PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:51 am      Post subject: Burial records Pomerania

Burial records, we are visiting Poland later in the year and would love to find some grave sites of ancestors. In particular we Rae interested in the Catholic Church at Gardschau, Szczerbiecin and Bojary area. Also the Skarszewy Parish. Can anyone offer advice as to what we can do from New Zealand before we head over. We intend visiting these areas,
Regards,
Terry Kreft

Send e-mail
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:34 pm      Post subject:

Hi Terry,

This is what I can tell you based on my experience of searching for graves during my visit to Poland....

First, there is no tracking system to locate graves in the parishes, I.e., no section, row, plot coordinates. Which means you have to walk and search for graves in the cemetery, or rely on local living relatives to take you to the grave.

Also, if you are looking for early graves from 1800s or earlier, there may or may not be a grave marker. If the grave is later, in 1900s, there is a better chance of a surviving grave stone.

What you can do before you leave

- search for the death records in the Parish churches so you have exact date and parish location
- try to locate living relatives in Poland who may know where the family graves are located

When we visited, I had all the death records for my ancestors and knew exact parish locations and churches. Out of about 25 people, I found 2 graves. And, I only found those because they died later in 1950s, and because I had local help from living relatives or family friends.

We spent hours walking through cemeteries looking, but didn’t find them. In most cases, I ended up asking the parish priest to say a Mass for my ancestors, and lit a lamp for them. Not much success, but it was fun searching.

Maybe other community members have additional suggestions for you.

Wishing you luck,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
terrykreft

Post Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:30 pm      Post subject: Burial records

Thanks Cynthia, haven't had any luck with finding living relatives nor burial records. I have e mailed a local Parish but no response, will try a few others in the area. Any suggestions on how to chase these records would be great. Want to do as much from here before we visit the area,
Cheers,
Terry

Send e-mail
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:20 pm      Post subject:

Hi Terry,

I looked at your past posts to the forum and saw the reply from Marcel. I also did some looking around in the databases I am aware of. Here is what I discovered which should provide you with a start.

First, Family Search has the films digitized for Godziszewo (Gardschau) parish. Most of them are locked, meaning you must go to a family research center near you to view them. Are you near a center or know someone who is? Here is the link to the page that has the Catholic records and civil records:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/results?count=20&placeId=65724&query=%2Bplace%3A%22Poland%2C%20Gda%C5%84sk%2C%20Godziszewo%20(Tczew)%22&subjectsOpen=685630-1,493984-2

Second, there are some records on the above Family Search link that are unlocked, meaning you can search them from home. I specifically looked at the marriage records - years 1778-1903 starts at image 36 at this link:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS2Y-CSD5-J?mode=g&cat=299416

There I found the marriage records for several of the surviving Kreft children: Johann, Paulina, Josephina. They are attached to this reply. You might want to look through those marriage records for about 1840-1903 again to see if I missed anything. Also be aware there seems to be more than one Kreft family in the area, and more than one Johann Kreft. So be careful to match up locations, spouses, and dates.

Third, Geneteka index database has some birth records, and several death records for your Kreft family. Here is the link to the death records. To switch to view births, just select the "urodzenia" tab. When you view these, hover your mouse over the "i" at the end of each line. It will reveal more information (in Polish) that is fairly easy to decipher. Most especially, look for "corka = daughter" or "syn = son" or "zona=wife" and also look for the names: Johann and/or Barbara. For example, Johann Kreft's death is shown for 1865. I know that is your ancestor because hovering over the "i" gives the name of his wife Barbara, and his surviving children as of 1865. Also there is a Rosalie Kreft died in 1846 age 1 yr 6 mos (or 4 yrs 6 mos) which means Johann and Barbara were likely married 1845 or earlier.

Here is the Geneteka link:
http://www.geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=pol&bdm=D&w=11pm&rid=884&search_lastname=Kreft&search_name=&search_lastname2=&search_name2=&from_date=&to_date=&rpp1=&ordertable=

Finally, here is a summary when you put this information together. You can add the married names of the daughters when you get the attached records translated. Knowing their married names will help you locate living relatives.

Johann Kreft, Born about 1817, married about 1845 or earlier to Barbara Kowalska, died 1865 in Bojary, age 48. Survived by wife Barbara and the following children who were alive as of 1865: Johann, Maria, Paulina, Anna, Josephina, Joseph, Francisca, and Franz.

Children:

Rosalie, born abt 1842, d. 04 Apr 1846
Johann Martin, born 1847, Married 1868 see attached
Marianna Brigitta, born 1849
Paulina, born about 1852, Married 1874 see attached
Anna, born about 1853
Josephina, born about 1856, married 1884 see attached
Joseph, born 1859, died 1874
Francisca and Franz, born sometime between 1860-1865 and may have also died between 1860-1874 because they are not mentioned as surviving siblings in Joseph's death record in 1874

Best,
Cynthia

1884 Josephina Kreft marriage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  918.93 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

1884 Josephina Kreft marriage.jpg

1874 Pauline Kreft marriage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  912.36 KB

1874 Pauline Kreft marriage.jpg

1868 Johann Kreft marriage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  720.58 KB

1868 Johann Kreft marriage.jpg

Send e-mail
terrykreft

Post Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:55 pm      Post subject: Burial records

Cynthia, you are a gem and clearly experienced in how to do this. Yes we have a family research centre nearby, so I will pay them a visit with your link. In the meantime I'll check those other links. The marriage records will be important as my grandad I think was the only male to survive.
Once again, thank you,
Regards,
Terry

Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: