PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 20

Post Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:03 am      Post subject:

Awesome! Now it is a matter of seeing if I can find the names in a parish!
Thanks so much!
Jan

Visit poster's website
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:34 am      Post subject:

Bingo!

Thanks, Dave, for the name of the parish!
Jan, here's the wedding record for Antoni and Joanna. Marriage # 43 in 1887. Text is in Russian.

Sophia

145.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.26 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

145.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:43 am      Post subject:

And here is the birth record for Antoni and Joanna's son, Boleslaw, baptism #148 in 1889. Also in Russian.
Enjoy!
Sophia

80.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.37 MB

80.jpg

Jan_Barlow

Post Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:48 am      Post subject:

WOW! but omg how the heck do I read this! LOL! I cannot make out their names! What do they say?!
Uhh this is so exciting!!

Visit poster's website
Jan_Barlow

Post Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:30 am      Post subject:

So the full Polish surname is simply Balo?? Nothing else? It is not shortened?
Visit poster's website
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:40 am      Post subject:

Jan_Barlow wrote:
So the full Polish surname is simply Balo?? Nothing else? It is not shortened?

Hi Jan,
So, his grave marker was right, all along!
That is how I read it, in both records. Antoni Balo and Joanna Czechowska. Best get the Russian translated, though, and you can do that by posting to the Russian records translation thread on this forum. Since I do not read Russian, I was greatly assisted by the priest putting their names in Polish in what I call "vertical line parentheses" within the Russian documents.
Best,
Sophia
Jan_Barlow

Post Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:43 am      Post subject:

Thanks so much Sophia!! Yes I will ask for a translation! BTW where did you find these documents? I have combed through websites and never came across an Antoni Balo! can you link me the website?
Visit poster's website
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:01 am      Post subject:

Should have given these to you as links... it is easier then for the translator....

https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/63/149/0/1/90/str/1/10/15/y7RoTrB22HHSxbGSt2A9JQ/#tabSkany

https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/63/149/0/1/92/str/1/6/15/R0Ifh6F-aCU01BiPseUj9A/#tabSkany

Sophia
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:33 pm      Post subject:

Jan,
Here's a quick how-to:

You will copy-and-paste the links I gave you above into the Russian translation thread. To find it, go here:
https://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=3525 and scroll down to the bottom of the page to where it lets you put a "Quick Reply." Put your message there - - it is usually good form to give the names of the people you are looking for, and the name of the town in which the church is. And paste the two links.
Good luck!
Sophia
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:37 am      Post subject: Re: Trying to find Barlow real surname

Jan_Barlow wrote:
Hello everyone! I am trying to find my great great Grandfather’s Surname . His name was Anthony Barlow. He was born in 1865-1868 Poland and arrived in the USA in 1890-1891. To put in bluntly my father became very estranged from his family (he passed away in 2005), and my brother and are the only ones left in the family. Anthony Barlow made a life for himself in Bayonne New Jersey which used to be super populated Polish community (also where my father grew up) where most of all my Polish relatives grew up. It was suggested to me from a distant relative that he name Barlow could be Barzydlo, but I cannot find any correlation with the time for a Barzydlo and Anthony Barlow. I have been searching and cross referencing names and document searches for 2 weeks now filling up my family tree on ancestry .com but cannot find his actual Polish Surname. I have gone through ship registered passengers, etc., I am exhausted. He literally doesn’t seem to pop up on the radar until 1900 in a census in Bayonne,NJ with his wife Johanna(also Juana) and kids. I have had a quote from a genealogist explaining my very detailed and long winded story of my family of all the info and they are confident they can find the name and few generations back into Poland for $3,750.00USD....!!! I certainly DO NOT want to pay that!!! Any help from any of you, pointing me in the right direction or suggestions would be EXTREMELY appreciated!! No matter how many marriage and birth records websites I search through, I cannot tie an Antonius Barlow(with any number of Polish Derivatives) and a Johanna Czechowski her maiden name according to 1939 Bayonne New Jersey newspaper. I have called their church, and even with children's baptisms they signed Barlow. They were way too committed to this name change! On Anthony's tombstone it is listed at Anthony Balo, as well as the 1928 newspaper listing of his death.

Here is Antoni's parents marriage record written in polish extracted from Bakałarzewo romancatholic parish from 1864 which confirms the surname Balo.

Konopki

It happened in Bakałarzewo town on the 13th day of November 1864, at 2 p.m.
We make it known that in the presence of the witnesses: Michał Wądołowski and Piotr Wądawski, both 45 years old, farmers from Konopki, there was concluded on this day religious marriage between:

Adam Balo, a young man, son of spouses: late Jakub Balo and living Marianna Balo nee Kapa, farmers living in Konopki. Servant, born and living in the village Konopki, 23 years old

and

Marianna Zamejda, a miss, daughter of spouses: late Marcin Zamejda and living Anna Zamejda nee Pawlukiewicz, who loosely lived*** in Trzciane. Born in Trzciane, living in Konopki, servant, 21 years old.

This marriage was preceded by the 3 banns of marriage announced in Bakałarzewo parish church on: 23rd day of October, 30th day of October and 6th day of November of the current year.

Newlyweds declared they did not make any prenuptial agreement.
Religious marriage ceremony was performed by the undersigned priest.
This act was read to the newlyweds and witnesses, all illiterate and signed by us.

Priest W. Siękiewicz, Bakałarzewo parish parson.

***There is used here polish term: luźno żyjący, which literally means: loosely living. In latin it was written in few ways: vagantes, vagabundae, rustici vagi or licentiosi.
Former Poland was a country with a clear state division. There were, however, numerous people who did not fit into this, then established, division into basic states: the nobility, burghers and peasants.
Irrespective of their social status, they could not be considered as either peasants or others. Their living conditions and customs were very different to those of serfs. They enjoyed considerable freedom, they were not assigned to the land. However, their living conditions were usually much worse than the peasants.

Adam Balo marriage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  613.82 KB

Adam Balo marriage.jpg

PAYPAL: [email protected]
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:17 am      Post subject: Re: Trying to find Barlow real surname

"Here is Antoni's parents marriage record written in polish extracted from Bakałarzewo roman catholic parish from 1864 which confirms the surname Balo."

Nice! One question for you, Karol.... All of the records for the Balo family that we have looked at so far on szukajwarchiwach are from Ksiega Duplikat. Do you think that the church in Bakalarzewo would hold the originals? It would be nice to have access to the year 1866 (maybe 1867) when Antoni Balo was supposed to be born, and the archive does not have those years.
Best,
Sophia
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:14 am      Post subject: Re: Trying to find Barlow real surname

Sophia wrote:
"Here is Antoni's parents marriage record written in polish extracted from Bakałarzewo roman catholic parish from 1864 which confirms the surname Balo."

Nice! One question for you, Karol.... All of the records for the Balo family that we have looked at so far on szukajwarchiwach are from Ksiega Duplikat. Do you think that the church in Bakalarzewo would hold the originals? It would be nice to have access to the year 1866 (maybe 1867) when Antoni Balo was supposed to be born, and the archive does not have those years.
Best,
Sophia

The Suwałki State Archives have in their resourses the year 1866 for Bakałarzewo parish and i have already ordered baptism record and i am in contact with Jan_Barlow Wink

PAYPAL: [email protected]
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:17 am      Post subject: Re: Trying to find Barlow real surname

Sophia wrote:

Best,
Sophia

Hi Sophia,

The short answer to your question regarding records held in the parish of St. James the Apostle (św. Jakuba Apostoła) in Bakałarzewo is “No” according to the parish website from the Diocese of Elk: http://diecezjaelk.pl/bakalarzewo-parafia-p-w-sw-jakuba-apostola/

The parish holds baptism records from 1837, although some years are missing, and marriages from 1905, and deaths from 1914.

The longer question is what records are considered “originals”. I’ve recently thought that it could be helpful to examine the anatomy of the formation of the civil registration records in Russian. I’ve come across some records from the parish of Chodecz from the late 19th and the early 20th Centuries which clearly exemplify the process by which the civil registration records were produced. More about that later if it is a topic of interest.

Hope you are enjoying the hunt.

Dave
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:31 am      Post subject: Re: Trying to find Barlow real surname

dnowicki wrote:

Hi Sophia,

The short answer to your question regarding records held in the parish of St. James the Apostle (św. Jakuba Apostoła) in Bakałarzewo is “No” according to the parish website from the Diocese of Elk: http://diecezjaelk.pl/bakalarzewo-parafia-p-w-sw-jakuba-apostola/

The parish holds baptism records from 1837, although some years are missing, and marriages from 1905, and deaths from 1914.

The longer question is what records are considered “originals”. I’ve recently thought that it could be helpful to examine the anatomy of the formation of the civil registration records in Russian. I’ve come across some records from the parish of Chodecz from the late 19th and the early 20th Centuries which clearly exemplify the process by which the civil registration records were produced. More about that later if it is a topic of interest.

Hope you are enjoying the hunt.

Dave

Hi Dave,
Indeed, I did enjoy the hunt! Now I think I will step away, and let Karol and Jan continue with the Balo search.
I would be very interested in your thoughts on original vs. duplicate church books. Maybe we can open a new thread for it?
Best,
Sophia
Jan_Barlow

Post Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:04 am      Post subject:

Yes Karol and I have been in contact, and I want to publicly thank him, and again as well as all the others that have helped contribute to me finding my ancestry! I still find it strange that the surname Balo does not come up in any of my other searches in databases. I search the name Balo, and will come up with Balinski, Belkowski, Balicki, Brokowski, etc etc., but I have never come across a Balo. I have asked Karol about this(I know he just hasn't had the chance to reply) but I am very curious about any info on the origin of Balo.
Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Page 2 of 4

Jump to: