PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Iskirka/Malgraff
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Author

Replies: 22

Post Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:18 am      Post subject:

Cheri, just as a matter of interest, I looked up both Anton Michalek and Josef Krivan. They were both on the Terpsichore with Jan Iskierka in 1876 and all were living in Palmerston North, New Zealand, at least for the next several years. Michalek bought two pieces of land, one with a house on it; sadly two of his children died, one at four years old and one at two months old. Josef Krivan also did well and bought first one, then two, pieces of property. I could try to find out more about Anton Michalek, but since Linda Monks posted in 1999, this may be too late now.
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:01 am      Post subject:

Tina,
In the Chicago Tribune Historical Archive I found obituaries for Frances Iskierka-Kolosis and John "Kolosis" Kozlowski
1975-04-01
Chicago Tribune (IL)
KOZLOWSKI
Edition: Chicago Tribune
John "Kolosis" Kozlowski, beloved husband of Frances Iskierka-Kozlowski; dearest father of Eugenia (Walter) Gunner and Claire (William) Humphries; ...
1979-08-19
Chicago Tribune (IL)
KOLOSIS (KOZLOWSKI)
Edition: Chicago Tribune
Frances Kolosis, beloved wife of the late John; dearest mother of Eugenia (the late Walter) Gunner and Claire (the late William) Hum-Phreys;
Mass for both of them was at St. John of God Church, Interment was at Resurrection Cemetery. I haven't looked for further information on Frances Iskierka-Kozlowski and don't know where she originally came from, but I thought I share the info with you.

There is also a Denise Iskierka in World Family Tree Volume 69, Tree 634, General location: Unknown Date: Unknown, and in World Family Tree Volume 187, Tree 695. Also a Jacob Iskierka in World Family Tree Volume 4, Tree 3828, Date: Private. This World Family Tree features these surnames and locations: Tuttle, Ricker, Angus, Gobler, Dick, Lambert, Clemens, Neubauer; and CA, WI, MN, OR, Norway, NY, Germany, IA.

These World Family Trees are on CD, I bought two of them many years back, but was disappointed, because they didn't have more than the names and some dates part of which turned out to be incorrect when I found the original records. So I don't know if these World Famiy Trees will be really helpful.
Tina

Replies: 22

Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:34 pm      Post subject:

Thank you so much, Ute, for looking up these names.
Frances (Franziska) was a family name for "my" Iskierkas, however it was probably a fairly common
Polish woman's name anyway -- but you never know! Every little bit helps to put the jigsaw puzzle together, doesn't it?
SUSIE

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:37 pm      Post subject:

Hi, I am looking up the ISKRA (ISKROC, ISKRZAK) FAMILY, my grandmas sister was married to george. I did come across an Ignatz in an old ciy directory on ancestry.com. Found an old paper that lists JEZOW as his birthplace in Poland. If anyone has any additional information or clues please let me know.
Thanks
jude888

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:42 pm      Post subject: Tina

wow I just decided to get my great grandmothers death cert her parents were JOHN Iskierka and Clara Iskierka nee Melgrade her name was Rose Mary and she was born in Palmerston North about 1887 I wonder if this is any relation to the ones you are researching. Rolling Eyes
CatherineH

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:54 pm      Post subject: Iskirka/Malgraff

Hi Tina

I have recently started researching my paternal line, and came across this forum - I am descended from Anton Michalek, who emigrated to New Zealand on the same ship as Johann Iskirka.

I see that a connection has been made between the two, and it would seem that they did indeed work together. I have come across a photograph which shows both of them (and others) working on a bush tramline for a local sawmill in Palmerston North which may be of interest to you:
http://www.digitalnz.org/records/1811785

If you have come across anything new regarding Anton, I'd be very grateful ... I am finding it difficult to find anything further back than the immigration/shipping records.

Thanks
Catherine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Page 2 of 2

Jump to: