PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:20 am      Post subject: Mikulicz

Hi I noticed that you used Mikulicz in one of your articles on Polish surnames. I was wondering if you had any info on that name. I went to Poland last year and it was wonderful, especially the food, yum. Thanks.
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:33 am      Post subject:

Welcome to the Forum Alexk32,

We are on vacation with family now. When only I am back I will check information about Mikulicz and reply you. We plan to be at home at the beginning of next week.

Where have you been in Poland? Have you visited your ancestors' places?

I and many of my guests agree that food is one of big attractions here, especially if you have opportunity to be in the countryside Very Happy.
Send e-mail
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:54 am      Post subject:

Mik-; Mikulicz from Polish first name Mikołaj . The names is of Greek origins of Nikolaos, nike - "victory" + laos - "people". Latin form: Nicolaus; English: Nicholas. The first name Mikołaj is known in Poland since 12th century.

In 2002 there were 284 people by the surname Mikulicz living in Poland and the most lived in Brodnica ( 18 ) and Iława ( 16 ) areas.

In 19th century there were two noble Mikulicz families living on territory of an old Republic of Both nations:

Mikulicz coat of arms Mikulicz living in Mozyrz region (Mozyr on today's Belorus territory). (As you noticed, example of the surname and coat of arms is mentioned in article How Surnames Came Into Being in Poland)

Mikulicz coat of arms Gozdawa living in Lithuania.

Sources:
- Nazwiska Polaków (Surnames of Poles) by proffesor Kazimierz Rymut, Krakow 2001.

- Spis Szlachty Polskiej (Register of Polish Nobility) compiled by Jerzy Sewer count Dunin-Borkowski and published in 1887 in Lwow.

- Database of surnames used in Poland compiled in 2002 by prof. K.Rymut - Dictionary of Surnames in Current Use in Poland.
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: