PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 16

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:44 am      Post subject: Searching for relatives from Ludzmierz

My grandmother immigrated from Poland to the United States in 1907 when she was 19 years old. She was from the village of Ludzmierz. Her name was Karolina and her surname was Radecki. She had an identical twin sister, whose name was Margaret, another sister, Aneila, and two brothers, Ludwik and Franciszek. She may have also had a brother named, Jan. Franciszek and Jan also immigrated to the US, but returned to Poland at some point, and I assume back to their hometown of Ludzmierz. Grandma corresponded with her twin for many years and also with her brother-in-law, but before she passed away in 1971, that correspondence had ceased.

I am just beginning the search for information about my grandmother's family and would appreciate any insight and information any one could offer.

Thank you.
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:31 am      Post subject: Re: Searching for relatives from Ludzmierz

justvicki wrote:
My grandmother immigrated from Poland to the United States in 1907 when she was 19 years old. She was from the village of Ludzmierz. Her name was Karolina and her surname was Radecki. She had an identical twin sister, whose name was Margaret, another sister, Aneila, and two brothers, Ludwik and Franciszek. She may have also had a brother named, Jan. Franciszek and Jan also immigrated to the US, but returned to Poland at some point, and I assume back to their hometown of Ludzmierz. Grandma corresponded with her twin for many years and also with her brother-in-law, but before she passed away in 1971, that correspondence had ceased.
I am just beginning the search for information about my grandmother's family and would appreciate any insight and information any one could offer.
Thank you.

justvicki,
First of all, welcome to PolishOrigins! I'm glad you joined us, and I'm even more glad to see that your ancestors are from Ludzmierz, the next village over from Dlugopole where my ancestors came from and where my great-grandparents are buried at. I'm not sure how much research you have done already in the US, so I quickly checked what is available online on the name Radecki/Radecka.

Is this is your grandmother? Karolina Radecki Last Place of Residence: Ludrimirz [Ludzmierz]; Age at Arrival: 19; Ethnicity: Austria–Polish; Port of Departure: Hamburg; Port of Arrival: New York; Date of Arrival: 01 Apr 1907; Marital Status: Married; Ship of Travel: Pallanza; Destination in the US: Brother Jan Radecki, Buffalo, NY;
She was accompanied by
Franz Radecki, 38, married (who seems to have been her husband), same information as above for Karolina Radecki; going to join brother-in-law Jan Radecki, Buffalo, NY;
Mikolaj Ziemba, 23, single, Ruthenian, farm laborer, who was going to join a friend in PA;
Wojciech Radecki, 17, single, farm laborer, Polish, whose destination in the US was Buffalo, NY where he was going to join his sister Karolina Radecka; and
Julia Krozel, 24, married, who was going to Chicago to join a friend, Jozef Czaja.

From the information given in the ship manifest, i.e. who Karolina Radecki resp. Radecka (feminine form) and Wojciech Radecki joined in the US, you can already see some family connections. It's not much yet, but at least something to start with.

Last edited by Ute on Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:29 am; edited 2 times in total
justvicki

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:25 am      Post subject:

Ute,

Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly. I was so pleased to see your reply when I logged in today.

Yes, that is indeed my grandmother Karolina Radecki. However, she was not married at that time and the Franz who accompanied her was her brother, who she always referred to as Frank. (It doesn't surprised me that the manifests have errors. I think its amazing they are as accurate as they actually are.) She lived in Buffalo with Jan until my grandfather (Maciej Sojka = Matthew Sayko) followed her to the US and they were married at St. Augustine's Roman Catholic Church in Depew, NY in 1909. They moved from Buffalo, to Old Forge, PA to Gary, WV finally settling in Abbs Valley, VA. They had 16 children and raised 14 to adulthood. Only three are now living, my mother being the oldest of those at 90.

My mother has been the one to tell me what little I know about my grandparents, however, at this point in her life she doesn't remember a lot. I would love to find out more about her family in Ludzmiez while she is still with me and her mental capacity is good. I am so blessed that her her age she doesn't suffer from any type of dementia. Some days she is clearer than I feel I am!

Thank you for clarifying what has always been so confusing in our family regarding my grandmother's surname. Sometimes we would see it spelled Radecki and at other time it would be spelled Radecka. I learned that in Poland feminine names end in an "a", but did not realized it also applied to last names.

I have just recently starting looking into my family tree, mainly through Ancestry.com. I have been able to trace my father's family all the way back to the early 1700's. Their information was well established since they had been in the US since the late 1600's. However, my mother's family is a different story. I have not been able to find much at all about my grandmother, other than the passenger list (which thrilled me) and her death on the SSDI. She never became a citizen, so perhaps that is why. I found a little bit more about my grandfather. I located his Social Security application and his Certificate for Naturalization. I also found his draft registration cards for WWI and WWII. However, I haven't been able to find him anywhere on any of the passenger lists.. The story was that my grandmother's parents did not approve of him (we aren't sure why) and they sent my grandmother to the US with her brother to separate them. However, he followed her over here a year later, and the following year they were married. The rest, as they say, is history. Although his naturalization papers state he was born in Budapest, he was also from near Ludzmierz since he knew my grandmother in Poland. As I mentioned previously, his name was Maciej Sojka which was Americanized to Matthew Sayko. His naturalization papers also show his mother's name as Agnieszka Hudoba and his father's as Szymon Sojka.

Can you please advise me how to start the process of finding out more about my grandparent's family in Ludzmiez? I do not know my grandmother's parents names. She did have brothers named Jan, Ludwig, and Franciszek. She had two sister, Aniela and Margaret, who was her twin. She also had a brother-in-law whose last name was Komperda, but I am not sure if he was married to Aniela.

Any information or guidance you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to hearing from you.

Vicki
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:54 pm      Post subject:

Vicki,
I made a list of all Radecki/Radecka emigrants from Ludzmierz that I could find so far. I'll write more soon.
Ute

Karolina Radecki [Radecka] Residence: Ludrimirz [Ludzmierz]; Age at Arrival: 19; Ethnicity: Austria – Polish; Port of Departure: Hamburg; Port of Arrival: New York; Date of Arrival: 01 Apr 1907; Marital Status: Married [??]; Ship of Travel: Pallanza; Destination in the US: Brother Jan Radecki, Buffalo, NY.

Franz Radecki, 38, married, same information as above for Karolina Radecki [if I remember correctly, the ship manifest listed his destination as his brother-in-law Jan Radecki, Buffalo, NY; have to check that again].

Wojciech Radecki, 17, single, farm laborer, Polish, whose destination in the US was Buffalo, NY where he was going to join his sister Karolina Radecka;

Jan Radecki Residence: Ludzmierz; Immigration: 18 Mar 1902; Age at Arrival: 37; Born: abt. 1865; Source: New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924

Katarzyna Radecka Residence: Ludzmierz; Immigration: 28 Apr 1898; Age at Arrival: 25; Born: abt. 1873; Source: New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924

Karolina Radecha [Radecka] Residence: Ludzmierz; Immigration: 1909; Age at Arrival: 21; Born: abt. 1888; Source: New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924

Franciszek Radecki Residence: Ludzmierz; Immigration: 1909; Age at Arrival: 41; Born: abt. 1868; Source: New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924

Jan Radecki Residence: Ludzmierz; Immigration: 1910; Age at Arrival: 44; Born: abt. 1866; Source: New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924

Jozef Radecki Residence: Ludzmierz; Immigration: 1910; Age at Arrival: 47; Born: abt. 1860; Source: New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924
justvicki

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:59 pm      Post subject:

Ute,

Thanks again for all your help. I do believe that the Jan Radecki that arrived in 1902 and again in 1910 was my grandmother's brother. I also think the Karolina and Franciszek from the Ellis Island list are my grandmother and her brother; all the information is correct except for the arrival dates, which is off by two years. Although I don't recognize any of the other names from my grandmother's and mother's stories, I guess its possible they may be related. Can you tell me if Ludzmierz is a very large town, or if Radecki is a common surname in that area of Poland?

I have told my mother of our correspondence and she is so excited and amazed. I will wait to hear from you.
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:16 am      Post subject:

justvicki wrote:
Ute,

Thanks again for all your help. I do believe that the Jan Radecki that arrived in 1902 and again in 1910 was my grandmother's brother. I also think the Karolina and Franciszek from the Ellis Island list are my grandmother and her brother; all the information is correct except for the arrival dates, which is off by two years. Although I don't recognize any of the other names from my grandmother's and mother's stories, I guess its possible they may be related. Can you tell me if Ludzmierz is a very large town, or if Radecki is a common surname in that area of Poland?

I have told my mother of our correspondence and she is so excited and amazed. I will wait to hear from you.

Vicki,
How wonderful that your mother is still with you at age 90. It would be great if we could find out more about her family in Ludzmierz. When exactly was your great-grandmother born?

I checked some of the Radecki/Radecka ship manifests to find out how the families are connected. I’m very busy today and don't have time to check them all, but here are the first details:

Jan Radecki Residence: Ludzmierz; Immigration: 18 Mar 1902; Age at Arrival: 37; Born: abt. 1865; Marital Status: Married; Ship of Travel: Rhein Port of Departure: Bremen; Destination: Brother Andrzej Radecki, Gallitzin, PA; Source: New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924; Manifest Line Number: 0027.

Karolina Radecha [Radecka] Residence: Ludzmierz; Place of Birth: Ludzmierz; Immigration: Dec 10, 1909; Age at Arrival: 21; Born: abt. 1888; Marital Status: Single; Ship of Travel: Neckar Port of Departure: Bremen Last residence: Father Jan Radecki, Nowy Targ; Destination: Brother-in-law W. Gorr, Smithfield, PA; Source: New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924; Manifest Line Number: 0003

Katarzyna Radecka Last Place of Residence: Buffalo, N.Y. Date of Arrival: Nov 05, 1912 Age at Arrival: 33; Marital Status: Married; Ship of Travel: Finland; Port of Departure: Antwerp; Source: New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924; Manifest Line Number: 0024. Katarzyna was accompanied by two children, Czeslaw Radecki, 2, and Jan Radecki, 9 months old. Katarzyna indicated that her last residence abroad was with her father-in-law Joseph Radecki in Ludzmierz and that her destination in the US was Buffalo, NY where she was going to join her husband Waclaw Radecki in Black Rock, Buffalo, NY [can’t read street name]. She indicates that she had been in the US 1909-1912 and that her two children were US born..

On the same ship, in the line above her is a Kozina, Katarzyna, 20 years old, married, housewife, who is headed to Buffalo, NY also to join her brother-in-law Waclaw Radecki. What is interesting is that her residence was with her father Joseph Radecki in Ludzmierz also, i.e. her last name Kozina is her married name and she was a née Katarzyna Radecka, born abt. 1892. However, it seems she was not on board, her name is lined out in the ship manifest.

I have to quit for now but will write more soon.

Here are some links to where you can read more about the village Ludzmierz and find answers to some of your questions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lud%C5%BAmierz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctuary_of_Our_Lady_of_Lud%C5%BAmierz
http://10.zakopane.miasto.it/index.php?strona,doc,en,atrakcje,1125,1,1647

Ute
justvicki

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:20 pm      Post subject:

Ute,

Once again, thanks for all of your effort. My grandmother was born on 25 September 1987. I have written to the church in New York where my grandparents were married in 1909 hoping that they will have the names of my grandmother's parents since my mother doesn't remember them at all. My mother did tell me something today that I was never aware of. My grandfather's sister and her husband were killed during WWII. They were drug from their home and shot in the yard by Nazi soldiers. Mother said that after that happened Grandpa never spoke of his family again.

Hope you have a good day.
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:59 am      Post subject:

justvicki wrote:
Ute,

Once again, thanks for all of your effort. My grandmother was born on 25 September 1987. I have written to the church in New York where my grandparents were married in 1909 hoping that they will have the names of my grandmother's parents since my mother doesn't remember them at all. My mother did tell me something today that I was never aware of. My grandfather's sister and her husband were killed during WWII. They were drug from their home and shot in the yard by Nazi soldiers. Mother said that after that happened Grandpa never spoke of his family again.

Hope you have a good day.

Vicki,
I looked for your grandparents' church marriage record online, but couldn't find it. But I found a Margarette Pearl Sayko, born in WV, who died 29 Jul 1935 at age 4 months 9 days, death place was Switchback, McDowell, West Virginia, her parents were Matt J. Sayko and Caroline Rodicka (Radecka).
See https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NM54-V53

The original image is viewable at wvculture.org -- see http://www.wvculture.org/vrr/va_view2.aspx?FilmNumber=800212&ImageNumber=362

Source: "West Virginia Deaths, 1853-1970," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NM54-V53 : accessed 27 April 2012), Matt. J. Sayko in entry for Margaret Pearl Sayko (1935).

I also sent you a private message.

Ute
justvicki

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:46 am      Post subject:

Thank you, Ute. I looked for my grandparents marriage record also, and couldn't find it, so decided to write to the church. The death certificate that you found was for the youngest of my grandparents 14 children.

I answered your private message.

Thanks!

Vicki
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:07 am      Post subject:

justvicki wrote:
Thank you, Ute....Vicki

Here is a map for you Vicki. Ute's family is from Dlugpole and mine is Groń. I posted Nowy Targ and Waksmund so you can see the relationship to my new story. All of these villages are within 10 miles of each other, maybe less.

Nowy Targ means New Market, it is the biggest town in the county. You might want to read a some of the stories in the Goral- Highlanders forum. Ute and I have posted quite a few. You are a Góralka from this area in case you didn't know. Witamy! Bill

(click on map to enlarge)

ludzmierz map.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  489.83 KB
 Viewed:  10616 Time(s)

ludzmierz map.png

Send e-mail
justvicki

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:33 pm      Post subject:

Dziękujemy, Bill, thanks to you and Ute I am learning something new every day.

I see that you live in Virginia Beach. I am just a few hours west of there in southern West Virginia. My cousin and his family lived in Virginia Beach for years, but moved to the VA/NC mountains when he retired from Xerox.

Again, thanks for your help and info.

Vicki
Georgia

Replies: 12

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:02 am      Post subject:

Hi Vicki,
It's Georgia from Chicago. I have a Bronislawa Berniece Radecka in my tree. She was married to Hieronimus Hyrek Jerome Tylka who died in 2007. I don't know anything about Bronislawa, but I have family from Rogoznik and Krauszow who celebrated religious rites at Ludzmierz. I was at the church and cemetery in Ludzmierz in 2009. It is a beautiful place. Good luck in your search!
Georgia
justvicki

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:31 pm      Post subject:

Georgia,

Just sent you a private message with some information.
Raphael_Jones

Replies: 17

Post Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:29 pm      Post subject: Ludzmierz

My ancestor is Joseph Czaja of Ludmierz. He was born on January 19, 1880. He came to Chicago, and married Regina Baran of Gronkow. If there is any informatin you know please contact me at my email.

[email protected]
Raphael_Jones

Replies: 17

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:22 pm      Post subject: Re: Ludzmierz

Raphael_Jones wrote:
My ancestor is Joseph Czaja of Ludmierz. He was born on January 19, 1880. He came to Chicago, and married Regina Baran of Gronkow. If there is any informatin you know please contact me at my email.

[email protected]

Dear Vicki, this is on family search.org. I know this is very late, but if you haven't found out about your great-grandparents, here are there names. I also private messaged you.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KL73-GRS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: