PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 12

Post Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:13 pm      Post subject: Town name

Hello = I am attaching a photo of a document. We have tried to decipher the name of the town in the second box from the top, the last word in the first line, without success. The document is dated 1855. It is a village that may be located near present day Gdansk. It appears as Pobramzy (?). The third box, first line last word appears to spell the word Naworczin. I believe these villages may be near each other. Another town listed further on in the original document was Berent. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you - judy and gary

Cropped photo genea.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  170.34 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Cropped photo genea.jpg

mcdonald0517
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 642

Post Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:31 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

You may already know this..... the document is written in German script. I can’t make out the words you mention. I suggest you post it in the German records translation forum and ask the same question. You might get more help there.

Also, the Prussian partition of Poland gave German names to the Polish villages. So, it complicates the research in this area. For example, Berent is the German name for the Polish town and administrative district of Koscierzyna. Here is a link to a database that helps correlate German names with the Polish locations:

http://kartenmeister.com/preview/City.asp?CitNum=12474

Good luck,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
Marnie

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:16 pm      Post subject: Dziewięcierz vs. Einsingen

Was Dziewięcierz a Polish village before the development of the 'nearby' German village of Einsingen in 1772 (or thereabouts) or were they the same village with the new name of Einsingen when the German colonists settled their new village? Or, was Einsingen more like a "suburb" of Dziewięcierz? I realize that part if not all of Einsingen became Deviatyr after WW2 and placed in Ukraine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: