zofia Bafia that married my G. Uncle was from Gron.
I thought I had found them both in a census record, (listed as Jacob Gill and Sofia Bafia) from 1920, but it was not them. Their children did not match anyone in our family, quite a coincidence though!
jmajer1115

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:25 pm      Post subject:

an article from Chicago Tribune about the closing of Sacred Heart in 1990:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1990-01-29/features/9001080723_1_parish-sacred-heart-closings

as you can see, this church had quite an impact on the Back of the Yards neighborhood.
Louise Walczak

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:41 am      Post subject: Back of the Yards Gorale

My grandfather Karol Szarlej was born in Skawica, Galicia (now in Powiat Sucha Beskidza). My grandmother Ludwika Lurka was born in Zarnowka--also in current Sucha Beskidza. They separately emigrated to Chicago where they met and married at Sacred Heart Church in 1913. Karol worked at Swift and Co for many years and eventually held a supervisory job there. They lived at the following addresses:
--4518 S. Laflin from 1916-1918 and at 4841 S. Justine through 1924.
After Ludwika died Charles (Karol) remarried and the family lived at 4930 S. Laflin and 4441 S. Fairfield. Sometime after 1930, they left Back of the Yards for Archer Heights.
I lived in Chicago until I left for college but had no idea that my grandparents lived anywhere else but Archer Heights. I've pieced these FACTS about their homes through genealogical research and will definitely visit these addresses on my next trip to Chicago to see if some of the spirt of the old days remains. I will be traveling to Poland this year and will definitely pay a visit to the Mountaineers!
I'm looking forward to learning more about the Gorale.
Louise
Cheri Vanden Berg
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:35 pm      Post subject: Cook County, Illinois

I'd rather see pictures of what our ancestors homes looked like while they lived in them, but we can get a peek at what the outside of the house looks like more recently, at this site of the Cook County Illinois assessor:

http://cookcountyassessor.com/Property_Search/Property_Search.aspx

If you know an address, you can click on Search by address, and fill in the blanks. I've used this in the past, and I did try the Justine and Laflin addresses, and pictures did come up. I think I've run across an empty lot before, and I imagine there are cases where the original home was torn down and replaced, but you might get lucky...
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:30 pm      Post subject:

There are many books written about the Back of the Yards if your interested. This link will take you to one recommended book and there is 8 more related books at the bottom of the page.

http://books.google.com/books/about/Back_of_the_Yards.html?id=5zPglDeECd4C

Last edited by Bill Rushin on Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Send e-mail
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:03 am      Post subject:

Chicago's Union Stockyards closed 40 years ago, after handling more than a billion animals. On Chicago Tonight they have some never-before-seen footage and interviews with workers on the last day.

Mark Mamalakis grew up in the South Shore neighborhood of Chicago, fascinated by the juxtaposition of an urban cityscape and the Chicago stockyards. While a student at Columbia College, Mamalakis picked up an Arriflex M 16mm camera to shoot a documentary about the closure of the stockyards featured in Upton Sinclair’s book The Jungle.

2011 marks the 40th anniversary of the stockyard’s closure, and Mamalakis hopes to soon complete the documentary.

A 5 minute clip can be seen here. http://chicagotonight.wttw.com/comment/3835
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Polish Gorals - Highlanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next Page 1 of 9

Jump to: