PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 48

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:00 pm      Post subject: Need support against comment on google maps

I need your members to help me if they feel led. I was doing research on cemeteries in my home town in Pennsylvania. I began to check out my husband's family home & mine. Then I ended up at the church where I grew up, went to school & got married. It was St. Mary of Czestochowa Roman Catholic Church on Kenneth Ave. in New Kensington, PA. It is a beautiful church with hand painted murals of various Biblical scenes on the curved area between the side walls & the ceiling. The spires and various size statues cover the center altar and the two side altars. The bass relief Stations of the Cross are works of art along the walls of the church.

On Google maps, they had a comment that there does not need to be 3 churches in the same area and St. Mary's should be used for....I couldn't get it to give me the rest, but it didn't matter. A block over there is Mount St. Peter's and it was the Italian Catholic church in town. The inside was all Italian marble brought over from Italy. The comment for that church was the movie The Godfather should have been filmed in it! Then they slammed our Christian faith asking where the unity was?

Below is the letter I wrote complaining to Google Maps. If any of your members agree, please have them feel free to complain to Google Maps, also. Thanks for your support:

Whoever wrote that comment about St. Mary's Church has no idea about the Christian faith, nor any idea of what an assine statement that is! New Kensington & surrounding areas began as pockets of ethnic heritage! St. Mary's is the POLISH Catholic Church with the most beautiful hand painted life size Christian murals around the church where the side walls & ceiling come together. Named after the famous St. Mary of Czestochowa Roman Catholic Church near Krakow, Poland. Mount St. Peter's is the ITALIAN Catholic Church. The former church across the street from St. Mary's was a PROTESTANT Church. You might as well include the BYZANTINE Catholic Church (not under the Pope!) further down Kenneth Ave. in Arnold! The rich heritage of customs, languages, etc. I grew up with cannot be valued. Each weekend during the summer we attended a different heritage picnic. We ate the specialty food, learned the dances and other customs sharing the rich heritage that made America the "Melting Pot" it is today! Shame on the person who made such a rash statement about my home town, my church & my faith as a Christian! I'm proud to be a Polish American & I teach our heritage everywhere I've lived & celebrated my family's customs in my community, my new church and my geneology society! Andrea
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:21 pm      Post subject:

Quote:
PenguinsFan ‎ - Feb 22, 2012
It's time to close this building. There is no need to have three churches in the same neighborhood; where is the unity? The place would make a really nice banquet hall for civic events. New Kensington needs a community center in that area.

0 out of 1 people found this review helpful. Was this review helpful? Yes - No - Flag as inappropriate

All Polska, Please don't let this upset you. This guy makes reviews (he has 22 of them posted) for places all over town. Most are negative. He only has a 1 star rating so most people doesn't care for what he thinks. Did you notice I made the only "no" vote in his review. He has no yes votes Smile
Send e-mail
All Polska

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:31 pm      Post subject:

Thanks for letting me know! However, it is kind of crude & he doesn't know or care for the artistic value, nor the heritage, etc.
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:13 am      Post subject:

Can you post the link to the site on Google maps?
Cheri Vanden Berg
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:13 pm      Post subject:

It is a beautiful church.
I don't think there is a direct link. If you put this in the Google Map search engine:
St Mary's RC Church, Kenneth Avenue, New Kensington, PA

When you get there, you can click on St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church,
and that is where you'll see this comment:

PenguinsFan ‎ - Feb 22, 2012
It's time to close this building. There is no need to have three churches in the same neighborhood; where is the unity? The place would make a really nice banquet hall for civic events. New Kensington needs a community center in that area.
Malutka

Replies: 16

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:42 pm      Post subject: Link to St. Mary's

There is a link to the parish website if anyone wants to check it out. It's beautiful!

http://www.stmarynk.org/

Folks, don't let the pessimistic poster about this church get to you too much. He is who he is. Certainly, write to google if you feel compelled to do so— that's taking action. Otherwise, don't give him any power over you. He doesn't deserve that kind of recognition.

my two cents
Felicia

Replies: 43

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:13 pm      Post subject:

Malutka, that's right. He is entitled to his opinion, regardless of how ignorant it may be. People obviously recognize this ignorance, so just blow him some raspberries and move on. His comments are not worth getting upset about. Smile

To PenguinsFan, I offer one of my favorite quotes: "Make sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth." (Or posting)
All Polska

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:55 pm      Post subject:

O.k. It is time for me to make another comment. I'm the one who made the original forum topic. Call me naive, but because I couldn't open the "see more" on the comment. I actually thought the comment I read was directly from Google, not from a unknown person. That was what got my dander up! That's why I went on about the beauty of the chruch and the heritage of the area. I had no idea it was from an actual person making a comment apart from Google.
Felicia

Replies: 43

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:06 pm      Post subject:

I can't imagine Google ever making a comment like that! Accepting one, yes. Making one, no. Maybe you can add a comment of your own regarding the cultural diversity of the churches.
Jeep

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:31 am      Post subject:

St. Mary of Czestochowa is a parish of the Diocese of Greensburg. The fate of the parish is up to the bishop of Greensburg. It is not merely a "building." The parish is alive and well. It has volunteers, competent staffers, a children's choir, a Polish choir, a men's society, a women's society, charitable societies, a teen program, Catechesis of the Good Shepherd for ages 3 and up, Bible study, a cemetery with a computerized census, and much more.

Of course, the demographics of the town are what they are. This church, and many others, were built with great sacrifice and priority by immigrants. When it was built, it was the largest church in New Kensington, since St. Joseph wasn't completed until 1922, and Mount St. Peter until 1940 or so. Nicknamed "the Polish cathedral" it is a building that serves the parish well. The acoustics are good, and the church is both majestic and warm. It's very comfortable. Architecturally, it is blend of new and old. You will see a hand-carved altar from 1912 and original statuary, as well as carpeting and padded pews.

The parish welcomes new members, whether Polish or not. Go see it for yourself. It is not worthy of the criticism that was given by one blogger.

www.stmarynk.org
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Other topics related to Poland and Polish roots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: