PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
surname Czepiel
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author

Replies: 23

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:29 pm      Post subject: surname Czepiel

I don't know where to start, I feel so overwhelmed by the lack of information regarding my great great grandparents.

What I do know/have been told;
Anthony & Stella left Poland 1914, he supposedly with a brother who was supposed to go to Watrous, SK, her with a sister that ended up in either Detroit or Chicago. Stanislawa/Stella's maiden name is Salsmay, her father was a sea captain?
Many years ago, an uncle of Anthony wrote to family member in Canada regarding his location & that of the brother (to which no one seems to know his name or what happened to him) This uncle was a professor at the University of Warsaw and had planned to come to Canada to meet the family that had become, but sadly he passed and the family here received a letter from the wife (written in Polish) that he had passed and that was the end of that. I don't know where to look anymore. I have located and spoken with 3 of my great great grandparents children (who I didn't even know existed prior to my search) but no one has been able to tell me anything more, just adding tidbits of random info.

I have recently found them on the ship's records, but haven't had luck finding another "Czepiel" to be the brother

S.S. Pallanza, May 1914
departure port in Hamburg, Germany
arrival port in Quebec

Manifest:
Czepiel, Antoni, 26 years old
Czepiel, Stanislawa, 21 years old
both of Polish race

Passenger List:
Csepiel, Antoni, farm labourer
Csepiel, Stanislawa, housewife
destination Sask.
+ same info as on Manifest

1916 census I can place in Saskatchewan, Canada
surname Ch(a,e)pel (I cannot decipher between a,e due to the handwriting)
Anthony 29 years
Stella 23 years
Roman Catholic, immigrated 1914 from Austria (Pol)
Anthony 1 year, born in SK <~ I believe this to be my great grandfather
John infant, born in SK

I am hoping that these names may ring a bell to someone else who has had more success than me....

EDIT: I do have DOB's for them but not entirely certain how accurate they are
Cheri Vanden Berg
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:33 pm      Post subject:

Do you have their birth village, or the last place they lived, from the ship manifest? Also, by 1914 there was usually a contact person from where they were from in Poland, and it named the relationship to the passenger. Do you have that information? That would really help to let you know where you could look next.
ciaara

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:57 pm      Post subject:

Attached is the list of them one line 18 & 19. No other identifying information as far as I can tell. The other list from the ship has even less info, hence why I am so "lost"

Pallanza_Czepiel.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  207.65 KB
 Viewed:  9833 Time(s)

Pallanza_Czepiel.jpg

Andrzej

Replies: 17

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:54 pm      Post subject:

Hi, ciaara !
I look for the name Czepiel people in my database from Jaroslaw county of the Podkarpackie voievodeship (Subcarpathian Region) in Poland. It seems to me that I have in my trees and genealogical indexes that name. Please be patient because my database is quite large and the search will take me some time. Please to contact. Regards from Wroclaw, Poland !
Andrew Olejarz
Cheri Vanden Berg

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:06 pm      Post subject:

ciaara wrote:
Attached is the list of them one line 18 & 19. No other identifying information as far as I can tell. The other list from the ship has even less info, hence why I am so "lost"

I'm sorry. After I wrote I realized that I had never seen a manifest from a ship arriving in Canada, so maybe the information would be different. There wouldn't happen to be a second page, would there? After about 1908 or so, the ship manifests at Ellis Island were two pages long. Once again, maybe it was different in Canada. This does narrow the area they were from in Poland a little. In the line country of their birth it says Gal. That is abbreviated for Galicia.
ciaara

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:27 pm      Post subject:

Cheri Vanden Berg wrote:
ciaara wrote:

I'm sorry. After I wrote I realized that I had never seen a manifest from a ship arriving in Canada, so maybe the information would be different. There wouldn't happen to be a second page, would there? After about 1908 or so, the ship manifests at Ellis Island were two pages long. Once again, maybe it was different in Canada. This does narrow the area they were from in Poland a little. In the line country of their birth it says Gal. That is abbreviated for Galicia.

the document itself is like 29 pages, all the same, but with different names on each page listing the passengers and their "vague" details. I have seen various manifests on other ancestors (different branch of my tree) and for some people it does give a name/reason but never anything for "my" people lol My other ancestors from the Ukraine departed in Hamburg as well, arriving at another port in Canada (1902-1904) and the sheets look pretty much the same as the ones in use in 1914, except that I am able to find 75% of one family on the boat together amazingly enough...
ciaara

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:29 pm      Post subject:

Andrzej wrote:
Hi, ciaara !
I look for the name Czepiel people in my database from Jaroslaw county of the Podkarpackie voievodeship (Subcarpathian Region) in Poland. It seems to me that I have in my trees and genealogical indexes that name. Please be patient because my database is quite large and the search will take me some time. Please to contact. Regards from Wroclaw, Poland !
Andrew Olejarz

I would appreciate that Andrzej, I am not giving up hope and will continue tracking down relations in Canada in hopes of finding out more information but its frustrating and I would love to provide their children with some knowledge
Shellie

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:34 pm      Post subject:

Hi Ciaara!
Welcome to our group! There are lots of people here who share your interest in the surname Czepiel. It's frustrating when you don't know which village to search for, but if we all put our heads together, we might be able to figure it out. The more you can tell us, even if it seems irrelevant, will increase the chances that someone will recognize something that might help you.

For selfish reasons, I am hoping your Czepiel ancestors are from Odrowaz or Zaluczne (near Nowy Targ - South of Krakow). There are several members here related to the Czepiels from that area.

I will check with my cousins and see if we have anything that matches what you've shared so far. Thanks for posting your query here!

Shellie
Cheri Vanden Berg

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:37 pm      Post subject:

Have you tried looking for citizenship papers? Maybe someone familiar with Canadian research will pipe in with advice. I know that in the U.S. if someone didn't have luck finding where their ancestors were from on a manifest, naturalization records would be worth pursuing.
Shellie

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:15 pm      Post subject:

Hi again Ciaara!
Your head must be spinning right now with all of the replies in such a short time. I have a few thoughts that I wanted to pass by you:

1. You sound unsure about your ancestor's location in Saskatchewan. Did your family move to another location?

2. Do you already know which church your family attended in Sask? Have you contacted the church to see if they have a baptism or other records?

3. People tended to emigrate to areas where they knew other people from their Poland village. If you know the area in Sask. a little detective work should help you narrow down possible Polish villages.

4. You stated that Stanislawa's maiden name might have been Salsmay and her father may have been a sea captain. Perhaps Stanislawa was from a seaside village in north Poland....?

5. It is amazing what information distant cousins have. It was well worth my time to track down every possible living cousin. The bits of information they shared with me was vital to finding my family in Poland. One cousin even gave me some old postcards written in Polish - he didn't realize the postcards were written by his grandparents until he gave them to me and I recognized the addresses.
ciaara

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:21 am      Post subject:

Shellie wrote:
Hi Ciaara!
For selfish reasons, I am hoping your Czepiel ancestors are from Odrowaz or Zaluczne (near Nowy Targ - South of Krakow). There are several members here related to the Czepiels from that area.

haha, I'm beginning to wonder if I should just pick a random name and just go with it.... I can find many Czepiels coming & going, but unfortunately I am not finding anything relating to what I know

Cheri Vanden Berg wrote:
Have you tried looking for citizenship papers? Maybe someone familiar with Canadian research will pipe in with advice. I know that in the U.S. if someone didn't have luck finding where their ancestors were from on a manifest, naturalization records would be worth pursuing.

I have not as I don't know where to even start that search, but am open to ideas

Shellie wrote:
Hi again Ciaara!
Your head must be spinning right now with all of the replies in such a short time. I have a few thoughts that I wanted to pass by you:

1. You sound unsure about your ancestor's location in Saskatchewan. Did your family move to another location?

2. Do you already know which church your family attended in Sask? Have you contacted the church to see if they have a baptism or other records?

3. People tended to emigrate to areas where they knew other people from their Poland village. If you know the area in Sask. a little detective work should help you narrow down possible Polish villages.

4. You stated that Stanislawa's maiden name might have been Salsmay and her father may have been a sea captain. Perhaps Stanislawa was from a seaside village in north Poland....?

5. It is amazing what information distant cousins have. It was well worth my time to track down every possible living cousin. The bits of information they shared with me was vital to finding my family in Poland. One cousin even gave me some old postcards written in Polish - he didn't realize the postcards were written by his grandparents until he gave them to me and I recognized the addresses.

I love the replies, if only they told me who my ancestors were! lol I have been in contact with another woman in the US who also has a Czepiel that she has hit a wall with, albeit she has been at it a lot longer than me, my info doesn't seem to "jive" with what little she has found for herself

In response to your questions...

1. I'm not unsure, I have their exact placement, just didn't think posting their exact location relevant Smile They stayed in SK, had 14 children and died in SK I have since tracked down 4 of their children without much success in finding out where they actually came from aside from "Poland" (but I have learned about them as people which has been worth it for me)

2. <sigh> the church burned down many moons ago. But I was given the name of one that may be able to help me so that will be on my "to-do" list. BUT, at best they would really only have records for my great grandfather & siblings as Anthony & Stella weren't born/married here?

3. This is the thing... I've asked their children why they came over, no one really knows. My other side came over as small armies, why did they come over alone? Who did they know? Again no one has answers. Being that they didn't come over until later, most of the area was already "established"

4. Interesting point! I don't know this for fact, just what their grandson (my great uncle) "thought" I am having no luck whatsoever on her maiden name (worse than the Czepiel name)

5. I have been extremely lucky reagrding my other lines, this one has frustrated me but I know they had to have come from somewhere!! Before I started looking, I had no idea that my great grandfather had siblings, let alone he was the eldest of 14 children! One of his siblings did say she thought there was a marriage certificate kicking around for Anthony & Stella... of course I got excited! I have already posted her a postage paid envelope to send me a copy and whatever else she may be able to find.

Its my nature to keep going, I can't just sit and wait hoping someone locates something that may or may not exist so I keep plugging away Shocked
Andrzej

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:52 am      Post subject:

Hi , ciaara
Please check the database on the web. geneszukacz.genealodzy.pl
- I send a link to this page, which deals with the Polish name Czepiel databases.
http://www.geneszukacz.genealodzy.pl/lang-eng
With greetings from Wroclaw, Poland -
Andrew Olejarz
Cheri Vanden Berg

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:05 am      Post subject: Canadian naturalizations

This website contains information about naturalizations in Canada:
http://www.naturalizationrecords.com/canada/
Andrzej

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:47 am      Post subject: Re: Canadian naturalizations

Cheri Vanden Berg wrote:
This website contains information about naturalizations in Canada:
http://www.naturalizationrecords.com/canada/

Yes, dear Cheri !. Thank You very much for link to Canadian research page ! Smile.
Best regards to You from Wroclaw , Poland !.
Andrew Olejarz
Cheri Vanden Berg

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:03 pm      Post subject:

[quote="ciaara"]
Shellie wrote:
Hi Ciaara!

You wrote:
haha, I'm beginning to wonder if I should just pick a random name and just go with it.... I can find many Czepiels coming & going, but unfortunately I am not finding anything relating to what I know

Some of Shellie and my ancestors come from this area, and we have gotten close to Bonnie Czepiel, another Polish Origins member whose ancestors come from Odrowaz and Zaluczne, so this is why Shellie had hoped your Czepiels were also from this area. Quite frankly, I was extremely lucky that my ancestors were from this area because Shellie and Bonnie both visited there, and helped me so much.

You wrote:
1. I'm not unsure, I have their exact placement, just didn't think posting their exact location relevant Smile They stayed in SK, had 14 children and died in SK I have since tracked down 4 of their children without much success in finding out where they actually came from aside from "Poland" (but I have learned about them as people which has been worth it for me)

ciarra, anything you could share might be relevant, but definitely where they lived. Someone could read your post and know the area - maybe know where people lived in Poland that settled where your ancestors did in Poland. The more details that you can share the better. When I first posted, less than 5 months ago, I didn't know the village my grandmother was from in Poland. I shared every detail I could think of, everywhere I looked, any document that I had gotten. I shared photos and it was incredible how much I learned from the photos - what people recognized that I would have never known. I am so very sympathetic with anyone that can't find their ancestors birth place. Even though I searched for years, it meant more to me than I ever realized that it would when I finally knew where my grandmother was born.

You wrote:
2. <sigh> the church burned down many moons ago. But I was given the name of one that may be able to help me so that will be on my "to-do" list. BUT, at best they would really only have records for my great grandfather & siblings as Anthony & Stella weren't born/married here?

It might be if you shared the name of the church, someone might know something too. Maybe not now, but maybe in the future...

You wrote:
3. This is the thing... I've asked their children why they came over, no one really knows. My other side came over as small armies, why did they come over alone? Who did they know? Again no one has answers. Being that they didn't come over until later, most of the area was already "established".

My grandmother came over with a friend in 1913. Except for a sister that lived in Chicago in the 1970s, she was the only one of 10 children that immigrated to the U.S. I always felt that she didn't have any family around. I hadn't realized until researching that she had cousins that came over - many from her village of Zaluczne immigrated to Chicago. I would guess that your ancestors came over for financial reasons, and very likely settled in an area where others from their village had gone before them. That's why it helps to research not only them, but neighbors, and members, or the history of their church. That might lead you to find their birth places, though I would definitely try a naturalization record.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Page 1 of 3

Jump to: