PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:50 am      Post subject: Padnewno

Hi, newbie here
i have lots of questions so hardly know where to begin, but thought I'd start here:

My gr gr grandfather, who anglicized his name to Matthew Havens came from Wilno in 1903. (I believe he was widowed by this time as he married again in the US).
I believe his original name was Maciej Iwanowsky. (his immigration is here: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JFPR-CYF)

In 1904 he brought one of his daughters over. She anglicized her name to Jessie/Jessica Havens, and I suspect her original name was Joasia Iwanowska. This is her immigration record.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JFB5-64Z

I am curious as to what town Padnewno could be?
most of the genetic markers associated with this side of the family, are shown as being anywhere from Gdansk to Vilna.

Thanks

katgirl
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1028

Post Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:19 am      Post subject: Re: Padnewno

katgirl wrote:
Hi, newbie here
i have lots of questions so hardly know where to begin, but thought I'd start here:

My gr gr grandfather, who anglicized his name to Matthew Havens came from Wilno in 1903. (I believe he was widowed by this time as he married again in the US).
I believe his original name was Maciej Iwanowsky. (his immigration is here: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JFPR-CYF)

In 1904 he brought one of his daughters over. She anglicized her name to Jessie/Jessica Havens, and I suspect her original name was Joasia Iwanowska. This is her immigration record.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JFB5-64Z

I am curious as to what town Padnewno could be?
most of the genetic markers associated with this side of the family, are shown as being anywhere from Gdansk to Vilna.

Thanks

katgirl

Hi katgirl,
There is a Padniewo, and right next to it a Padniewko (just type that into the search box on googlemaps) however they are quite far from Lithuania.
For places in Lithuania, the first thing that came to mind was Poniewiez (spelled Panevezys in Lithuanian) but it seems rather a stretch from the spelling on the ship manifest.
It is worth keeping in mind that many places will have alternative spellings, as borders shifted over time and the predominant language shifted as well. You have a perfect example of that with Wilno / Vilnius. What you might try is looking for online gazeteers, which are helpful because places are listed alphabetically and you can just scroll down to places starting with "Pad..." and see what you can find. Good historic gazeteers will provide you with each town's alternative spellings.
Best of luck in your search,
Sophia
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:15 pm      Post subject:

Hi Katgirl,

here is a link I found with lists of Lithuanian villages:

http://lithuaniangenealogy.org/static_db/LT-gazetteer2.php?letter=O

Good luck,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
Tina Ellis

Replies: 74

Post Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:57 am      Post subject:

Cynthia,

Thank you for posting this site. I seem to have a difficult time finding an actual map for Lithuania, which is interfaced with this link. Is it me or is there a problem?

Thank you.
Tina Ellis
[email protected]
Send e-mail
katgirl

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:58 am      Post subject:

Thanks everyone!
I wonder if it would have made a difference that since the manifest was out of Hamburg, could they have written the german equivalent for the name of the town?
Tina Ellis

Replies: 74

Post Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:10 pm      Post subject: PLACE NAMES

After researching for "too many" years, I have learned most foreign names to the people doing the writing where done phonetically for their own language. The name Szwarc appears on manifests as Swartz, Schwarz, etc. When a person who was illiterate came here, someone else spelled their names. Place names were also misspelled in the same manner. Plus ... than we have the guessing came. Places like Szurpily became Surpily, or many other things. I have had to search and search for proper name and place names until I brain became so full, it will not accept anymore of them. LOL !! And ... that's the truth !! Smile
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: