PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Kozlowski Research
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author

Replies: 41

Post Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:17 am      Post subject: Re: KLIMAS hometown

dnowicki wrote:
lindqm2 wrote:
I'm looking for the hometown for my Klimas ancestors. Here is the list I've gathered from several documents

LISZECZ - typed from Death Record for Joseph Klimas
LINCHETZ - transcribed from New York arrival passenger list for Andrew Klimas
LIN. KONIN - typed from Naturalization for Joseph Klimas
LISAC, KALISZ - handwritten from WWI record for Joseph Klimas
LASZTOCZ - transcribed from Hamburg departure passenger for Andrew Klimas
LISIEC - typed on husbands naturalization form for Lousie Klimas

I found two other people that were looking for ancestors with different last names that were both from Liszecz as well. One wrote (Liszecz, Liszec or Leachets)

Let me know what you think! Smile

Hi,

The place which fits best is Lisiec. None of the other spellings fit any place in Poland. There were three villages with that name all in the same area: Lisiec Wielki, Lisiec Mały, and Lisiec Nowy. The RC parish for all three is in Lisiec Wielki. (Cf. Attachment). During the 19th Century they were in powiat Koninski (of Konin) of the Kingdom of Poland (Królestwo Polskie) aka Russian Poland. Konin is just north of Kalisz and after WWI the law court for those villages was in Kalisz. Here is a link to the parish records for Lisiec Wielki on Family Search https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/results?count=20&placeId=69308&query=%2Bplace%3A%22Poland%2C%20Pozna%C5%84%2C%20Lisiec%20Wielki%20(Konin)%22&subjectsOpen=491937-50

Today the villages are all in woj. wielkopolskie, pow. Koniński, gmina Stare Miasto. Of course just because someone said that they were from Lisiec they may not have been born there but only lived there before leaving Europe but with a little luck that also may be their place of birth.

Wishing you good luck with this search,

Dave

PS I don't know why the last part of the link is different from the rest of it.

UPDATE: I was able to confirm that they are indeed from Lisiec Wielki !! Very Happy
lindqm2

Replies: 41

Post Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:47 am      Post subject: Translation please :)

I finally found my Great Great grandparents Leszkiewicz Marriage record! I didn't think I'd ever find them! I'm still in shock!

Tomasz Leszkiewicz & Franciszek Krausza 1888 Gąbin

Also, it looks like they added and "em" at the end of Tomasz's first and last name, any ideas why?

Can someone please translate this for me? Thank you! Very Happy

Tomasz Leszkiewicz marriage record 1888.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.19 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Tomasz Leszkiewicz marriage record 1888.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1948

Post Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:25 pm      Post subject: Re: Translation please :)

lindqm2 wrote:
I finally found my Great Great grandparents Leszkiewicz Marriage record! I didn't think I'd ever find them! I'm still in shock!

Tomasz Leszkiewicz & Franciszek Krausza 1888 Gąbin

Also, it looks like they added and "em" at the end of Tomasz's first and last name, any ideas why?

Can someone please translate this for me? Thank you! Very Happy

Hi,

Way cool that you confirmed Lisiec Wielki and even better that you found the marriage record of your great great-grandparents. You’ll probably get a better response for a translation if you post the request in the Russian Records Translation section of the forum: https://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=3525

The “em” endings on your Tomasz’s given and surnames is there because that is the case ending required by the grammar of the sentence. Keep in mind that Polish nouns have seven endings in the singular and seven in the plural. The change of endings is known as inflection and when inflection happens to nouns, pronouns and adjectives it is called a Declension. Even though Polish has seven cases you’ll find that not all are used in vital records so some case endings will never be found in the records. Also, the same thing is happening in the record with you great, great-grandmother’s first name. BTW her name is Franciszka (English: Frances). Franciszek is masculine (English: Francis). Her name appears in the record as Franciszką rather than Franciszka because that is the case ending required by the grammar of the sentence. The changes of endings is probably confusing to you if you are not familiar with inflected languages like Polish, Latin, Russian and German to name a few. Not to worry, there will not be quiz tomorrow and it’ll not take too long for you to get used to seeing names in records with various endings and, of course, you'll not need to compose sentences in Polish. This should be only the first many records you’ll discover as you search for your ancestors.

Wishing you continued good luck with the search,

Dave
Kim K

Replies: 23

Post Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:00 pm      Post subject:

lindqm2 wrote:
Thank you!!! This helps a lot! I did look on Geneteka, that makes sense now to know that there are gaps in their records. Thank you for the explanation on how to find the marriage register and the clarification of what I should ask for! Also the different Rites of the church. This is all super helpful and I love learning all these new things!

One more question: For the Family search, does that mean it's only available on microfilm and not online? Can it only be viewed in Salt Lake City? I've seen things about people having microfilm sent to a local family center or something?

I think you figured out Gąbin but if a source/images are on FamilySearch itself, they are free after registering for an account. One of those sources is Chicago church archives up to circa 1915, where very little is indexed so you have to search the old fashioned way. There are some Evanston churches here, including an "Ascension of our Lord"
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1452409 (Go to the bottom, to "Browse through Images" and you can look by church, which will give you more precise dates)

Cook Co. - Their online index can be very incomplete, especially for earlier dates. There are other index listings through sources like FamilySearch, Ancestry, etc. but yes, you can only see the source records by purchasing copies from the Cook Co. Clerk.
For naturalization papers, if your relative filed in Superior Court those are held downtown. Filings in other courts are held by the NARA archive south of the city. At least as late as 2018, if you came to Cook Co. Court archive in person they allowed you to take cellphone pics of the naturalization papers for free. They preferred you to have the soundex index card or CookCo search result in hand, however.
I cannot vouch for the Vital Records office in the basement levels which may have different access rules/fees.

PGSA - The free indexes for Chicago sources such as obits from the Dziennik Chicagoski and marriages in Polish parishes can help you narrow down dates and locations of church/city records. If you find family members in the obits, you can request those by mail for a small fee. They are in Polish but there are some cheat sheets for vocab. You can also do research on site with the microfilm on certain days of the week and then pay for your printouts.

For Chicago Church records after 1915, I believe up to 1925, I've found it easiest to call the church to confirm how they prefer to handle requests (email, mail, check, etc.)

re: Adding -em
The Polish instrumental case which adds -em to masculine nouns would appear in statements like "Tomasz is a farmer" (Tomasz jest rolnikiem), or "między X a Tomaszem" (between X and Tomasz), or "z Tomaszem" (with Tomasz).

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 Page 3 of 3

Jump to: