PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:34 pm      Post subject: Stefan/Szczepan Budek, Felicjanów

The only two records I have regarding my deceased father's past are attached. They appear to be certificate testimonials from a parish priest written in Polish and Latin stating his name, birthday, parents names, etc. It was signed in 1951 shortly before he left Germany for America so I am assuming it was a document he needed to leave Germany from a resettlement camp. I am trying to figure out the name of the church and the specific town so that I can perhaps find records of his parents and other family. If anyone can help identify the town, church or priest, it would be most helpful.

Scan_0010.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Scan_0010.pdf
 Filesize:  656.73 KB
 Downloaded:  330 Time(s)

Scan_0010.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Scan_0010.pdf
 Filesize:  656.73 KB
 Downloaded:  282 Time(s)

Scan_0011.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Scan_0011.pdf
 Filesize:  437.62 KB
 Downloaded:  313 Time(s)

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:43 pm      Post subject: Re: Research in Poland

GLONDYS wrote:
The only two records I have regarding my deceased father's past are attached. They appear to be certificate testimonials from a parish priest written in Polish and Latin stating his name, birthday, parents names, etc. It was signed in 1951 shortly before he left Germany for America so I am assuming it was a document he needed to leave Germany from a resettlement camp. I am trying to figure out the name of the church and the specific town so that I can perhaps find records of his parents and other family. If anyone can help identify the town, church or priest, it would be most helpful.

Hi,

The Polish is a verbatim translation of the Latin or vice versa. I imagine that you read Polish but here is a verbatim translation of the Latin into English:
Felicjanów
Testimony of the Rev. Pastor Buckowski of the parish of Felicjanów* in Poland: I attest that Stefan/Szczepan Budek, who resided at Felicjanów until the year 1939 and was a parishioner of this parish, was born on the 10th day of May, 1919, of the father Antoni and the mother Maria (née) Zalewska in Srebrno**, województwo of Płock, and the gmina of Biała, and that he is in free condition***. This testimonial was given to Stefan/Szczepan Budek in place of a certificate of birth and baptism.
Rev/ Buckowski, pastor
On the 8th day of March, 1951

Notes: *If Felicjanów was a parish as the document states, it became a parish after about 1933. The Skorowidz (cf. attachment) was published circa 1933 and lists the parish to which Felicjanów belonged as Bodzianów (cf. attached map)
**Srebrno: currently Srebrna (village of birth), which belonged to the parish of Biała, where his birth and baptism would have been recorded (cf. attached entry from Skorowidz and map)
***in statu libere/in free condition: a statement usually used to indicate that he was free to contract marriage.

I cannot say whether or not he needed this document to leave Germany for a resettlement camp. In my opinion, the document would likely have been necessary for him at the time he wanted to marry. I base this opinion on the statement regarding is free status plus the fact that the text was in both Polish and in Latin. Latin was the official language of the RC Church and would have been understood by priests everywhere in 1951. Polish, of course, would have been understood only by Polish speaking priests. It seems that the parish of Biała would be a good place to begin a search for records of his parents and extended family.

Wishing you success,

Dave

Skorowidz miejscowości Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej Srebrna.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  73.12 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Skorowidz miejscowości Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej Srebrna.png

srebrna & Biala map.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  281.26 KB

srebrna & Biala map.png

Skorowidz miejscowości Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej Felicjanow.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.31 KB

Skorowidz miejscowości Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej Felicjanow.png

Felicjanow mapa.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  281.98 KB

Felicjanow mapa.png

GLONDYS

Post Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:18 pm      Post subject: Thank you Dave!

Thank you for translating the Latin certificate into English.
GLONDYS

Post Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:27 pm      Post subject: Budeks in Zukowo

A friend helped me identify the church that registered my father's birth in 1911: https://parafia-zukowo.pl/. All his documents stated that he was born in 1919, but the church record of his birth states 1911. At first we thought perhaps he had a brother who might have passed away, but the month and date of birth are the same, so we have concluded he was born in 1911. I don't know if he or others changed the date by accident or on purpose? My understanding is that he was captured into forced labor in 1939.

Anyway, I have emailed the church and hope to visit in a few months.

I am also trying to find any people living in the area of the church with the same surname of Budek. (I don't belong to Facebook but perhaps I should join?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: