PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 215

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:14 pm      Post subject: Help Deciphering Village Name

I would be grateful for help in deciphering the village name indicated on the 7th record down. It is the marriage record for Andreas Kromka and Marianna Nehring.

I also need clarification on the date.

Thank you for your help...and Szczęśliwego Nowego Roku!

Andreas Kromka m 1813.jpg
 Description:
7th record down on the left hand page
 Filesize:  1.63 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Andreas Kromka m 1813.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:50 pm      Post subject: Re: Help Deciphering Village Name

JGwizdowski wrote:
I would be grateful for help in deciphering the village name indicated on the 7th record down. It is the marriage record for Andreas Kromka and Marianna Nehring.

I read it as Grzywno. It is quite some distance from the other villages on that page, though.
Regarding the date, I cannot say. Ah, Latin!
Best,
Sophia
JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:11 pm      Post subject: Re: Help Deciphering Village Name

Sophia wrote:
JGwizdowski wrote:

I read it as Grzywno. It is quite some distance from the other villages on that page, though.
Best,
Sophia

Thank you, Sophia. I have a similar response! Yes, it is a far distance from Bobrowo!
Joe

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:50 pm      Post subject: Re: Help Deciphering Village Name

JGwizdowski wrote:
Sophia wrote:
JGwizdowski wrote:

Best,
Sophia

Thank you, Sophia. I have a similar response! Yes, it is a far distance from Bobrowo!
Joe

Hi Joe,
OK, I think I understand the date now. 8 September 1813.
Sophia
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:46 pm      Post subject: Re: Help Deciphering Village Name

Sophia wrote:
JGwizdowski wrote:
Sophia wrote:
JGwizdowski wrote:

Best,
Sophia

Joe

Hi Joe,
OK, I think I understand the date now. 8 September 1813.
Sophia

Hi Joe & Sophia,

According to the Słownik geograficzny, Grzywno was about 1 mile from Brodnica and 2 miles from Jabłonowo (Pomorskie) on the road between those two locations, which puts it near Bobrowo. Evidently it no longer exists under the name Grzywno. Could it possibly be Grzybno on contemporary maps? Here is the link to the Słownik http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_II/901 It is the final Grzywno in the left column.

Sophia, Congrats on understanding the date. What is in the text is “die 8va 9bris” which written in the words of that most beautiful of languages is die octava Novembris (on the 8th day of November). O carissima lingua Latina, O pulcerissima lingua nostra, ad multos annos, gloriosque annos vivas!

Dave
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:16 pm      Post subject:

Hi Dave,
I think you have it exactly right with Grzybno. Nice!
Thanks for confirming my guess about the date. You know, once you learn how to de-code this stuff, it's a lot less mysterious!
(On a side note, you may want to give your keyboard a good vacuuming. It seems to have typed "November" when I'm sure you told it to type "September").
Best,
Sophia
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:48 pm      Post subject:

Sophia wrote:
Hi Dave,
Thanks for confirming my guess about the date. You know, once you learn how to de-code this stuff, it's a lot less mysterious!
(On a side note, you may want to give your keyboard a good vacuuming. It seems to have typed "November" when I'm sure you told it to type "September").
Best,
Sophia

Hi Sophia,

Actually it is my multitasking skills that need some work. I was a bit premature in my congratulations. The date really is November 8, 1813. The entry is die 8va 9bris (the 8th day of November). If the old keyboard were not cooperating for it to be October 8, 1813 the Latin shorthand would have to be die 8va 8bis or in full text die octava Octobris.

I guess I'll have to change your grade from A+ to B+. Keep practicing those Arabic numerals and be glad that we don't have to use Roman numerals for multiplication and division and to write millions, billions, etc. The Roman numeral system symbolized large numbers by adding bars above the symbols. E.G. ten million would be X with two bars. We have a lot for which we should be grateful to the Arab world.

Dave
JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:10 pm      Post subject:

dnowicki wrote:
Sophia wrote:
Hi Dave,
Best,
Sophia

Hi Sophia,

Actually it is my multitasking skills that need some work. I was a bit premature in my congratulations. The date really is November 8, 1813. The entry is die 8va 9bris (the 8th day of November). If the old keyboard were not cooperating for it to be October 8, 1813 the Latin shorthand would have to be die 8va 8bis or in full text die octava Octobris.

I guess I'll have to change your grade from A+ to B+. Keep practicing those Arabic numerals and be glad that we don't have to use Roman numerals for multiplication and division and to write millions, billions, etc. The Roman numeral system symbolized large numbers by adding bars above the symbols. E.G. ten million would be X with two bars. We have a lot for which we should be grateful to the Arab world.

Dave

A big thank you, Dave, and to you Sophia. Grzybno makes perfect sense, and as for the Latin translation...I'll believe whatever you tell me, Dave!

Dziękuję!

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:28 pm      Post subject:

JGwizdowski wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
Sophia wrote:
Hi Dave,
Best,
Sophia

Hi Sophia,

Dave

A big thank you, Dave, and to you Sophia. Grzybno makes perfect sense, and as for the Latin translation...I'll believe whatever you tell me, Dave!

Dziękuję!

Joe,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I wouldn't deliberately lead you astray.

I hope the new year is treating you well.

Dave
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:48 am      Post subject:

dnowicki wrote:
Sophia wrote:
Hi Dave,
Best,
Sophia

Hi Sophia,

Dave

Hi Dave,
It's OK, I can live with a B+. I'll just keep on trying!
All I could tell for sure was that at the top of the page the priest abbreviated the names of the months as Jul and Aug and at the bottom of the page Januar, so I knew we needed to fit in between those. I'll have to watch for it, in future, when a numeral is used to represent the month that it won't line up with the way I now use numerals to represent months. So very interesting.
Thanks,
Sophia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: