PolishOrigins Forum

 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
Message
WalterTevis



Joined: 28 Sep 2019
Replies: 11

Back to top
Post Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:24 pm      Post subject: Help locating a town in Poland (or maybe Russia)
Reply with quote

Hi folks. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide us.

My grandfather came to the U.S. in the early 1900's. He spoke Polish and said he was from Poland. But when we dug up his immigration paperwork, we found he listed his birthplace as being in Russia. The city he listed is not written very clearly on his immigration papers. It starts with the letters "Piskor..." but after that the spelling is not clear (see attached photo).

Our family is very interested in finding out where his birthplace really was. If you have any clue what city or area this may be, please let me know.

Thanks, folks, for you help! Smile



russia.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  105.06 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

russia.jpg


View user's profile
Send private message
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor


Joined: 28 Jun 2014
Replies: 2080
Location: Poland

Back to top
Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:35 am      Post subject: Re: Help locating a town in Poland (or maybe Russia)
Reply with quote

WalterTevis wrote:
Hi folks. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide us.

My grandfather came to the U.S. in the early 1900's. He spoke Polish and said he was from Poland. But when we dug up his immigration paperwork, we found he listed his birthplace as being in Russia. The city he listed is not written very clearly on his immigration papers. It starts with the letters "Piskor..." but after that the spelling is not clear (see attached photo).

Our family is very interested in finding out where his birthplace really was. If you have any clue what city or area this may be, please let me know.

Thanks, folks, for you help! Smile


what was You grandfather name?

_________________
please remember that my translations are volunteering so whenever you want to send money remember that this is a gift, not a payment.
PAYPAL: [email protected]
View user's profile
Send private message
WalterTevis



Joined: 28 Sep 2019
Replies: 11

Back to top
Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:01 am      Post subject: name
Reply with quote

On his immigration papers, it was "Jozef Tomas Smogorzewski".
View user's profile
Send private message
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor


Joined: 28 Jun 2014
Replies: 2080
Location: Poland

Back to top
Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:33 am      Post subject: Re: name
Reply with quote

WalterTevis wrote:
On his immigration papers, it was "Jozef Tomas Smogorzewski".


village Piskornica belonged to Skaryszew romancatholic parish in Poland but i cant find Smogorzewski baptism record in 1891 files.
Maybe the village name was Piskornia: there were few Piskonia villages. One belonged to Pokrzywnica romancatholic parih: i did not find 1891 baptism record for Smogorzewski but i see that this surname appeared in this parish.
there is also village Piskornia in Żytniów parish.

Do You know You grandfather's parents names?

_________________
please remember that my translations are volunteering so whenever you want to send money remember that this is a gift, not a payment.
PAYPAL: [email protected]
View user's profile
Send private message
Tina Ellis



Joined: 02 Nov 2008
Replies: 66

Back to top
Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:31 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

Hello Marcel,

I don't know if you checked other years for that parish, but many times I have found people sometimes did not know their birthday. They could have been off a few years. Sometimes the parents did not baptize them right away. I know one of my cousin's had a wife, and I found hers recorded fives years later. I wondered why and learned there was a war happening when she was born.

I found a couple more place possibilities for you. Check this page http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_VIII/229. There are three parishes named for four villages with the same name on as part of its name.

I haven't checked this site. You may something there: http://www.geneteka.genealodzy.pl/?lang=eng.

Hope this helps you.

Tina Ellis
[email protected]
View user's profile
Send private message
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517
PolishOrigins Patron


Joined: 27 May 2012
Replies: 597

Back to top
Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:15 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

Hello,

His naturalization papers indicate he arrived in 1902. I found his passenger list see arrached. He was only 9 years old and came over with his whole family! Their destination in the USA was Scranton, PA.

Now that we have the names of his parents and siblings, we can see them all in Geneteka. Here is the link

http://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=pol&bdm=B&w=07mz&rid=B&search_lastname=Smugorzewski&search_name=Jan&search_lastname2=Przybysz&search_name2=Waleria%20&from_date=&to_date=&rpp1=&ordertable=

Their records are scanned - just click on the end of the line entries on “Skan”.

The village is actually Pokrzywnica. I will attach images of the records later.

Best,
Cynthia



4DE76053-B9D0-45CD-83F8-E1197D1058A4.jpeg
 Description:
1902 passenger list for Smogorzewski
 Filesize:  854.95 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

4DE76053-B9D0-45CD-83F8-E1197D1058A4.jpeg


View user's profile
Send private message
Send e-mail
WalterTevis



Joined: 28 Sep 2019
Replies: 11

Back to top
Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:39 pm      Post subject: Re: name
Reply with quote

marcelproust wrote:
WalterTevis wrote:
On his immigration papers, it was "Jozef Tomas Smogorzewski".


village Piskornica belonged to Skaryszew romancatholic parish in Poland but i cant find Smogorzewski baptism record in 1891 files.
Maybe the village name was Piskornia: there were few Piskonia villages. One belonged to Pokrzywnica romancatholic parih: i did not find 1891 baptism record for Smogorzewski but i see that this surname appeared in this parish.
there is also village Piskornia in Żytniów parish.

Do You know You grandfather's parents names?
View user's profile
Send private message
mcdonald0517
PolishOrigins Patron


Joined: 27 May 2012
Replies: 597

Back to top
Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:40 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

Attached is 1889 birth record for Jozef Smogorszewski. It is act #69 on the page. Post it in the Russian translation forum for translation.


3AD1FEC8-B758-46DC-AD3E-3EB840F46DF9.jpeg
 Description:
1889 birth Jozef Smogorszewski
 Filesize:  1.35 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

3AD1FEC8-B758-46DC-AD3E-3EB840F46DF9.jpeg


View user's profile
Send private message
Send e-mail
WalterTevis



Joined: 28 Sep 2019
Replies: 11

Back to top
Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:48 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hello,

His naturalization papers indicate he arrived in 1902. I found his passenger list see arrached. He was only 9 years old and came over with his whole family! Their destination in the USA was Scranton, PA.

Now that we have the names of his parents and siblings, we can see them all in Geneteka. Here is the link

http://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=pol&bdm=B&w=07mz&rid=B&search_lastname=Smugorzewski&search_name=Jan&search_lastname2=Przybysz&search_name2=Waleria%20&from_date=&to_date=&rpp1=&ordertable=

Their records are scanned - just click on the end of the line entries on “Skan”.

The village is actually Pokrzywnica. I will attach images of the records later.

Best,
Cynthia
View user's profile
Send private message
mcdonald0517
PolishOrigins Patron


Joined: 27 May 2012
Replies: 597

Back to top
Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:49 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

Marriage record of Jan Smogorszewski and Waleria Przybysz. It is act #2 on the page.

http://metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=6&zs=0078d&sy=1885&kt=2&plik=02-03.jpg#zoom=1&x=443&y=176
View user's profile
Send private message
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517
PolishOrigins Patron


Joined: 27 May 2012
Replies: 597

Back to top
Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:02 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

Birth of his siblings

1886 Jan Bronislaw it is act #1 on the page


http://metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=6&zs=0078d&sy=1886&kt=1&plik=01-02.jpg#zoom=1&x=2382&y=774


1887 Zofia is act #8


http://metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=6&zs=0085d&sy=1887&kt=1&plik=007-010.jpg#zoom=1&x=290&y=721


1892 Wladyslaw is act #44 on the page

http://metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=6&zs=0078d&sy=1892&kt=1&plik=43-46.jpg#zoom=1&x=536&y=1571


1886 death of Jan Bronislaw is act #8 on the page

http://metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=6&zs=0078d&sy=1892&kt=1&plik=43-46.jpg#zoom=1&x=536&y=1571
View user's profile
Send private message
Send e-mail
WalterTevis



Joined: 28 Sep 2019
Replies: 11

Back to top
Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:48 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Attached is 1889 birth record for Jozef Smogorszewski. It is act #69 on the page. Post it in the Russian translation forum for translation.
View user's profile
Send private message
WalterTevis



Joined: 28 Sep 2019
Replies: 11

Back to top
Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:15 am      Post subject:
Reply with quote

Thank you sooooo much, Cynthia! This information is absolutely incredible! My family sends its most sincere thanks as well!!
View user's profile
Send private message
mcdonald0517
PolishOrigins Patron


Joined: 27 May 2012
Replies: 597

Back to top
Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:08 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

Hello Walter,

You are very welcome. I am happy that I could help.

Not only do you have information on your grandfather Jozef Tomasz, you also have the next generation of your great grandparents: Jan Smogorszewski and Waleria Przybysz. You also have the generation of your 2nd great grandparents: Tomasz Smogorszewski and Jadwiga Pielach.

Although your great grandparents (Jan and Waleria) came to the USA in 1902 with their entire family, Jan's siblings may have remained in Poland - in which case, you may be able to locate living relatives in Poland. When looking at the Geneteka database, I found 3 siblings of Jan with records in the village of Pokrzywnica - Stanislaw, Marianna, and Jozef. If you post these for translation in the Russian Records forum, you will get more information about their ages, dates of birth, and village of birth (which may not have been Pokrzywnica):

Stanislaw Smogorszewski married Jozefa Bartcak (nee Kosek; she was a widow) in 1907. It is act #6 on the page:

http://metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=6&zs=0078d&sy=1907&kt=2&plik=06-07.jpg#zoom=1&x=880&y=945

Marianna Czarnecka (nee Smogorszewski; she was a widow at the time) married Józef Gołąb in 1905. It is act # 1 on the page.

http://metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=6&zs=0078d&sy=1905&kt=2&plik=01-02.jpg#zoom=1&x=0&y=0


Jozef Smogorszewski died in 1906. It is act # 27 on the page.

http://metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=6&zs=0078d&sy=1906&kt=3&plik=27-30.jpg#zoom=1&x=1115&y=708

Wishing you an exciting adventure as you continue your search for your Polish connections. Maybe you will even hire Polish Origins to visit your ancestral home and possibly locate and meet your Polish relatives! We did that last year and had an incredible experience.

All the best,
Cynthia
View user's profile
Send private message
Send e-mail
WalterTevis



Joined: 28 Sep 2019
Replies: 11

Back to top
Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:51 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

Hi Cynthia!

Thank you so much for this additional information! It is so exciting that we may have relatives living in Poland! Smile And yes, maybe we need to find a way to fly over there and find out!!

You mentioned the Russia records translation forum. I did not know about this! Thank you for alerting me to this feature of this website! I will get everything organized and post to there right away. This website is amazing. I am sure it has brought many people together and has made the world a much smaller and closer place! Smile

Thank you again Cynthia!!
View user's profile
Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB ©

© 2020 COPYRIGHTS BY THE OWNER OF POLISHORIGINS.COM