PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 20

Post Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:53 pm      Post subject: Trying to find Barlow real surname

Hello everyone! I am trying to find my great great Grandfather’s Surname . His name was Anthony Barlow. He was born in 1865-1868 Poland and arrived in the USA in 1890-1891. To put in bluntly my father became very estranged from his family (he passed away in 2005), and my brother and are the only ones left in the family. Anthony Barlow made a life for himself in Bayonne New Jersey which used to be super populated Polish community (also where my father grew up) where most of all my Polish relatives grew up. It was suggested to me from a distant relative that he name Barlow could be Barzydlo, but I cannot find any correlation with the time for a Barzydlo and Anthony Barlow. I have been searching and cross referencing names and document searches for 2 weeks now filling up my family tree on ancestry .com but cannot find his actual Polish Surname. I have gone through ship registered passengers, etc., I am exhausted. He literally doesn’t seem to pop up on the radar until 1900 in a census in Bayonne,NJ with his wife Johanna(also Juana) and kids. I have had a quote from a genealogist explaining my very detailed and long winded story of my family of all the info and they are confident they can find the name and few generations back into Poland for $3,750.00USD....!!! I certainly DO NOT want to pay that!!! Any help from any of you, pointing me in the right direction or suggestions would be EXTREMELY appreciated!! No matter how many marriage and birth records websites I search through, I cannot tie an Antonius Barlow(with any number of Polish Derivatives) and a Johanna Czechowski her maiden name according to 1939 Bayonne New Jersey newspaper. I have called their church, and even with children's baptisms they signed Barlow. They were way too committed to this name change! On Anthony's tombstone it is listed at Anthony Balo, as well as the 1928 newspaper listing of his death.
Visit poster's website
Cheri Vanden Berg
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:53 pm      Post subject:

Hi Jan,
Do you know if Anthony had any siblings or other family members that also immigrated to NJ?

I didn't find the family in 1900, I only saw them in 1910 and 1920. I see that in 1920 he has a cousin Veronica Barlow living with him. Do you anything about her? IF the census taker got it right, it's interesting that she would have the same last name as Anthony (I mean the same changed last name).

I see in the 1910 census that Anthony and Johanna were from the Russian partition of Poland. I also saw that there was a Charles Barlow in Bayonne who was also from the Russian partition of Poland. On Charles WWI draft registration it said he was born in Russia, and in his WWII draft registration, it was more specific and it said that he was born in Suwalki Poland. Suwalki is a city, but it's also a region, and sometimes people did say they were from a bigger city near their village. Anyway, Suwalki would have been in the Russian partition until after WWI.

From what I can see, and of course you know, Barlow is not a Polish surname. I saw in one of the census years it had Balow for Anthony's surname, but I don't believe that is a Polish surname either, but I did think it was interesting that Balo is on Anthony's gravestone. I didn't note if he could read or write in the census, but often people that didn't just went by the sound of their name. I noticed that Charles Barlow signed his WWI card with his mark (an x). Of course at this point we don't know if Charles is related to Anthony, but I thought it was interesting that two Polish men with the same non Polish surname ended up in the same place.

As far as other siblings go, what I have done is searched for people going to my grandfather's in the U.S. That is hard in the early years that your great grandfather was here though, unless a sibling or other relative came a bit later than he did. Advice that is always given is that you need to throw the net as far and wide as you can. If you can't find anything about your great grandfather, than see who else you can find nearby. Look through the census pages before and after his to see if you might find anyone related to him or your great grandmother. Do you know where she is from?

Do you know if Anthony became a citizen, because there could be information on his Naturalization papers, including the name he immigrated with, and the ship he came one. I believe I saw that Charles Barlow became a citizen.
Tina Ellis

Replies: 74

Post Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:30 am      Post subject:

At this site: http://www.herby.com.pl/indexslo.html is a surname study that was published in 1990. It represents surnames being used in 1990 and some surnames, which were no longer used.

Type in Barlo*. This will pull up every name beginning with those letters. The first three names appear as no longer being used: Barloch, Barolochowska and Barlol. After that comes Barlow, of which there were two in the Warszawskie province. A Barlowski was in Bialystockie area. This is located south of the Suwalskie province mentioned in Cheri's letter.

Did he become a citizen?

Tina Ellis
Send e-mail
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1028

Post Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:13 am      Post subject: Re: Trying to find Barlow real surname

Jan_Barlow wrote:
Hello everyone! I am trying to find my great great Grandfather’s Surname . His name was Anthony Barlow. He was born in 1865-1868 Poland and arrived in the USA in 1890-1891. To put in bluntly my father became very estranged from his family (he passed away in 2005), and my brother and are the only ones left in the family. Anthony Barlow made a life for himself in Bayonne New Jersey which used to be super populated Polish community (also where my father grew up) where most of all my Polish relatives grew up. It was suggested to me from a distant relative that he name Barlow could be Barzydlo, but I cannot find any correlation with the time for a Barzydlo and Anthony Barlow. I have been searching and cross referencing names and document searches for 2 weeks now filling up my family tree on ancestry .com but cannot find his actual Polish Surname. I have gone through ship registered passengers, etc., I am exhausted. He literally doesn’t seem to pop up on the radar until 1900 in a census in Bayonne,NJ with his wife Johanna(also Juana) and kids. I have had a quote from a genealogist explaining my very detailed and long winded story of my family of all the info and they are confident they can find the name and few generations back into Poland for $3,750.00USD....!!! I certainly DO NOT want to pay that!!! Any help from any of you, pointing me in the right direction or suggestions would be EXTREMELY appreciated!! No matter how many marriage and birth records websites I search through, I cannot tie an Antonius Barlow(with any number of Polish Derivatives) and a Johanna Czechowski her maiden name according to 1939 Bayonne New Jersey newspaper. I have called their church, and even with children's baptisms they signed Barlow. They were way too committed to this name change! On Anthony's tombstone it is listed at Anthony Balo, as well as the 1928 newspaper listing of his death.

Hi Jan,
Just to add to the great advice already posted here by Cheri and Tina...
There is a New Jersey database of legal name changes:
https://wwwnet-dos.state.nj.us/DOS_ArchivesDBPortal/NameChanges.aspx
If you put in the name Barlow, you will see a group of people whose original name was Boslavsky, who changed to Barlow in the 1940s. While none of their first names seem to match with any of yours, maybe you recognize them as relatives who came later. If you search on the name Balogh (that is similar to your Balo), you will find one whose original name was Barlow. The other thing I want you to notice there is that sometimes the original surname and the newly chosen name show very little resemblance to each other. For example, if you put in the name Zajaczkowski you will see that some people with that name changed it to Sandusky, others to Robinson, and one to Zak! Play around with names, and see what you can find.
I looked at the 1900 census, and it appears that Antoni (Tony, on this document) and his wife had a child in Poland, named Bertha. This opens up a whole new search strategy for you. I would recommend looking for the immigration of a child Bertha, born 1889 (give or take a year) immigrating in 1890 (give or take a year) and leave the surname blank. Then pull up each result and see if she is travelling with parents Antoni and Johanna (or possibly just with her mother, if Antoni went ahead of them as fathers sometimes did). It may be a tedious way to search, but why not try?
Best of luck in your search,
Sophia
Jan_Barlow

Post Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:32 am      Post subject:

Thanks so much to everyone for your suggestions! Ironically last night I typed in Jadwiga in a search to see if she was traveling with either Antoni of Johanna--since Jadwiga seems to have been her original name. Throughout each census her name was derived, and eventually ending as Hattie. I am going to go through everyone's suggestions and continue this search!
Thanks again!

Visit poster's website
mcdonald0517

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:38 am      Post subject:

FYI, the 1920 census indicates he filed papers for citizenship. So that is another route to investigate.

Cynthia
Send e-mail
Cheri Vanden Berg

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:22 pm      Post subject:

I have now seen the family in 1900,1910, 1915, and 1920. In 1910 Anthony's name is indexed as Anthouso Balow. In that census Boleslaus is listed as the oldest child, age 21. I believe this is Bertha from the 1900 born Aug 1889 where she is listed as a daughter, but in 1910 listed as a son. It's hard to say which enumerator got it correct, but obviously Bertha is a female name, and in 1910 the enumerator could have written her real name incorrectly.

Jadwiga (Hattie or Hedwich) was born in NJ, so she would not be the one on a ship manifest. I didn't want you to waste your time searching for that name on a manifest. I am however curious about why Joanna's name appears to be spelled Ugandla in the 1900 census, though Stanley and Jadwiga's names are also messed up, so perhaps the enumerator just didn't understand.

I also noticed in the 1910 census information (if it is correct) that Johanna had given birth to 11 children, and 6 were still living. Clearly Otto, born in 1900 must have died, and there must have been others between the census years, or maybe even before they immigrated. Have you seen the family in the 1905 NJ state census? I didn't find them, but they must be there, and perhaps there are other unknown children that were alive that year.

In 1910 the family also has a Johann Levendostky living with them. He is listed as a boarder, but sometimes family members were listed that way. In fact, in 1920, though Veronica was identified as a cousin, there is a William Barlow listed as a boarder. I wonder if that could be Veronica's son. Also there are two other boarders lving with the family, so keep in mind that they could possibly be related, and it might be worthwhile to see what you could find out about them. Good Luck!
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 304

Post Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:58 pm      Post subject:

HI!
I have found 1905 census of Toney Barlo family. There is Bolesław (Boleswof Barlo) That might be Bertha from 1900 census, and there is Ludwicka that might be Hattie.
Tony have arrived about 1890 and Joanna about 1892
Jan Lewandowski Was living in one house with the family more than 15 years.
I could not find 1910 census and cant say more. I wish there would be birth place written on Tony or Joanne death records
Jan_Barlow

Post Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:40 pm      Post subject:

Does anyone think that if I request the birth records for the state of New Jersey that there would be a likelihood of the actual Polish surname on the record? I have found that for a fee I can have them (hopefully) dig up a record of the children. I guess I would have them look for the first child. At this point, this seems my only logical hope.
Today I have done FAR TOO MUCH combing through databases endlessly. Many names have popped up with a possible Antoni in 1965-1968 but hardly a single Johanna .
This is the website I went through. Maybe with some help you guys can tell me the likelihood that they would have even been listed in this database because of the location. I know up until 1918 they were considered Russian because of the split states.
http://www.szpejankowski.eu/index.php/metryki-wykazy-osob/102.html
the ONLY pairing of names I came across in terms of a marriage was 1887 (according the the 1910 census they state they had been married for 22 years --1888) Antoni Bozowski and Johanna Wojciechowska
These names for me do not seem to quite fit. Johanna's maiden name is (atleast according to the 1939 newspaper of her death) Czechowski. So I am not sure if Wojciechowska is another spelling?? Also Bozowski just seems a stretch since Anthony could not read or write, I am hesitant to think he suddenly came up with Balo to start calling himself. I just since don't see the connection.
What do you guys think?? And has anyone had luck before ordering birth records from a hundred years ago with the original Polish Surname if it was changed(Americanized)?
Thanks everyone!

Visit poster's website
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:50 am      Post subject:

Jan_Barlow wrote:
Does anyone think that if I request the birth records for the state of New Jersey that there would be a likelihood of the actual Polish surname on the record? I have found that for a fee I can have them (hopefully) dig up a record of the children. I guess I would have them look for the first child. At this point, this seems my only logical hope.
Today I have done FAR TOO MUCH combing through databases endlessly. Many names have popped up with a possible Antoni in 1965-1968 but hardly a single Johanna .
This is the website I went through. Maybe with some help you guys can tell me the likelihood that they would have even been listed in this database because of the location. I know up until 1918 they were considered Russian because of the split states.
http://www.szpejankowski.eu/index.php/metryki-wykazy-osob/102.html
the ONLY pairing of names I came across in terms of a marriage was 1887 (according the the 1910 census they state they had been married for 22 years --1888) Antoni Bozowski and Johanna Wojciechowska
These names for me do not seem to quite fit. Johanna's maiden name is (atleast according to the 1939 newspaper of her death) Czechowski. So I am not sure if Wojciechowska is another spelling?? Also Bozowski just seems a stretch since Anthony could not read or write, I am hesitant to think he suddenly came up with Balo to start calling himself. I just since don't see the connection.
What do you guys think?? And has anyone had luck before ordering birth records from a hundred years ago with the original Polish Surname if it was changed(Americanized)?
Thanks everyone!

Hi again Jan,
On Familysearch.org I see info about two of the children's birth records. The first is for "Adolph Ballo," born 13 January 1900, parents "Antone Ballo" (33 years old, from Russia) and "Juhana Chicovska" (32 years old, from Russia). Somewhat phonetic spelling, of course, for Antoni and for Joanna Czechowska (or maybe Cichowska?). This reminds me to suggest to you that you use "Joanna" as a spelling, not just "Johanna" when you are searching. The second is for "Joseph Balla" born in 1902, parents "Antony" and "Johanna."
To answer your question, while it is good to get copies of birth certificates, I do not see them as a route to finding a previously used surname. I think that whatever surname the family was using at the time is the surname that will be on the certificate, and if you do not know what the surname was at a particular time, I do not know how you will ask for the certificate.
Keep at it! We're all rooting for you.
Sophia
Jan_Barlow

Post Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:04 am      Post subject:

Thanks very much! This is a very tough nut to crack!!
Visit poster's website
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:35 am      Post subject:

This is good news!

Ship manifest for the S.S. Palatia, arriving in New York in 1898.
Frantisek Balo, 18, going to his brother Antoni in Bayonne. Can anyone decipher his hometown? "Skazduba" but what is it really?

Sophia

record-image_undefined(15).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.32 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

record-image_undefined(15).jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:37 am      Post subject:

Another manifest, available on Family Search, indexed as "Anton Bato" line 374, arrival year 1890, steamship Ems, 23 years old, from Russia.

Added: I am taking his name to be Anton Bało, read by the indexer as Bato. - Sophia

record-image_undefined(16).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.79 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

record-image_undefined(16).jpg

Jan_Barlow

Post Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:34 am      Post subject:

WOW! Thanks! I don't know how you could make all that out from these searches. I never came across a Balo in searching these, and had begun to think it was a lost cause. I still have never come across a Joanna or Johanna Balo, or even a form of Czechowski attached with Johanna. I had come across many Anton's from Poland (that I have written down)but with no name really remotely to a 'Balo', so it was like shooting snakes in a barrel in trying to narrow it down from that!
Thanks so much! Now if I can just find out or make out that town his brother is from, somehow hopefully I can get a lead on a Parish
I still feel like maybe I need to find Johanna's Parish and/or town needs to be found as well? Because at the least I need to tie them together with a marriage and they may have been married in her parish. Unless of course they were married in the same parish as Antoni and are all from the same town. I am not sure of the likelihood of all this? You guys would know better than me!
Thanks again!!!
Jan

Visit poster's website
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2783

Post Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:40 am      Post subject:

Sophia wrote:
This is good news!

Ship manifest for the S.S. Palatia, arriving in New York in 1898.
Frantisek Balo, 18, going to his brother Antoni in Bayonne. Can anyone decipher his hometown? "Skazduba" but what is it really?

Sophia

Hi Sophia & Jan,

The village for Franciszek is Skazdub. There are two villages with that name—Stary Skazdub & Nowy Skazdub. Both are currently in województwo podlaskie, powiat sulwaski, gmina bakałarzewo. The probable reason that it appears as Skazduba on the manifest is that if someone were asked “Where are you from?” the response would be "z Skazduba". The preposition z (from) in this instance governs the Genitive Case and a is the Genitive Singular ending following a hard consonant.

This is progress indeed. Now it is a question of determining that this Antoni & Franciszek are actually your family members.

Wishing you success,

Dave

P.S. The Roman Catholic parish for both villages is Bakałarzewo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next Page 1 of 4

Jump to: