PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 72

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:18 pm      Post subject: Names Kuranka and Pankowski

Recently found the marriage record of my gg parents via the Poznan Project site. I knew the Pankowski/Pankoski name, but had never seen a reference to my gg mother's surname - Kuranka. This doesn't sound Polish to me. Any ideas???
Send e-mail
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:06 am      Post subject:

Hi gdeborski,

Maybe the name is Kuranska and her father's surname might be Kuranski.

Anyone else on here on the forum have some thoughts?

If their marriage record shows on the Poznan project site, then you may be able to see the image on microfilm. Did the search results on the Poznan project site include any information on where the record was?
gdeborski

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:43 am      Post subject:

Hi Shellie,

I'm pretty sure that it is Kuranka. I have several obits from that side of the family which list Kouranko, Kuranko, etc., but there has never been any records to narrow it down until this one.

From discussion on another forum:
KURANKA: possibly derived from kuran (old form of kurhan or grave mound) or from kur (cock); no Kuranka currently in Poland but there is a Kurankiewicz (Kuranka's son).

I haven't got to the microfilm yet, it's on my to do list. The Poznan site lists the place of marriage as Grylewo. This lines up with the obits which listed place of birth/origin as Vongrovitz = Wagrowiec.

This is a great forum. Lot's of help and great discussions. Now that I've tracked down some possible places in Poland, we're thinking about planning a trip there.

Best regards,
Gary D.
Send e-mail
jozefs
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 173

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:07 pm      Post subject:

Kuranka - should be Koronka ???
Look here - http://www.moikrewni.pl/mapa/kompletny/koronka.html

gdeborski

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:15 pm      Post subject:

Jozef,

Very interesting. The map shows a fairly high concentration around Wagrowiec. I think I'll have to keep Koronka as something to watch for.

Thank you,

Gary D.
Send e-mail
Hussar

Replies: 35

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:17 pm      Post subject:

Gary, just a minor note. The "iewicz" which is used in all Savic languages as "jevic", "evitch", etc. traditionally meant "Heir to" or "Heir of" as in Tsarevich. It was not uncommon for a noble to have more than one son but bestowing the iewicz on just one, usually the eldest or most militarily adept.
gdeborski

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:03 pm      Post subject:

A quick update on this surname.

I have been looking through several microfilms available through the LDS Church Family History Center. I now have found not only me great grandmother's record of birth, but also the same for several of her siblings. They all listed Stephanus Kuranka as the father. I also seem to have found one or more of the father's siblings. They all resided in the village of Rybowo and the records are the the parish of Grylewo.
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: