PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:19 am      Post subject: Wilinski from Wloclawek

I am looking for information on my Grandfather Walter Wilinski. I know that he was from Wloclawek and born in 1889.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you!

marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:47 am      Post subject: Re: Wilinski from Wloclawek

VWRank61 wrote:
I am looking for information on my Grandfather Walter Wilinski. I know that he was from Wloclawek and born in 1889.

Thank you!

I have checked 1889 Włocławek romancatholic and evangelic parish church records and there was no Wiliński Walter there. Are You sure it was 1889?

PAYPAL: [email protected]
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:32 am      Post subject: Re: Wilinski from Wloclawek

VWRank61 wrote:

Thank you!

Hi VWRANK,

Polish immigrants who used the name Walter in the USA almost always had the given name Władysław. The English version of Władysław is Ladislaus but many immigrants decided to call themselves Walter, which fit better into the English speaking world. Also, birth years can be off. Finally, when a man said he was from Włocławek he could have meant he was from the town or he may have meant that he was from the powiat (like our county) of Włocławek, which more often than not was what he meant. It was sort of like someone saying that he is from NY— it could be either the city or the state.

There is a Władysław Wilinski indexed as being born in Chodecz (which was in the powiat of Włocławek) in 1888. Here is a link to Geneteka, which has an index of individuals born in Kujawsko-Pomorskie, where the town and the powiat of Włocławek are located: http://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=pol&bdm=B&w=02kp&rid=B&search_lastname=wilinski&search_name=wladyslaw&search_lastname2=&search_name2=&from_date=&to_date=

Attached is a map of the powiat of Włocławek from 1907.

To do fruitful research in Poland it would be necessary to have additional info from this side of the pond.

Wishing you success,

Dave

06.Wloclawski.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  109.46 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

06.Wloclawski.jpg

VWRank61

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:50 am      Post subject: Re: Wilinski from Wloclawek

marcelproust wrote:
VWRank61 wrote:

Thank you!

I have checked 1889 Włocławek romancatholic and evangelic parish church records and there was no Wiliński Walter there. Are You sure it was 1889?

marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:59 am      Post subject: Re: Wilinski from Wloclawek

VWRank61 wrote:
marcelproust wrote:
VWRank61 wrote:

Thank you!

?

PAYPAL: [email protected]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: